PDA

View Full Version : Anonymous posts should be outlawed

09-02-2002, 02:50 PM
I would like to see the posts restricted to registered forum members with known email addresses, i.e. anonymous and non-member posts would not be allowed. Also no duplicate user names or multiple user names per mail box should be allowed.

Just my 2 cents

nAz
09-02-2002, 03:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I would like to see the posts restricted to registered forum members with known email addresses, i.e. anonymous and non-member posts would not be allowed. Also no duplicate user names or multiple user names per mail box should be allowed.

Just my 2 cents <hr></blockquote>

I agree! Although you may scare off some Pros from posting. just one things...why the Fukk did you post anonymously?

bluewolf
09-03-2002, 07:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I would like to see the posts restricted to registered forum members with known email addresses, i.e. anonymous and non-member posts would not be allowed. Also no duplicate user names or multiple user names per mail box should be allowed.

Just my 2 cents <hr></blockquote>

this is pretty funny to post as anonymous and say anon posts should not be allowed.

blah blah blah

bluewolf

09-03-2002, 07:58 AM

Chris Cass
09-03-2002, 08:06 AM
Hey wait a minute Whitewolf,

I didn't sign anything. LOL Your right though and I'm guilty of it many times too. I'm trying to clean up my act. However, that doesn't leave me with too many other words.

Regards,

C.C.

09-03-2002, 08:34 AM
Chris Cass... "posting your ignorance isn't necessary, it is an understood fact by members of this forum". Anonymity is sometimes used by those that seek refuge from Bullies, Political Tyrants &amp; even some of your own friends, that don't have the heart to make that profound statement to your face.

Fran Crimi
09-03-2002, 09:08 AM
Quote: "Anonymity is sometimes used by those that seek refuge from Bullies, Political Tyrants &amp; even some of your own friends, that don't have the heart to make that profound statement to your face."

Heartless, you say, eh?

Yep. I'd have to agree with that.

Coward: (Websters) one who shows disgraceful fear or timidity.

rackmup
09-03-2002, 09:21 AM
Ms. Crimi,

How is it that you have "newbie" status? You've been here longer than most.

Just curious...

Regards,

Ken

09-03-2002, 10:17 AM

bluewolf
09-03-2002, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> By using the Cue Chalk Board you agree not to post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind...... <hr></blockquote>

a rule that is not enforced is no rule. in frans thread adult language, this was covered and the majority wanted no censorship.

besides,every email list i have ever been on states these same rules.this is a legal thing.it protects the list owners in case things get out of hand and start threatening law suits. then the owner can say, see you agreed to these rules.bluewolf

Sid_Vicious
09-03-2002, 11:29 AM

bluewolf
09-03-2002, 11:43 AM
thanks. I do love my dogs.and when i have to make that final decision, i grieve big time.

bluewolf

Sid_Vicious
09-03-2002, 11:47 AM
Yea Ken you already got your answer...Fran's post name has always been in black as long as I can remember. I say, "Welcome to the registered family Fran." sid

Karatemom
09-03-2002, 12:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Chris Cass... "posting your ignorance isn't necessary, it is an understood fact by members of this forum". Anonymity is sometimes used by those that seek refuge from Bullies, Political Tyrants &amp; even some of your own friends, that don't have the heart to make that profound statement to your face. <hr></blockquote>

I'd rather be ignorant any day than afraid of speaking up for myself. Why so afraid to show your face? Who cares! It's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. That's what this board is all about. If you're going to post anonymously about the thickness of a hit, or what kind of cue you should be using, go ahead. However, if you're going to anonymously dogg someone, you need to give them the right to come back at you. Not possible if you hide.

I knew anonymity can mean cowardness, but I did not realize that it meant that you decide what is ignorant and what is not.

However, on Chris' behalf, myself and I'm sure others on the board that know Chris, realized that his post was in jest. I guess anonymous = coward = clueless.

Heide

Sid_Vicious
09-03-2002, 12:05 PM
Seems to me that this board is darn(see the self control) tame. Sure there's an odd ball from time to time with a crude mouth, but it's rare. The thing as I see it that happens to crop here is some people try to over-dictate to the rest of us for their particular level of what they see offensive. Is that what we all want to do, model our text around the whims of "goody-goody 2-shoes" on any given day of their personal "revival?" The net is open, and as long as it stays moderate here(which I firmly benchmark us as a group, as very good), I say to hell with profanity concerns. Lastly, pool and billiards has continued to have a certain roguish nature in itself,,,I say just chill out and let the board motor on as-is until there's a real reason to criticize. We're doin' all right in my honest, sincere, personal opinion!!!sid~~~had to be just a little devilish, after all I AM SID VICIOUS now aren't I? ;-)

TomBrooklyn
09-03-2002, 12:20 PM
I would like to see the IPs dropped from the posts. Our phone numbers are not listed with every post, why should our IPs be? There are computer savvy people out there that may try to hack your computer once they know your IP.

Sid_Vicious
09-03-2002, 01:18 PM
You're right Tom. I had a glimpse at some of the net traffic monitors when I was in MCSE school, and it was pretty scarey back then in 1998 to see how easy it was to look into the basic and generic routine of people's e-mail conversations. There's lots of room for damage by those who are intent on causing it,,,no reason to give them extra stuff to use against us. I'd say drop the IP, not a doubt..sid

09-03-2002, 03:43 PM
What would knowing a poster's name do for you? I also don't think it would discourage people from posting the types of things they do now. Nobody uses their real name anyway (well, most don't. Most use a nickname of some sort). If they were to go to a "members only" format, there would be people who don't like that either. BD provides a forum for people to post on. I don't think we have the right to complain about "how" they provide that forum.

09-03-2002, 04:25 PM
One or two avalanches of neo-Nazi hate mail are enough to drive anyone to anonymity (although fortunately, the CCB hasn't been a source for this).

Although a CCB handle might create the appearance of an identity that you can relate to and trust, it doesn't. The same person might post under several different aliases with several different characters, just for fun. Some of the more tasteless posts haven't been started by anonymous posters.

Tom_In_Cincy
09-03-2002, 05:09 PM
Sid
I am safely hidden behind a router and hub and software firewall.. working just fine for me.. try to ping 192.168.0.4 and see what you get.. this is my ip address that is asigned.. found by going to a command prompt and typing in c:\ipconfig (win2K) What you see is my IP Address assigned to my cable modem.. and that is all..

heater451
09-03-2002, 05:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> What would knowing a poster's name do for you? . . .<hr></blockquote>It makes it easier to know whom to avoid.

heater451
09-03-2002, 05:54 PM
That IP address is part of your internal network. Linksys routers/hubs use the 192.168.xxx.xxx settings. If you don't have an actual connection, but have a network card, windows assigns 169.-something (or is that something.169.something?)

The number to ping would be the "24.29.8.197", which is listed with your post. In fact, pinging it with the attributes switch returns "dchp024-029-008-197.cinci.rr.com", which pretty much tells us that you're in Cincinatti (as if your nick didn't)--using HTTP through IE tells me that you use "AroundCinci" as your ISP. A trace route get's me pretty much the same.

If I had a port scanner, I might be able to get somewhere, but that would also require a lack of security on your part.

Now, if I worked for the ISP, then I'm sure it would be a cakewalk, but if I worked there, I'm sure there would be safeguards---besides, I'm sure there would be bigger fish to fry. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

~~btw, I am by no means a "hacker", but maybe someday. . . .

================

Sid_Vicious
09-03-2002, 08:53 PM
The thing average computer users do and don't know about vulnerability actually keeps many people away from the web. If I were to try and talk half my un-connected friends into joining the internet crew, and advised them that they could be safe by adding a router, putting up a firewall, "HUH! Slow down, back the truck up!".......well that's about as far as those friends would listen. It is simply a bad idea for BD to post these strings(IMHO)

I'm not negative about your post, you did things 100%, only thing is that it should not have to be so tricky for average people to play here on this board, meaning the IP address is a liability to what I call average computer jockeys...sid

Voodoo Daddy
09-03-2002, 09:02 PM
Are you serious? A person actually hides behind an "Anonymous" to duck bullies and whatevr-the-hell else you said. Pointing out Chris Cass while wearing your Brittany Spears mask is pretty weak if you ask me. Show yourself...better yet dont, we really dont need nor want to know!! Now, back to lurking.....

TomBrooklyn
09-04-2002, 12:44 AM
My computers are behind a hardware firewall also. But how many posters are using them? And even those that are may need or want to open ports, they then become suseptible to attack. Not thats it's going to happen every day, but no type of assault happens every day. One still doesn't set oneself up for it and then hope it doesn't happen.

09-04-2002, 01:39 AM
Yeah. The last thing one needs is to have their computer hacked into!

heater451
09-04-2002, 09:25 AM
Sid,

The average user should probably worry more about viruses, than having their PC hacked. A possible exception might be anyone with an 'always on' connection, like cable or DSL, especially if they leave their system on all the time. A business is more at risk, not only because of this, but because they are a more realistic target, information-wise. IMO, an average user would be more at risk for their machine being used in a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack, if anything, and that's not incredibly likely. ( http://grc.com/dos/drdos.htm )

Having a static IP address can also be an issue, but most ISPs assign dynamic IP addresses--changing it everytime you connect to the service. (This is more to do with a shrinking number of IPs available, than any security design on their part, but it works to your favor.)

Some people freak out, if they discover they are being pinged often, even though it's sometimes normal, as it may be their very own ISP. A strange thing, however, is that running ZoneAlarm is supposed to make you appear invisible IP-wise, so I don't exactly know what number would be getting pinged. A port scan should raise the alarm a little more. . . .

Another thing, certain firewall apps, like Black Ice Defender, don't hide the IP, but try to protect the one that you have. The shortcoming of this, as opposed to ZoneAlarm, is that you're still 'visible'.

As to the numbers being posted on the board, the idea may have been to enable us to tell if "Anonymous" posters are the same, or possible to tell if someone has more than one member account (again, an identity issue). But, with the combination of shared IP numbers, and dynamic ones, I don't know how effective it is. (You can see that my IP changes, if you check the one with this post, and the one(s) that I posted yesterday.)

[Actually, I think I will PM it Admin, and see what s/he says about the IP addresses.]

Overall, I don't think your friends wold have to worry about much. However, I do think that most people will eventually want more than one computer at home, so adding a router/hub would probably be desired, and a lot of these have hardware firewalls built in.

==========================

heater451
09-04-2002, 09:35 AM
FYI

www.pcmag.com/article2/0 (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0),4149,63336,00.asp

(Copy and Past this into the browser--the commas kill the link)

===================

bluewolf
09-04-2002, 10:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> I would like to see the IPs dropped from the posts. Our phone numbers are not listed with every post, why should our IPs be? There are computer savvy people out there that may try to hack your computer once they know your IP. <hr></blockquote>

i definately agree with this.

bluewolf

TomBrooklyn
09-04-2002, 02:09 PM
More and more people are going to dsl/cable. It is undoubtedly the future. Many of those will leave their computers on 24/7 exactly the condition we agree is most succespible to hacking. My ISP does not change my IP for weeks at a clip although they say they change it every 24 hrs, it simply is not true. And the ISP use a limited range of IPs so your will not change very much and you can be reaquired.

Once people get routers, they will still be subject to port scans.

Your point seems to be, don't worry, you probably won't get hacked. My point is, take the IPs off the posts so no one has it and you don't have to worry about them trying to specifically hack you.

I see no reason to list phone numbers of those who don't want them listed on the WORLD WIDE web. I see no reason to list IPs either.

heater451
09-04-2002, 03:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> . . .My ISP does not change my IP for weeks at a clip although they say they change it every 24 hrs, it simply is not true. And the ISP use a limited range of IPs so your will not change very much and you can be reaquired. <hr></blockquote>I think that some routers also timeout their connection, and then renew the IP upon re-connect, so that is something of a help--You do have a point about the limited range of addresses. . . .

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>Once people get routers, they will still be subject to port scans.<hr></blockquote>Yes, but if they keep up with security updates and such (Windows), and don't specifically open ports, they won't be vulrable there. I don't know of any default, open ports, beyond the "Universal Plug and Play" (UPnP) that's in WinXP (and Me, I think). However, my knowledge of open ports is pretty much limited to telnet--and that's not a lot either. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>Your point seems to be, don't worry, you probably won't get hacked. My point is, take the IPs off the posts so no one has it and you don't have to worry about them trying to specifically hack you.

I see no reason to list phone numbers of those who don't want them listed on the WORLD WIDE web. I see no reason to list IPs either. <hr></blockquote>You are correct about my point. I believe that numerical anonymity and general security awareness is sufficient for the 'average user'. I also agree with you, regarding posting the IPs, but I'm waiting on an answer from the Admin, as to whether they have a reason for doing it, or if it's supposed to be a scare tactic, like "Look, everyone else can see your IP!"--for whatever that's worth. . . .I take your point to also mean, "don't give them any help!"

BTW, although you mention "specifically hack you", from the IP, the action may take place in the other order. That is, ports may be scanned across IPs, and then a target is zeroed in on--not that an individual IP would be attacked straight off. I would think that anyone intent on getting "You" would have done their homework in other areas, and found a way in by simpler means. And, anyone doing that, like a disgruntled employee or an "ex", is probably after your machine for information, or to jack it up, in order to piss you off. In any case, it would probably be a ridiculous amount of work to go through, to hunt down someones IP address, just to screw with them, especially if other avenues were available.

[Aside]Don't underestimate the efficiency of "soft hacking" either(I think there is also another term for it. . . .), a lot of information can be gathered by using the phone and just talking to people--I think that's why stalkers do so well. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Oh, I just reread your prior post, about needing/wanting to open ports--again, someone can probably just 'trip across' the port, without knowing your IP. . . .Unfortunately, that may just be unavoidable sometime (Although, setting up as a VPN, instead of leaving a port open might work.)

This reminds me of a friend, who would sometimes say, "Paranoia pays off every time, eventually."

. . . .As for phone numbers on the web--this shouldn't be any different than the white pages--although, I think some marketing companies may provide this information when they shouldn't.

========================

09-05-2002, 10:15 AM

Sid_Vicious
09-09-2002, 09:25 PM
"My favorite cuss word is M*Fo, and Sid, I like the use of asterisks in cuss words - it is so courteous don't you think? "

M*Fo'in right it is! ;-) sid

TomBrooklyn
10-21-2002, 01:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> I would like to see the IPs dropped from the posts. Our phone numbers are not listed with every post, why should our IPs be? There are computer savvy people out there that may try to hack your computer once they know your IP. <hr></blockquote>I was wrong about persons being able to hack your computer just because they know your IP. IPs can be found out any number of ways. I was also wrong about not accurately percieving the effect that an IP has on the type of posts that get put up on the board. BD CCB has showed IPs since it's inception up until recently. There was never any problem with it. I apologize for being a proponent of an unwise idea. =TB=

10-21-2002, 07:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: rackmup:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Ms. Crimi,

I think she just recently registered. Now we can see her lovely pic. <hr></blockquote>

You must be really thick in the head. Or willfully blind.
That is a 10 year old pic of Fran, not unlike the 15-year-old pic that she shamelessly plugs on her web site. Just do a Google "Picture Search" and you will see her in her real unmitigated glory.

Like nAz says: " Frankie Hernandez gets 7-10 students a week at Corners Billiards. Fran gets 1-2 a month".

Enough said.

nAz
10-21-2002, 08:12 PM
I said that?

TomBrooklyn
10-21-2002, 09:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I would like to see the posts restricted to registered forum members, i.e. anonymous posts not be allowed. <hr></blockquote>I didn't percieve anonymous postings to be a major problem before the removal of IP addresses. Most of the anon hubbubs that arose were due to interest in their posts and replies by forum regulars anyway.

That however, was before IP addys were removed. When IP addys are shown, the poster is not really anonymous. They are actually far less anonymous than someone with a made-up handle and no IP.

Before, some of the distinguished members of the pool community who posted either occassionally or frequently had only to put up with the occassional pot shot from the average player/poster. That should not be overly surprising, as the greater a persons accomplishments and notoriety, the more attention they attract. It is unrealistic to expect that a hundred per cent of that attention will be positive or without critisism.

Now however, they are subjected not only to critisism, but to personal insults by anyone who wants to write from the shadows without the tracability of an IP. Thats an anonymity far beyond what was ever on CCB before. These insults are being written by persons who for the most part would be unwilling to write them if their IP address was shown.

It is fully to be expected that the more accomplished and well known a person is within the pool community, the less likely they will be willing to participate in this forum as it now operates.

This board is quickly becoming like the board at that other place...not that there's anything wrong with that... If you like that sort of thing.
=TB=

10-22-2002, 01:27 AM
Hey Jerk, if you're so obsessed with Fran, get your research right. She's teaching college courses in pool. Um....I believe there are more than two students. LMFAO!!!!!

Wally_in_Cincy
10-22-2002, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>
*snip* It is fully to be expected that the more accomplished and well known a person is within the pool community, the less likely they will be willing to participate in this forum as it now operates.

This board is quickly becoming like the board at that other place...*snip* <hr></blockquote>

Yep. It's like a nightmare..........How sad.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-22-2002, 07:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr>
You must be really thick in the head. Or willfully blind.
That is a 10 year old pic of Fran, not unlike the 15-year-old pic that she shamelessly plugs on her web site. Just do a Google "Picture Search" and you will see her in her real unmitigated glory.

Like nAz says: " Frankie Hernandez gets 7-10 students a week at Corners Billiards. Fran gets 1-2 a month".

Enough said. <hr></blockquote>

Listen up bitch, I've seen Fran in person and she is quite attractive. The true ugliness is in the heart of someone who would write the garbage above. Crawl back into the primordial soup knuckle-dragger.

10-22-2002, 03:24 PM
"Vitriol" hah?

First time you dragged out a post-grade school word without having consulted or quoted a dictionary?

The role of CCB roughian obviously suits you, ye nutter of ill grace. Poignancy, refinement, and subtlety, however, will always escape you.

Sharpest knife in the drawer you are not. By far.

And oh, Wallace my boy, toxicity doesn't wear well. It always seems to seep from the inside out.

Honest, just look at that Flan Crimping dish.

10-22-2002, 04:59 PM
Did your momma beat you when you were little? Is that your problem? Hahahahahah! You class-A moron! Go crawl back under your rock. It's nice and damp there where you can breed your disease!!!! LMFAO!!!!

Wally_in_Cincy
10-23-2002, 07:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> "Vitriol" hah?

First time you dragged out a post-grade school word without having consulted or quoted a dictionary?

The role of CCB roughian obviously suits you, ye nutter of ill grace. Poignancy, refinement, and subtlety, however, will always escape you.

Sharpest knife in the drawer you are not. By far.

And oh, Wallace my boy, toxicity doesn't wear well. It always seems to seep from the inside out.

Honest, just look at that Flan Crimping dish. <hr></blockquote>

I know a whole bunch of other words too.

And your toxicity is seeping out also. May I suggest a butt plug?

Sincerely,

Your pal,

10-23-2002, 04:55 PM
WALL-NUTTY, I just found out who you really are. God, I cannot quit laughing. Some other guys called you a few other names too, but I like your real name.
This BOARD is just like all of the other CHAT ROOMS, the CCB has "sixteen lonely AOLers" trying to gain control of the subject matter. It is pathetic isn't it WALL-NUTTY?
The "BOARD Members" all run to this side of the room for that player, then they run over to the other side of the room for some Cue Maker, then to the middle of the floor for some Case Maker &amp; if someone does not agree with the "BOARD", they are verbally humiliated, abused &amp; met with "attitudes".
The reason for anonimity is protection from the "BOARD". The FREE COUNTRY phrase doesn't mean beans here at this CHAT ROOM, neither does "turn the page" or "change channels".

Wally_in_Cincy
10-24-2002, 06:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> WALL-NUTTY, I just found out who you really are. God, I cannot quit laughing. Some other guys called you a few other names too, but I like your real name.
This BOARD is just like all of the other CHAT ROOMS, the CCB has "sixteen lonely AOLers" trying to gain control of the subject matter. It is pathetic isn't it WALL-NUTTY?
The "BOARD Members" all run to this side of the room for that player, then they run over to the other side of the room for some Cue Maker, then to the middle of the floor for some Case Maker &amp; if someone does not agree with the "BOARD", they are verbally humiliated, abused &amp; met with "attitudes".
The reason for anonimity is protection from the "BOARD". The FREE COUNTRY phrase doesn't mean beans here at this CHAT ROOM, neither does "turn the page" or "change channels".
<hr></blockquote>

So who am I? I've never claimed to be anybody other than me. I've never lied about my game. I've never "abused" or "verbally humiliated" anyone unless they did it first. I'm so pleased that you had a good laugh about this. Laughter is healthy. Please introduce yourself sometime. Have a nice day.