PDA

View Full Version : UPA Statement on Earl's Resignation

WaltVA
09-02-2002, 06:23 PM
The UPA has posted an official statement concerning Earl Strickland's resignation on AZ Billiards forum.

Walt in VA

Troy
09-02-2002, 06:46 PM
This is much easier than sending readers to AZB.....

Copied without permission from AZBilliards..... Thank you Mike !!!
-------------------------------------------------------------
UPA Official Statement on Earl Strickland's Resignation

Posted By: UPA Board <info@upatour.com>
Date: September 2, 2002, at 4:17 p.m.

Dear Fans, Patrons, & Players

The UPA Board would like to clarify the facts concerning Mr. Earl Strickland, former member of the UPA. We originally felt that this should have been a more private matter but it seems Mr. Strickland desires otherwise. Normally the UPA does not get directly involved in forum issues as they often lead to heated debates with no winning outcomes. However, in this case, we would like to clarify the facts. The following was put together in an official UPA investigation from eyewitness accounts from UPA Board Members, UPA Staff, UPA Referees, and fans attending the Coliseum 9-Ball Open in Hampton, VA on August 10th, 2002.

Synopsis

Mr. Strickland, upon losing his match to Efren Reyes, immediately approached UPA President, Charlie Williams, for his check. Mr. Williams asked Mr. Strickland to wait a few minutes to get his check. Apparently Mr. Strickland was in a hurry to leave as he told Mr. Williams to mail him his check. Shortly thereafter, Mr. Strickland returned and inquired how much he had won. Mr. Williams responded and again Mr. Strickland left in a huff.

Afterwards Mr. Strickland was seen outside the arena apparently very aggravated. In front of many fans, UPA Referees and a UPA staff member, Mr. Strickland did the following:

1. Mr. Strickland demeaned the UPA verbally
2. Mr. Strickland verbally announced that he would not support nor attend any future UPA events
3. Mr. Strickland verbally announced that he was through with the UPA
4. Mr. Strickland dramatically took his UPA patch and threw it in a garbage disposal.

The UPA General Counsel legally defined this as a resignation (in most states a verbal resignation is sufficient). Because UPA players are not contracted to play, a member may quit at any time. The UPA, following Mr. Strickland?s verbal resignation, accepted Mr. Strickland?s resignation by certified letter.

The UPA made several attempts to contact Mr. Strickland through phone calls to his home, cell phone, and local poolroom. The UPA also sent him a notice in the mail. But Mr. Strickland could not be reached.

On the issue of his money, his check was sent immediately to the address he had listed on his membership application. Whether he still lives at the address is unknown and of course is the responsibility of the individual player to make any address corrections.

The action to accept Mr. Strickland?s resignation was a straightforward membership action and NOT an individual decision.

Sincerely
The UPA Board of Directors & Advisors

Jack Maginnis- UPA General Counsel & UPA Board Member
Steve Choy- UPA Advisor
Wayne Catledge- UPA Advisor
Phil Muller- UPA Vice-President & UPA Board Business Member
Charlie Williams- UPA President & Player Representative
Jeremy Jones- UPA Board Player Representative
Max Eberle- UPA Board Player Representative

09-02-2002, 07:16 PM
Hi,
Mike Howerton works harder than anyone on his site. The message was posted on his site. Let's not take his site for granted. i do not want to see it disappear. Thanks for a great place for pool info Mr. Howerton.

no teeth Joe

AzHousePro
09-02-2002, 08:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: no teethjoe:</font><hr> Hi,
Mike Howerton works harder than anyone on his site. The message was posted on his site. Let's not take his site for granted. i do not want to see it disappear. Thanks for a great place for pool info Mr. Howerton.

no teeth Joe <hr></blockquote>

Thanks Joe. I appreciate the thought.

I would be willing to put the time I spend working on the site up against the time spent by any other billiards webmaster. When a site beats me to news, I report the news and where it came from. When a post is made in another sites forums, I certainly don't copy the post over to mine to get people to come to my site.

Mike

Troy
09-02-2002, 08:09 PM
Mike, I appologize if I stepped on any toes. I simply thought this was important enough to spread around.

I am sorry I didn't check with you first.

Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: AzHousePro:</font><hr>

I would be willing to put the time I spend working on the site up against the time spent by any other billiards webmaster. When a site beats me to news, I report the news and where it came from. When a post is made in another sites forums, I certainly don't copy the post over to mine to get people to come to my site.

Mike <hr></blockquote>

Tom_In_Cincy
09-02-2002, 08:12 PM
Mike,

People visit www.azbilliards.com (http://www.azbilliards.com) to find out the most accurate info available about what is happening in Billiards

09-02-2002, 11:27 PM
Partial snip:
2. Mr. Strickland verbally announced that he would not support nor attend any future UPA events
3. Mr. Strickland verbally announced that he was through
with the UPA
4. Mr. Strickland dramatically took his UPA patch and threw it in a garbage disposal.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::

I don't see anyplace where it says Mr. Strickland actually resigned. I can understand the UPA not likely Strickland's words &amp; actions. But this in America and here people are permitted to speak their piece even when they say stuff against organizations that they belong to. But I don't believe he ever said he was resigning from the UPA. And if Mr. Strickland never offered a resignation, then the UPA kicked him out and in fact "DID NOT" accept his resignation. Did the UPA even have enough class to refund Mr. Strickland's fees when the kicked him out?

09-03-2002, 12:45 AM
The following was put together in an official UPA investigation from eyewitness accounts from UPA Board Members, UPA Staff, UPA Referees, and fans attending the Coliseum 9-Ball Open in Hampton, VA on August 10th, 2002.

Mr. Strickland, upon losing his match to (kindly insert anyone's name here) immediately approached UPA President, Charlie Williams, for his check. Mr. Williams asked Mr. Strickland to wait a few minutes to get his check. Apparently Mr. Strickland was in a hurry to leave as he told Mr. Williams to mail him his check. Shortly thereafter, Mr. Strickland returned and inquired how much he had won. Mr. Williams responded and again Mr. Strickland left in a huff.

Afterwards Mr. Strickland was seen outside the arena apparently very aggravated. In front of many fans, UPA Referees and a UPA staff member, Mr. Strickland did the following:

3. Mr. Strickland verbally announced that he was through with the UPA

<hr></blockquote>

You act like this is something new ?This is something the UPA didn't anticipate?

Strickland does this EVERY TIME he loses.Not once in a while ... EVERY TIME.

You needed an 'official UPA investigation from eyewitness accounts' to garner this intelligence? /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

007 you are not.

The Open ...Earl ...take care of these issues behind closed doors,certainly not on the internet.It's interesting but unprofessional imo.BS

TomBrooklyn
09-03-2002, 12:54 AM
The management of the UPA is getting a lot of good business experience as they go along. Too bad this trial and error learning process is directly affecting many of the highest profile players and tournaments in pool.

=TB=

09-03-2002, 01:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: AzHousePro:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: no teethjoe:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Hi,

no teeth Joe &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Mike <hr></blockquote>

COLD ...ICE COLD

You work your fingers down to the bone trying to get one up on the other media giant(a totally permitable and acceptable business practice)and what happens?

COLD ... ICE COLD

Knocking your action big time OUCH!BS