PDA

View Full Version : Leo Burnett & The Marlboro Man

wolfdancer
11-12-2010, 08:55 PM
warning...non-political post...proceed with caution...
Leo Burnett. Who he, one might ask?

"Man With A Black Bag

" I read an anecdote once about a town that loses its power. A complete outage.

Nobody can figure out how to repair the power apparatus until someone remembers an old, old electrical engineer who had installed the system many years before. The town fathers go out and find him and he walks into the plant, takes out a little mallet, finds a certain switch, goes tap-tap-tap, and the lights go back on all over town.
The old gent sends the town a bill for a thousand dollars and two cents, itemized as follows: tapping, 2 cents.

Knowing where to tap, $1,000."

But is was in advertising where he really shined
The Jolly Green Giant, Tony the Tiger, Snap-Crackle-and-Pop, The Pillsbury Doughboy, Morris the Cat, Charlie the Tuna, The Lonely Maytag Repairman, The Good Hands of Allstate, the friendly skies of United and, most successfully of all, The Marlboro Man all emerged from the large black bags that were often so overstuffed the wonder was that Leo could lift them.
In December of 1998, Time magazine cleared its throat importantly and declared its choices for the most influential business geniuses of the century: Henry Ford, David Sarnoff, Akia Morita, Bill Gates and ninety-six others. Only one advertising man made the list, and it was Leo."

About the only "tapping" you'll see around here, are the Republican faithful..."tap dancing" around issues....
( what a lead in to that line )
So how did I get from Fast Larry to Leo......
I was going to make some smart *** tie in of Larry's dog to the dog Tigh in the Brown shoes ads.
(tie in/Tigh in...no pun intended)
It's time for a drink...I think my blood alcohol level is dangerously low.....
getchercancerstickshere (http://http://www.chilit.org/Papers%20by%20author/Taubeneck%20-%20Man%20with%20a%20black%20bag.htm)

Gayle in MD
11-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Funny,
"I'm Buster Brown. I live in a shoe. Here's my dog tigh, look for him in there too."

Was it "here's" or "he's" my dog tigh... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Do you remember the cat, Midnight?
G.

wolfdancer
11-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Midnight? did he hang around at the Oasis?
Sorry, don't remember, but at my age,
I've forgotten more then I ever learned

Gayle in MD
11-16-2010, 04:28 AM
There was a sunday morning kids show when I was little. Buster Brown Shoes, was the sponsor.

The cat, Midnight, was part of the program. The cat said one word, "Nice"....in a high tone pitch...

There was a frog, too, "Plunk your magic pluncker, Froggieeeeeyyyyy!.....Boyyyynnng!"

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

wolfdancer
11-16-2010, 09:18 PM
neither, as I remember..."that's my dog..."
Midnight, no....but I do remember "Captain Midnite, and his niece, Penny (I believe) Amazing what's locked in there deep within the recesses of our minds. AS my Mom used to say..."I have a photogenic memory" I'm not sure what she meant by that, but it sounded good.