PDA

View Full Version : A review of "DECISION POINTS"

LWW
11-14-2010, 05:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 14pt'><u>'DECISION POINTS'</u>

"Well-written, and interesting from start to finish. I think people of all political stripes should read it.

George W. Bush also gives readers a good sense of what it's like to be president, to take the responsibilities of the office seriously, do what you think is right, and let history be the judge. The book may not change the minds of those who disagree with decisions President Bush made, but it will help you to understand better the forces that moulded him, and the convictions that drove him to make those decisions."</span>

<span style='font-size: 11pt'>-William Jefferson Clinton-</span></div></div>

OH DEAR! (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/us-politics/8130366/Bill-Clinton-praises-George-W-Bushs-book.html)

LWW

hondo
11-14-2010, 07:11 AM
!!!!!!!!!! SHOCKING!

If Willie says it will help me to understand better the forces that moulded Bush and the convictions that drove him to make those decisions, how could I not want to read the book?

HUBBA! HUBBA!

LWW
11-14-2010, 07:21 AM
You will never read a book that the regime doesn't approve of.

You proved that after your most recent refusal.

LWW

wolfdancer
11-14-2010, 03:01 PM
I didn't know that GW has already been convicted...I must have slept through the trial or was watching Scooby Doo, instead of Georgie Did
Convictions?....that sounds like multiple charges?

LWW
06-19-2011, 02:48 PM
As I enter the last chapter, I have to agree with Clinton's assessment.

Soflasnapper
06-19-2011, 03:30 PM
This bonhommie between Clinton and both Bushes badly disserves the public interest. Once again showing Clinton as a closeted old-school Republican.

Or, one CIA asset complimenting another's son's memoir.

Well written BY WHOM? Was the ghost given credit?

And do you think this will be a blurb on the paperback edition?

Soflasnapper
06-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Christopher Michel was the ghost writer. From the UK's Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/us-politics/8119078/George-W-Bushs-memoirs-the-loyal-aide-who-ghost-wrote-Decision-Points.html)

As to why Clinton might like it:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Former president George W. Bush’s book “Decision Points” has recently been published. While not exactly an exciting page-turner, the book does provide some insight into the White House for much of the last decade. There are several interesting things that “Decision Points” says.

Firstly, it is fairly obvious that “Decision Points” has been ghostwritten – that is, that most of the words are that of a ghostwriter rather Mr. Bush himself. Indeed, the autobiography sometimes reads quite like former President Bill Clinton’s “My Life.” Again and again, Mr. Bush is “reduced to tears” or “amazed” by Event X or Person Y. Such things also happen with striking regularity to Mr. Clinton in “My Life” </div></div>

LWW
06-20-2011, 03:00 AM
What a tool you truly are.

Shall we discuss who wrote dear leader's second book?

Soflasnapper
06-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Knock yourself out.

I guess you'd say Ayers?

But I thought he supposedly wrote the FIRST book?

The point is to remind people that W shouldn't get credit for how well-written the book is, as appeared to be the proposition of this thread.

llotter
06-20-2011, 08:04 PM
GW, who is honest to his core, would, no doubt, give proper credit if it was ghost written, I'm sure. Does he thank those who helped him put it together?

LWW
06-21-2011, 03:48 AM
Extensively.

LWW
06-21-2011, 03:49 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Knock yourself out.

I guess you'd say Ayers? </div></div>

Actually ... Ayers said Ayers, among others who said Ayers.

Soflasnapper
06-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Ayers told a joke involving that claim, yes.

Jonah Goldberg at the NRO's 'Corner' reviewed Jack Cashill's claim in a column he titled Unconvinced. (http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/184032/unconvinced/jonah-goldberg)

The most epic takedown of Cashill's tendentious methodology I found is here. (http://acephalous.typepad.com/acephalous/2009/06/polygraphlevel-scholarship-may-suffice-for-harmless-speculation-about-the-authorship-of-midsummers-n.html)

An excerpt:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the case against Obama is a compelling one:

What Mr. Midwest noticed recently is that both Ayers in [A Kind and Just Parent] and Obama in [Dreams From My Father] make reference to the poet Carl Sandburg. In itself, this is not a grand revelation. Let us call it a C-level match. Obama and Ayers seem to have shared the same library in any case . . . Ayers and Obama, however, go beyond citing Sandburg. Each quotes the opening line of his poem "Chicago" . . . This I would call a B-level match. What raises it up a notch to an A-level match is the fact that both misquote "Chicago," and they do so in exactly the same way.

So both Ayers and Obama misquote the opening line of Carl Sandburg's "Chicago," substituting "hog butcher to the world" for "hog butcher for the world." This mutual error would be significant (an "A-level match") if Ayers and Obama were the only two people who ever made it, but according to Google Book Search—a secret search engine to which only I have access—the same mistake has been made by Nelson Algren, Alan Lomax, Andrei Codrescu, H.L. Mencken, Paul Krugman, Perry Miller, Donald Hall, Ed McBain, Saul Bellow, S.J. Perelman, Nathanaël West, Ezra Pound, Wright Morris, Allen Ginsberg, Langston Hughes, and the 1967 Illinois Commission on Automation and Technological Progress. (To name but a few.) According to Cashill, I have now proven that Dreams From My Father was written by many a dead man of American letters, a living mystery writer, a New York Times columnist and the 1967 Illinois Commission on Automation and Technological Progress. That bears repeating:

I have an "A-level match" that proves that Obama's autobiography was written by a "study of the economic and social effects of automation and other technological changes on industry, commerce, agriculture, education, manpower, and society in Illinois" when Obama was only six years old. If that somehow fails to convey to the dubious merits of Cashill's argument, perhaps this will:</div></div>

And it goes on from there.

Soflasnapper
06-21-2011, 05:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GW, who is honest to his core, would, no doubt, give proper credit if it was ghost written, I'm sure. Does he thank those who helped him put it together? </div></div>

Well, yes and no.

It's true, in a back section called 'Acknowledgements,' he spends about 3-1/2 pages thanking everybody involved.

Although he STARTS this section this way:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am fortunate to come from a family of bestselling authors. My mother and father wrote fine books, as did my sister Doro. Closer to home, Laura wrote a bestseller, Jenna wrote a bestseller, and they collaborated on another. Even my parents' dogs, C. Fred and Millie, authored their own works.

I was inspired by my family members' success[...]</div></div>

That sounds like he's taking credit for following the family success at authoring bestsellers.

What does he say about Chris Michel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When I considered writing this book I knew the task would be a challenge. I did not realize how enjoyable it would be. The main reason is that I worked with Chris Michel. At the end of the administration Chris was my chief speechwriter. He knew how I talked and saw much of the history we made. His broad range of talents, from research to editing, has made the book project move smoothly. His upbeat personality was a constant joy. I will miss him as he heads off to Yale Law School.</div></div>

That's the one place I see him mention Michel. To me, that isn't crediting Michel with ghost-writing it, although YMMV.

LWW
06-22-2011, 03:59 AM
You never cease to amaze me.

BTW ... are you contending that Obama actually wrote both of his books?