PDA

View Full Version : Shooters Results, Labor Day Weekend

09-03-2002, 01:54 AM
Surprise, surprise, Efren Reyes defeated the Russian kid in the finals.
1st Efren Reyes
2nd Russian Kid
3rd Kim Davenport
4th Jose Parica

Lots of action Jacksons. Santos vs. Davenport race to 28 Davenport took Santos apart. Parica vs. John Schmidt 9-7 one pocket, Schmidt ran right through Parica. Spanos beat Trevor Smith. Great tourney, lots of action to watch, and great hosts as well.

Upset in tourney, Aaron Aragon defeat Luat.

Sally
09-03-2002, 08:53 AM
FYI, the "Russian kid's" name is Evgeny Stalev. He's 23 years old and originally from Moscow. And he's a great player, very interesting to watch.

09-03-2002, 03:51 PM
I was surprised that more info wasnt out on this tournament. We hear so much of the East Coast stuff. But this was a great affair and the guys down at Shooters in Riverside must be congratulated. Like the previous post the Great Efren Reyes beat young Stalev in a masterful match. Both men tenuous and careful making some errors in the beginning. It was very tense as both players gave each other the utmost respect. But maturity and experience won the day as the match was tied up at 7 apiece. When the Russian kid hung the 8 ball in the pocket after what looked like a run out The Magician took the opportunity to shut down his naysayers by running the remaining racks to win. People been saying that Efrens too complacent after winning that $160,000 in Tokyo and $50,000 at the Challenge of Champions. First place was only for $3000 and the kid was hungry. Efren even didnt buy his half of the Calcutta. People been saying that Efren is too happy playing cards and chess in the backroom and some said that he had one too many beers with his compadres. THis was after he lost the first match to Stalev who was then in the hot seat. Efren then had to play Davenport who was all business after he put Jose Parica down in 7. Davenport, always a pro and a gentleman, really tried his best as third place only paid a paltry $900 and didnt meet the score that Kim had made the night before after beating down Santos in a Filipino backed challenge match. But you could see it in Kims eyes that he had met a master after Efren ran out the last rack to win the losers seat to meet Stalev. Man you could hear a pin drop. It was the seasoned veteran against the young gunslinger. This time the vet won. Next time might be different. Thanks SHooters!

Cueless Joey
09-03-2002, 07:48 PM
Great tournament. Kudos to the owner Bill and Shooters' manager supreme, Alex. Alex is a childhood friend of Efren. Efren is such a great human friend he stayed two weeks here so he could play this big regional tournament but not so big for a pro like Efren. Efren gave away most of the money he won to his friends and co-players. Efren also celebrated his 28th :-) birthday two Mondays ago at Shooters.
Shooters was definitely the place to be the last two weeks due to Efren's presence. Efren graciously accomodated everyone after he won the tourney. He signed countless shirts, hats, pics etc. And he posed for all photo souveneers. He leaves for the Philippines this week to attend the Asian Games. If his sponsor, Jose Puyat, wants to send him to the US Open, he said he'll go. Mr. Puyat pays for Efren's flying expenses.
The owner of Shooters, Mr. Bill, graceously lent his ranch home to Efren, Luat and company.
Efren's two matches with Russian Sensation Stalev was video taped by local videographer. I will buy the collectible videos. I will post it here where to avail one later this week or next week. Stalev is the next Magician. His billiard knowledge is almost on par with Efren.

Sally
09-04-2002, 10:01 AM
The match was tied at 6-6 when Efren started pulling ahead. It was never tied at 7-7. When Stalev reached 7, Reyes already had 9. But it was a great match; you're right about that.

AzHousePro
09-04-2002, 10:19 AM
I got a chance to watch Stalev at the Open last year. He is very interesting to watch. Walked around like he was practicing the entire match and he was playing Earl. Rarely saw any emotion on his face either.

Mike

Sally
09-04-2002, 10:23 AM
I read about that match. Apparently it looked like Stalev could've beaten Earl, too, from what I understand. He's a great player, and it seems like nothing fazes him.

Kato
09-04-2002, 11:28 AM
Stalev will be one guy I'll be following at the Open. Can't wait to watch him play.

Kato~~~getting his wish list together.

SPetty
09-04-2002, 01:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: AzHousePro:</font><hr> Walked around like he was practicing the entire match and he was playing Earl. <hr></blockquote>Hi Mike,

Just to make sure I understand what you're saying - did this mean that he didn't show any signs of pressure? Just shot as well as all of us do when we're alone and no one's watching?

SPetty~~~Man, you should see me when no one's looking!

Cueless Joey
09-04-2002, 01:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: AzHousePro:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Walked around like he was practicing the entire match and he was playing Earl. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;Hi Mike,

Just to make sure I understand what you're saying - did this mean that he didn't show any signs of pressure? Just shot as well as all of us do when we're alone and no one's watching?

SPetty~~~Man, you should see me when no one's looking! <hr></blockquote>
SP, I already called him the Iceman.lol
Stalev ( his adopted first name now is Eugene) doesn't show much emotion. He kicks and plays safe better than Earl or Archer. I read he already beat Archer for some jelly beans.
I doubt that he is really 23 yrs old. But, he's definitely a player to watch. He has a scary stroke. Short few pumps than a long payoff pause stroke like Allison but loooonger backstroke and whap! I saw him play Parica for 50 bucks a hole on the snooker table. He was drilling the ball in.
He also has the ugliest cue there is. I think it's Schuller with a 12 mm tip with a long ugly jazz slip on wrap. He has a mighty break too.
Definitely a future world champion.

AzHousePro
09-04-2002, 01:37 PM
Nothing at all. He could get hooked after a great shot trying for 4 rail shape and have the same expression as if he had just snapped the 9 in.

And all of Earl's talking seemed to phase him none.

Anyone going to the Open this year should really try to check him out. He plays great. It is just a matter of time before he snaps off a major title.

Mike

09-04-2002, 02:00 PM
SP,

Stalev looks casual, almost bored, when he shoots. He appears unruffled and calm regaldless of the importance of the game. I have never seen him change expression, win or lose.

Regards,

Doug

Sally
09-04-2002, 02:22 PM
I read somewhere that his nickname is "The Assassin." Fitting, I suppose.

Why do you doubt he's 23 years old? Everything I've read about him online correlates with that.

09-04-2002, 03:01 PM
Stalev happened to be standing next to me at the food counter after one of his matches. I asked him what kind of cue he was using since it looked like a real strange one. With a twinkle in his eye he said its a SUCKS. Then he proceeded to tell me it was made in China. Hey doesnt he know Russia is on the continent of Asia too. LOL. Actually he is a pretty nice guy just that his English skills are limited at this time. Remember the young Efren. Quiet, respectful, but deadly.

Jay M
09-04-2002, 03:08 PM
I warmed up with Stalev and David Howard the night of the players' meeting last year. He is VERY good. I fully expect him to be in the running at every event he plays.

Jay M

Rich R.
09-05-2002, 04:45 AM
Mike, I have also seen Stalev play and your discription is right on the button. Too look at his face, while playing, you would think he is just taking a casual walk down the street. If I were his opponent, that would scare the hell out of me. LOL.
Rich R.