PDA

View Full Version : Only in California!

Deeman3
11-15-2010, 04:02 PM
<span style="color: #FF0000"> I don't really think, although I may be wrong, that any other place would consider displaying the American Flag as dangerous or a Safety Concern. </span>

DENAIR, Calif. KSBW.com

A 13-year-old Stanislaus County boy at the center of a flag controversy got a big show of support Monday as many people rallied to his side.

Cody Alicea was earlier told by Denair Middle School officials that he could not ride to school with a U.S. flag on his bike. The story has gained national attention, from Rush Limbaugh to the Drudge Report.

The school changed its mind, and now Alicea can display the stars and stripes.

When he rode from his home to school on Monday, he was followed by a parade of people on motorcycles. A military jet flyover was also expected.

"I'd just like to say thanks for the support," Alicea said before his ride.

Officials at the school told Alicea not to display the flag, citing safety concerns. Some students had complained about the display.

Denair Unified School District Superintendent Edward Parraz said the campus recently experienced some racial tension. He said some students got out of hand on Cinco de Mayo. He said some students displayed the Mexican flag, while others displayed American flags.

Parraz said he got calls from halfway around the world about the flag controversy. Some soldiers in Afghanistan called to complain.

Alicea said he was surprised at the attention.

"This is big," Alicea said. "I didn't think it'd get this big."

Gayle in MD
11-15-2010, 05:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Officials at the school told Alicea not to display the flag, citing safety concerns. Some students had complained about the display.

Denair Unified School District Superintendent Edward Parraz said the campus recently experienced some racial tension. He said some students got out of hand on Cinco de Mayo. He said some students displayed the Mexican flag, while others displayed American flags.

</div></div>

Under the conditions prevailing, the Principle seems sensible to me.

If there were racial issues brewing, it makes sense, no flags, at all, at least for a while.

If there had been trouble, people would be blaming the principle, for NOT banning the display of any kinds of flags, after trouble had been brewing.

G.

LWW
11-15-2010, 06:48 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Under the conditions prevailing, the <s>Principle</s> principal seems sensible to me.

If there were racial issues brewing, it makes sense, no flags, at all, at least for a while.

If there had been trouble, people would be blaming the <s>principle</s> principal, for NOT banning the display of any kinds of flags, after trouble had been brewing.

G. </div></div>

Did you study spelling in Dan Quayle's class?

LWW

Deeman3
11-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Gayle,

Not that I disagree with your concern about safety but I find it sad that you would have to feel concern in displaying you own country's flag.

I just wonder if a Mexican kid would have received the same sanction if he had shown up with a Mexican flag, even though they are not equivalent?

Gayle in MD
11-16-2010, 03:32 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gayle,

Not that I disagree with your concern about safety but I find it sad that you would have to feel concern in displaying you own country's flag.

I just wonder if a Mexican kid would have received the same sanction if he had shown up with a Mexican flag, even though they are not equivalent?

</div></div>

I think it's sad, too. but if I had been the principle, my first concern, would have been tamping down what could end up a bad situation.

I also think comparing what we would do if it had been a Mexican Kid, VS. an American kid, is the wrong approach.

We should either learn how to be proud of being a country of immigrants, or tear down the Statue Of Liberty.

Right now all of the flack it at hispanics, because they are the major influx of immigrants.

We should try to remember, not all of them are in gangs, not all of them are illegal and if we wish to live up to our historical pride, in being a nation of immigrants, and live by the words on the Statue Of Liberty, we need to strive to keep our heads, when these things come up, and work for inclusion, instead of coming from a big collective "humph," if you know what I mean.

IMO, the principle did the right thing, for the safety of his school. It's being painted a different way from a narrow POV, IMO.

G.

pooltchr
11-16-2010, 07:18 AM
Every American should have the right to fly the American flag.
End of story.
Why would you ever think it's ok to tell someone they can't display the flag that so many people have died to protect?
American pride is also about being willing to defend the rights we have that are represented by that flag.

If my flag offends you, even as you are in my country, I say Tough $hi*. If this country is good enough for you to live in, get used to seeing our flag. If not, take your a$$ back to your own country!

Steve

LWW
11-16-2010, 07:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you ever think it's ok to tell someone they can't display the flag that so many people have died to protect?

Steve </div></div>

Do you honestly not know the answer to that question?

LWW