PDA

View Full Version : Pool is Soooo Deceptive

jjinfla
11-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Pool is an insidious, chronic disease that creeps into the body and attaches itself to the brain where it convinces the host that he is a great player and can beat anyone if it wasn't for bad breaks and luck. It doesn't matter if you are an SL2 or a AA player. You think you are better than you really are.

Once implanted in the brain there is no cure.

A top player once told me that the message boards are full of sl2's and 3's who are constantly giving advice on how to play when they have no clue. They just do not know what is on the other side of the door. (More doors! Oh, so many doors)

Amazing how the better a person gets at pool the more he realizes his shortcomings. Nick Varner the other day on the webcast from Georgia said he has been playing 1P for 27 years and he is still learning.

Look how long it takes beginners to realize that a billiard ball is round.

I haven't played or followed pool much in the past 3 years (about the time AZB banned me for repeating a remark JAM made about Keith). But now I am getting the bug again. I can't handle the smoke filled rooms so I have to confine myself to the community where I live. A small pond with not too many good fish. They are so bad that they think I can beat the pros. Dumb Dumb Dumb. I can't even run racks. It shows what little they know. Ha Ha. But the important thing is that I really like the way that I play and for the most part I know what I do wrong when I miss. At least I think I do. So why do I keep doing the same thing over and over?

It doesn't look like much has changed in the past 3 years.

Old Jake

eg8r
11-16-2010, 09:21 AM
I agree completely which was one of the reasons I stopped following this side of the board. You should have seen the posts about aiming over here. I don't bother with AZB but I guess it is just as bad.

After my recent 9 ball "success" I decided I might try playing again after taking off a few years. I stepped into the pool hall and immediately started rubbing my eyes. I hate the smoke. I wish there were pool halls that were smoke free around here, maybe I would visit a little more often.

eg8r <~~~played for 3 hours and never lost a game but my "sparring partner" couldn't pocket two in a row to save his life /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

jjinfla
11-16-2010, 10:36 AM
There is a nice pool hall in St. Augustine that is smoke free. At least it was the last time I was there about 3 years ago. Dave Grossman was playing there. Just too far for me to drive.

With the price of cigs $45 a carton no wonder pool players are always broke.

I met Allison when Trudeau ran the IPT in Orlando. Got a picture of her, Mitch and Gerda. That sure was a great event. She still is the best ambassador for pool there is. Too bad the men never could learn how to treat the fans. Perhaps if they did then they could have been somebody. Ha Ha.

Actually, I met and watched a lot of the pros since moving to Florida in 1998 and for the most part they were all pretty cordial. Except for Charlie Williams (ha ha) who thought that signing cue balls should not be allowed by the pros at his tournament in Orlando. What a POS he is. I have 31 signed cue balls, my rack only holds 30, so I quit collecting them. I actually paid for three of them, Jeanette Lee, Johnny Archer and Ray Martin. I gave Ray $30 for his signature. Guess which one faded. It's only money.

11-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Wow! Back from the dead....where ya been, Jake?

Eric >wonders if CCB is gonna have a pulse again

jjinfla
11-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Hi Eric, Time just flies, whether you're having fun or not. I got into real estate and been doing that for the past few years. Bought a new home in Ocala (Summerglen) where they have two 4x8 tables with 5" pockets and no players.

11-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Cool. Lot's of good things happening for you? "Free" pool tables and no one to play is not a bad thing...you can use em like they were your persoanl table.

So, now that you rediscovered an "old toy", maybe you can start posting more and bring the active poster count to 8 or 9, lol.

Eric >gawd help us if we get to 10

Rich R.
11-16-2010, 04:48 PM
You guys just have to move to one of the non-smoking states. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Here, in Md., there is no smoking allowed in pool rooms. Even the smokers like it better. I think it is the same in NY. and Va. also has some smoking restrictions. Unfortunately, from what I have heard from a friend, Fla. isn't going non-smoking anytime soon.

It's a damn shame. You move to paradise and people are clouding the view with smoke.

eg8r
11-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Well, we have non-smoking rules but all that did was drive food sales right out the front door. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a damn shame. You move to paradise and people are clouding the view with smoke. </div></div>While I would never support the government forcing anymore legislation on our business owners I do agree it would be nice to play pool and not have to worry about the smoke.

eg8r

Rich R.
11-17-2010, 07:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, we have non-smoking rules but all that did was drive food sales right out the front door. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a damn shame. You move to paradise and people are clouding the view with smoke. </div></div>While I would never support the government forcing anymore legislation on our business owners I do agree it would be nice to play pool and not have to worry about the smoke.

eg8r </div></div>
Ed, I don't want to get into a political debate on this side of the board but, you should consider non-smoking laws as the government protecting your health. The non-smoking laws are working fine here in Md. and, as I said earlier, even the smokers like it in the pool room better now. They just go outside when they want to smoke. I can't tell you how nice it is to go to pool rooms and not deal with the smoke.

Most of the crap about non-smoking laws putting pool rooms out of business was just that, a lot of crap. The fact is, poorly managed rooms were going out of business anyway. Well managed rooms stay open. The room where I play regularly is not only non-smoking, they don't serve alcohol and they have a minimum of food. It has been this way for a few years now, since they opened. They struggle, but they are staying in business where others have failed.

Fran Crimi
11-17-2010, 03:37 PM
[<span style="color: #3333FF">quote=Rich REd, I don't want to get into a political debate on this side of the board but, you should consider non-smoking laws as the government protecting your health. The non-smoking laws are working fine here in Md. and, as I said earlier, even the smokers like it in the pool room better now. They just go outside when they want to smoke. I can't tell you how nice it is to go to pool rooms and not deal with the smoke.

Most of the crap about non-smoking laws putting pool rooms out of business was just that, a lot of crap. The fact is, poorly managed rooms were going out of business anyway. Well managed rooms stay open. The room where I play regularly is not only non-smoking, they don't serve alcohol and they have a minimum of food. It has been this way for a few years now, since they opened. They struggle, but they are staying in business where others have failed. [/quote Rich]</span>

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the whole non-smoking-in-poolrooms-thing isn't about the government looking out for our (the consumer's) health. It's about employees having the right to be able to work hours each day in a smoke-free environment.

I agree with Rich about poor management being more responsible for the downfall of a poolroom rather than non-smoking laws. At first I wasn't so sure about that, but over time I've realized that many poolrooms years ago just opened their doors and did nothing more to promote their place --- and got away with it for a long time. But times have changed and owners now have to stay sharp and keep reinventing their business to keep interest alive if they want to stay in business.

Fran

Jeanny Lesterin
11-17-2010, 08:46 PM
its a great.!

Rich R.
11-17-2010, 09:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[<span style="color: #3333FF">quote=Rich REd, I don't want to get into a political debate on this side of the board but, you should consider non-smoking laws as the government protecting your health. The non-smoking laws are working fine here in Md. and, as I said earlier, even the smokers like it in the pool room better now. They just go outside when they want to smoke. I can't tell you how nice it is to go to pool rooms and not deal with the smoke.

Most of the crap about non-smoking laws putting pool rooms out of business was just that, a lot of crap. The fact is, poorly managed rooms were going out of business anyway. Well managed rooms stay open. The room where I play regularly is not only non-smoking, they don't serve alcohol and they have a minimum of food. It has been this way for a few years now, since they opened. They struggle, but they are staying in business where others have failed. [/quote Rich]</span>

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the whole non-smoking-in-poolrooms-thing isn't about the government looking out for our (the consumer's) health. It's about employees having the right to be able to work hours each day in a smoke-free environment.

I agree with Rich about poor management being more responsible for the downfall of a poolroom rather than non-smoking laws. At first I wasn't so sure about that, but over time I've realized that many poolrooms years ago just opened their doors and did nothing more to promote their place --- and got away with it for a long time. But times have changed and owners now have to stay sharp and keep reinventing their business to keep interest alive if they want to stay in business.

Fran </div></div>
Fran, I think the basic legal argument for creating the smoking laws was about the employees but, in reality, it was the public's shift from a majority of smokers to a majority of non-smokers that got it passed in our states. The politicians couldn't care less about a handful of employees working in a smoke filled environment. However, the public figured out that this law would benefit everyone, incuding the employees that it was meant for. As you know, politicians never do anything if the majority of voters don't want it and this was no exception. The majority of voters supported the non-smoking laws and pushed the politicians to pass them. In the end, the employees and the consumers have a better environment in a lot of places.

In this country, majority rules and, for now, the majority has shifted to the non-smoking side. If it ever shifts back to the smoking side, I'm sure these laws will be repealed.

robert
11-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Well said. I am playing pool since last 2 years and now its like an addiction for me. The day I don't play it, I feel myself like I am missing a very important part of my daily routine and you won't believe I could not sleep properly if I did not played pool for at least 2 hours daily (its true). I am with you in your addiction jjinfla. Cheers!!

jjinfla
12-10-2010, 08:18 PM
A while back smoking in restaurants was banned and it sure doesn't appear that it hurt that business in spite of the great outcry prior to the ban.

Does a pack of cigs really cost $10 in New York?

eg8r
12-12-2010, 12:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A while back smoking in restaurants was banned and it sure doesn't appear that it hurt that business in spite of the great outcry prior to the ban.

</div></div>I never understood the arugment about it hurting business. If all restaurants are smoke free where else would they think the smokers would go eat? My issue has always been with the goverment overstepping the bounds of the Constitution.

eg8r &lt;~~~won't say any more about it since the debate is too old and once the snowball starts it is hard to stop the avalanche

bradb
12-17-2010, 01:13 PM
I used to believe (back when I had only been playing for 15 years) that I knew everything about this game, now I'm embarrassed to think about those earlier times and how little I knew and still don't. This game is far beyond just the actual play, its almost a philosophy and I now wish I had absorbed some of the things the old timers would occasionally express which at the time I tossed off as nonsense.

Now when I hear some kid make a stupid statement I've learned to ignore it...whats the use.

True... everyone thinks they are about 20 to 30% better than they really are because everyone has had a great session at one time or another where they looked unbeatable for a couple of racks. So we log that in as how we actually can play instead of realizing that we were playing at our absolute peak, not our normal capability. "Hard to live with that."

Lately the game is becoming less fun for me, after all these years I'm finding it difficult to keep up my interest because i can no longer focus like I used to even though in many ways I'm now a better player. Tournament play gets me down, I would rather just play one-on-one with my old buddys where if I miss a shot now and then its no big deal. I used to thrive on the pressure, now its a drag.

Here in Canada there is no smoking in any public buildings, in fact in Vancouver they are looking to pass an ordinance making it illegal even on the street!... I don't smoke but thats a little extreme.

Theres a local community center here that has a snooker table, occasionally I go down and play some of the duffers there, they think I'm an ex pro. I can live with that, I know where I'm at, but its a high... what the hell, live the dream. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Brad

Sid_Vicious
12-19-2010, 11:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jjinfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A while back smoking in restaurants was banned and it sure doesn't appear that it hurt that business in spite of the great outcry prior to the ban.

Does a pack of cigs really cost $10 in New York?</div></div>

Well I see a big difference in the customer population at non-restricted smoking PHs here around Dallas, compared to restricted pool places. Players can drive 10 minutes most of the time and get to a place and play pool while they smoke a cig.

Smoking in a restaurant and smoking at the pool table ain't hardly the same thing at all IMO. I simply don't understand why an owner can't just elect to have a smoking establishment, post a sign saying so, and let joe-public decide if they want to open the door and come in. Sounds simple enough to me. sid

JasonWDTX
01-22-2011, 08:16 AM
In tulsa we have one smoke and alcohol free pool hall and one with an enclosed smoking room. The room is glass walled so smokers can still see through but the playing area stays smoke free.