PDA

View Full Version : Peter Lik

eg8r
11-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Have you ever heard of this guy? Not until my recent trip did I hear about him or ever see any of his work but it is amazing. At the Pawn Stars shop they have one picture that they are selling for $18,000. Then I learned there are a few galleries in Vegas so I could see the rest of his work. Absolutely stunning.

He takes the pictures with a panoramic camera and then prints the images onto some special paper that has crystals and silver embedded. The silver and crystals make the colors absolutely pop out at you when the correct light hits them. It is amazing.

This picture in particular... http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/7956/dreamland606oliverh9.jpg is pretty stunning by itself. When light is directed at the picture you see the thunderstorm. Your eyes are glued to the clouds, but as the light starts moving away from the picture you start to see the amazing greens in the tree. Very incredible.

This was one of my favorites when I was in the gallery. http://perfectdot.info/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/peter-lik-Stone-Temple-raises.jpg Based on what I saw in the gallery, this picture (picture of a picture) was taken with the lights real low. When I saw it, the light was directly shooting at the image and you could see the sun's reflection on the inside of the rock almost glowing. As light gets turned down is when you really start to pay attention to the rest of the picture.

Here is the link to his website with all his pictures... http://www.peterlik.com/ The images look great on the website but they do not replace what you see in real life. They are stunning. Next time you are in Vegas you should stop by The Venetian and check out his gallery.

eg8r

Deeman3
11-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Fantastic images. I was, in a past life, half owner of a photography business, we did mostly commercial and weddings.

This is great. Thanks for sharing as I will visit on my next trip to Vegas if I can get up the courage to fly commercial again. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

All this and beat up on a girl? What a vacation? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

sack316
11-16-2010, 04:59 PM
I seem to recall seeing some of his work my first or second time in Vegas and being amazed. Saw the price tag, and knew I'd never own one /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif but still enjoyed looking in whatever gallery that was in!

Sack

wolfdancer
11-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Those were pretty good...I forwarded them to a commercial photographer that I know....to get his opinion.....and,
that reminds me of a tour I once took at the Art Museum. Apparently
one needs a docent to explain to you, why you like, or why you should like a painting.

eg8r
11-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Yeah, his work starts out at $5k for a pretty small piece. I would love to one day have enough money to buy one and then have the choice whether or to own it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
11-16-2010, 07:33 PM
LOL, yeah it was quite a vacation. If I could have only made it to the pawn shop earlier I would have had a chance to give the "old man" a hard time. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r`

eg8r
11-16-2010, 07:36 PM
LOL, your vocabulary is quite extensive. I had an idea what "docent" was from the context in your post but still wanted to look it up to make sure I was correct. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I am interested in hearing what your photographer has to say. Nearly everyone that I have shown that website to have loved the pictures. It only takes a second after hearing the price to get everyone to look away. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Qtec
11-17-2010, 01:59 AM
Great photos but...... $18,000?

Q

eg8r
11-17-2010, 08:49 AM
Yeah it is crazy pricey. For that photo, I cannot remember the size something like 5' wide by 2' tall. The paper the image is printed on costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 a square inch, so the paper is expensive but the price is pretty wild.

eg8r