PDA

View Full Version : Bush book a hit! Saddens many on left...

Deeman3
11-17-2010, 09:04 AM
NEW YORK The Decider has written a blockbuster.

..Random House Inc. says former President George W. Bush's "Decision Points" sold 775,000 copies through its first week of publication. Random House made the announcement Tuesday.

In the book, the two-term president discusses the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, his decisions to send troops to Afghanistan and Iraq and the response to Hurricane Katrina.

An initial print run of 1.5 million copies has been increased to 1.85 million. E-book sales alone are 100,000.

Random House said last week that opening-day sales of "Decision Points" were its highest since former President Bill Clinton's "My Life" debuted in 2004.

pooltchr
11-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Initial reviews seem to be positive. What was your reaction?

Steve

Deeman3
11-17-2010, 12:28 PM
I'll get accused hating one social group or another but here goes.

A good reds for those really wanting to know the why of his decisions and turmoil he had despite the outward appearance of confidence or even arrogance. A Man loves his country and is remarkably warm toward his detractors, no grudges, a few regrets but not on major decisions.

He really does, right or wrong, love his country more than his legacy, rare for Presidents. Perhaps overly loyal at times but feels he made the right decisions at crtitical times. More like Reagan than his father, but not as skilled in campaigning and much more comfortable in the day-to-day job or decision maker. Would have much preferred a "normal" sans 9/11 Presidency but felt he did the best he could every day to protect the country. Not a petty man, that was what made it such a good read.

If you just hate the man, as many do, don't bother to read it as will not convince the unconvincable. If you sit on the fence, it will change some ofnyour opinions. If you are a devout fan, I'm sure it will be enjoyed. As an occasional fence sitter, the most enjoyable thing was to not see him become a vindictive Carter like character but only a man presenting his case without malice.

wolfdancer
11-17-2010, 03:35 PM
I'll reserve any personal comment on the GWB book, as I have no intention of ever reading it. I look forward though to reading the opinions of others, not the lay public, but people that were involved.
Jimmy Carter?....who in my opinion was treated the most unfairly of any President in my lifetime....I can understand his anger.
Billy Carter would have made a better POTUS then GWB (had to toss that into the pot)

LWW
11-17-2010, 05:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
He really does, right or wrong, love his country more than his legacy, rare for Presidents. </div></div>

That is the trait I admire most about him.

LWW

hondo
11-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Bush book a hit! Saddens many on left.

Oh, boo hoo. My day is ruined.
I wouldn't mind reading it myself, but I wouldn't buy it.

hondo
11-17-2010, 06:35 PM
I wonder if he mentions in the book that he was never in charge.
The Tri-Lateral Commission told Cheney what to do and Cheney told Bush what to say.

Loved his country more than his legacy?

As lww would say, " Now, that's precious!"

Deeman3
11-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Hondo,

I never said that this is or would be your take on the book. I just gave my honest opinion of what I read and my interpretation of it. I didn't really expect anyone to actually read it before forming an opinion when you can have MSNBC do it for you. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I actually read President Clinton's book and was surprised at how good it was.

I have not read Obama's book yet as, unlike the Nobel Committee, as I was waiting until he is finished before passing final judgement. I have not even called him ugly names yet. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Deeman3
11-17-2010, 09:51 PM
LWW,

I still can't figure out how he was such a dumb rube but smart enough to out maneuver all those intellectuals every single time. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Retarded and the most devious man in history and all under the complete control of a nefarious international group of Dr. Strangeloves and still able ton reach out from Dallas to hoodwink a poor, defenseless President and the largest congressional majority in history.

That, in itself, is worth the price of the book, if you can get a copy away from the masses who hate him so much they are selling out everywhere.

As I said, I have been respectful of Obama, much more than some of you, but Obama is making a lot of folks miss both Bush and Clinton. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

wolfdancer
11-18-2010, 12:38 AM
Why would anyone object to GW...finally earning an honest buck?
I would suspect that anybody writing an autobiography, would tend to portray themselves very favorably, and gloss over some of the not so good....
But GW, to his credit, gives an honest self evaluation in an interview..There's a minute or two of Sarah, and then it's GW's turn:
*** (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8JE3VlyZQQhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aVbJhg23Ao)

Qtec
11-18-2010, 03:38 AM
He should have called it, "Bush in Wonderland.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still lapdogs: Media figures host<u> Bush's rehabilitation tour</u>
November 15, 2010 1:44 pm ET 266 Comments

Numerous media figures have interviewed former President George W. Bush following the November 9 release of his book, Decision Points. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>Bush and his interviewers used these interviews as an opportunity to <u>rewrite his presidency by promoting false claims and misinformation about Bush's tenure.</u> </span></div></div>

'Don't blame me'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> RUSH: Now, look, one thing about the predecessor and so forth. You were president of the United States. You were the leader of the country. You were elected twice by the people of this country on substantive issues. Now we find ourselves in a really challenging economic time, and it is being said that you "drove the economy in the ditch." You were behind the wheel in the car. Now, Mr. President, the people... We can't relate to being president. We can only try to understand it, and when we do -- <span style='font-size: 17pt'>when we hear ourselves being blamed for things that we have nothing to do with</span> -- our tendency would be to respond to it, to try to correct the record. But in your book, you steer clear.

PRESIDENT BUSH: Well, on this issue, I don't steer clear because I remind the reader that on the issue of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, <span style='font-size: 14pt'>I saw a problem, and went to Congress and said, "Look, this is a group of... These are enterprises that have got an implicit government guarantee and they're taking risky stances, and, therefore, <u>we ought to regulate them.</u></span> If they've got an implicit government guarantee there ought to be some sense of regulation and make sure they don't misuse that guarantee, and I make it clear in the book what happened, <span style='font-size: 20pt'>and that is that powerful forces in Congress resisted that reform.</span> Whether those reforms had taken place in 2003 it's hard to predict whether or not this crisis would have occurred, but I'm comfortable in telling the reader and comfortable that history will judge that <u>we tried to do something about it.</u> You know, and eventually the truth wins out, and this book is an attempt to set the record straight <u>from my perspective</u>.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #990000">Whether those reforms had taken place in 2003</span> </div></div>

Fact. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>Republicans controlled both chambers of Congress during the 108th Congress, which was in session from 2003-04.</span>

.......but its all the Dems fault.

link (http://mediamatters.org/research/201011150023#5)

Q

LWW
11-18-2010, 04:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hondo,

I never said that this is or would be your take on the book. </div></div>

Aitch has an uncontrollable desire to troll anything pro Bush or anti dear leader ... he simply cannot help himself.

LWW

LWW
11-18-2010, 04:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Fact. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>Republicans controlled both chambers of Congress during the 108th Congress, which was in session from 2003-04.</span>

.......but its all the Dems fault.

link (http://mediamatters.org/research/201011150023#5)

Q

</div></div>

FACT: They didn't control the banking committee's so Bawney Fwank was able to bottle things up and keep his boy-toy rolling in bonus money.

Now ... if your point is that they had the power to remove the Marxists from all committee leadership positions but lacked the political will to do so, I concur.

Their was a lesson to be learned from their last attempts at bipartisanship with the Marxists.

I'm hoping they actually learned it.

LWW

hondo
11-18-2010, 07:22 AM
"That, in itself, is worth the price of the book, if you can get a copy away from the masses who hate him so much they are selling out everywhere.'

Helter Skelter was a huge seller also and probably would have sold even more if Charley Manson had supposedly written it himself.

Do you think the masses loved Charles Manson?

Deeman3
11-18-2010, 07:52 AM
I didn't think Helter Skelter was that big a seller but why would a book of large sales for Clinton always show his popularity and one by Bush his unpopularity?

I don't think you made a point other than partisanship.

hondo
11-18-2010, 09:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but why would a book of large sales for Clinton always show his popularity and one by Bush his unpopularity?

</div></div>

I don't recall ever saying that, but I am getting old.
If you can find that post, show me. I have CRS bad.

Helter Skelter was a huge success. Later made into a movie.
I sure Bush's book will become a movie also.
Hopefully, his ghost writer will get some credit.

Gayle in MD
11-18-2010, 09:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but why would a book of large sales for Clinton always show his popularity and one by Bush his unpopularity?

</div></div>

I don't recall ever saying that, but I am getting old.
If you can find that post, show me. I have CRS bad.

Helter Skelter was a huge success. Later made into a movie.
I sure Bush's book will become a movie also.
Hopefully, his ghost writer will get some credit. </div></div>

The "Book" is a joke! The "sales" were probably the same folks who tune into Rush, and rave over Ann Coulter's fairy tales, complete with imaginary villians.

The media, left and right, have been laughing about Bush's book, since he emerged from his cocoon, just more lies and twising of facts, just as Rove's book was.

The only thing that "Saddens many on the left" is that the Republican Party, talked him into waiting until after the election, to present his book of irrational decision points, and self glorifying myths.

If one has studied facial launguage, it's so obvious, when he lies. Always has been. Watch the moments when he cuts his eyes to the side....and grimaces... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

He's a joke! Palin, is as well. The only thing funnier than they are, are the dufuses who praise them... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

G.

Deeman3
11-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Well, I have never been called a "Dufus" but each to his/her own. I am glad we don't pick reading material for each other. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

hondo
11-18-2010, 09:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I have never been called a "Dufus" but each to his/her own. I am glad we don't pick reading material for each other. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

LOL! I've been called worse on here, Dee.

Deeman3
11-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Yes, but you were a school teacher and are used to abusive names, mistreatment and the occasional sexual dalliance, right? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Gayle in MD
11-18-2010, 11:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I have never been called a "Dufus" but each to his/her own. I am glad we don't pick reading material for each other. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

You've called me far worse.

hondo
11-18-2010, 11:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, but you were a school teacher and are used to the occasional sexual dalliance, right? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

???????

pooltchr
11-18-2010, 12:34 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The "Book" is a joke!

G. </div></div>

Do you base this on firsthand knowledge, having read the book, or is it just your partisan bias leading you to decide beforehand that anything a Republican does must be bad?

I suspect your mind was made up before the first page ever even hit the press.

Steve

wolfdancer
11-18-2010, 01:12 PM
I've decided to buy the book...if it comes with free crayons...

Deeman3
11-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Hondo,
I was joking! I was not offended by her label, but was NOT accusing you of having sex in school! I promise...

hondo
11-18-2010, 01:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The "Book" is a joke!

G. </div></div>

Do you base this on firsthand knowledge, having read the book, or is it just your partisan bias leading you to decide beforehand that anything a Republican does must be bad?

Steve </div></div>

Not me. I wouldn't mind reading it.
I felt that both Bush and now Obama did not do nearly enough to defend their actions.
I'd like to read what he has to say.

hondo
11-18-2010, 01:18 PM
No problem. I didn't think you would ever imply anything like that, but thanks for responding, Dee.

Deeman3
11-18-2010, 01:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've decided to buy the book...if it comes with free crayons... </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I didn't say it didn't have spots to color in. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

it was Tolstoy, but it was not "It takes a village of Idiots" either! I know you thought Cheney wrote it for him! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

hondo
11-18-2010, 01:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've decided to buy the book...if it comes with free crayons... </div></div>

LOL! Cheapskate! Buy your own. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Deeman3
11-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Cheapskate? I know he has more golf rain checks than I do grey hairs!

Hey, I'll still pick up a penny and risk a pulled back so I can't begrudge him.

wolfdancer
11-18-2010, 01:50 PM
That's funny, but I remember a story about an athlete that had to go on the disabled list, after he pulled a muscle, or got some other injury, by lifting up his baby from the crib. That 20 lb baby with his arms fully extended and his body in an awkward bent position....might have been the equivalent of dead lifting a couple hundred lbs.

LWW
11-18-2010, 03:32 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The "Book" is a joke!

G. </div></div>

Steve </div></div>

Not me. I wouldn't mind reading it. </div></div>

Why did you refuse to read "A CONSERVATIVE MANIFESTO" THEN?

LWW

Gayle in MD
11-18-2010, 04:56 PM

I've already seen him restate the same lies he has been telling for the last twelve years in the interviews. I've read enough books about Bush. I already know, nothing he says is true.

He's a total joke. Two and a half years, on vacation, while he was president.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

G.

Gayle in MD
11-18-2010, 05:18 PM

Just do this quick review....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE2SdF1fN4s

pooltchr
11-18-2010, 07:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've decided to buy the book...if it comes with free crayons... </div></div>

Just do this quick review....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE2SdF1fN4s </div></div>

We have finally been given the ultimate insight into how Gayle does her research! Thank God for youtube!!!!

Is that how you plan to learn what is in the book??

Is that how you get your daily spoon feedings now?

Your psudointellictual facade is crumbling by the minute!

Steve

LWW
11-19-2010, 03:57 AM
It crumbled long ago.

The ability to read words and the ability to spell words are forever entwined.

Those who cannot do one are severely limited in doing the other.

LWW