PDA

View Full Version : Table recovering questions

Rich R.
09-03-2002, 10:31 AM
I know this subject has been discussed in the past and I am sorry I did not take notes.
I am planning on having my home table recovered for the first time. It is a little more than 9 years old, but 95% of its use is by me alone. I can use some help.
The table is a medium priced Brunswick, 8' table with 1" slate.

My choice of cloth would be Simonis 860, but since I must be aware of the "wife acceptance factor", color may become an issue. Traditional green is not an option. /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif What other types of cloth play as close as possible to the 860?

When recovering the table, should the rubber cushions be replaced automatically or is there some way to tell if replacement is needed? They seem alright, but is there a way to test them?

I would like to have the pockets tightened. The corner pockets are very close to 5" now. What is the best and cost effective way to tighten them?

I am not planning on doing this job myself, but would like to know what I am talking about when I talk to a mechanic.
Also, if any one has the name of a good table mechanic in the Baltimore/Washington D.C. area, please let me know. At this point, I will probably go to the dealer where I purchased the table.
Any help is appreciated.
Rich R.

stickman
09-03-2002, 11:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R:</font><hr>My choice of cloth would be Simonis 860, but since I must be aware of the "wife acceptance factor", color may become an issue. Traditional green is not an option. /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif What other types of cloth play as close as possible to the 860?

Rich R. <hr></blockquote>

Rich, I can't help with the other questions, but there are several colors other than the traditional green of Simonis 860 to chose from. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tgrimaldibilliards.com/colors.html>http://www.tgrimaldibilliards.com/colors.html</a>

Rich R.
09-03-2002, 11:25 AM
Thanks Stickman. I didn't mean to imply that I was not aware of the other colors available from Simonis. I have seen them on several internet sites, however, some times colors are not accurate on the computer and I am just trying to be prepared with alternate choices, if the Simonis colors fail the "wife acceptance test" when they are seen in person. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Rich R.~~~not a boyscout, but likes to be prepared.

09-03-2002, 11:28 AM

stickman
09-03-2002, 11:34 AM
I hope that you find one that pleases her, as I don't know of anything else that I would want to recover my table with. Of course, I understand how presuasive the woman of the house can be. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Fred Agnir
09-03-2002, 11:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr> My choice of cloth would be Simonis 860, but since I must be aware of the "wife acceptance factor", color may become an issue. Traditional green is not an option. /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif What other types of cloth play as close as possible to the 860?<hr></blockquote>
Although I am not worsted wool's greatest fan, my recent cloth purchase was for Camel(Beige) Granito Basalt.

I called Granito directly and the transaction was so easy that the purchase was made while I was walking down the aisle at Home Depot :-)

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.granitocloth.com/>http://www.granitocloth.com/</a>

Fred

Rich R.
09-03-2002, 12:10 PM
In your opinion Fred, how does the Granito play in comparison to the Simonis?
Rich R.

Rich R.
09-03-2002, 12:16 PM
Yes they should have samples of cloth. That is where my wife and I will make the final color decision. What I am trying to find out, among my other questions, is what brands of cloth play similar to the Simonis? Not all retailers sell all brands and I'm just trying to cut to the chase and narrow down which retailers to visit.
Rich R.

09-03-2002, 12:46 PM
Nobody has answered your question about the rails and pocket size. As for the rails, manufacturers say the rubber should last 50 years. Don't know if that's true, but the thing that I would be concerned about is making sure the rubber is attached to the rail firmly. The glue will dry out and the rubber will come off. Also, sitting on the rail and other no no's will loosen it as well.

As for tightening the pockets, the easiest and cheapest way is to just double shim them. This doesn't change the angle and make it play like a Diamond or equivalent, it just makes the pocket a little tighter. Changing the angle may require custom work that would no doubt be expensive.

BTW, I've heard that the Granito Tournament is good stuff and plays similar to the Simonis. Mueller has it. If you choose the Simonis and can buy the cloth yourself, not from the local shop doing the work, get it at Ozoneparkbilliards.com. They have the best prices on Simonis that I have found.

And for your last question, Danny Green supposedly is a table mechanic and lives in your area. His number is (202)359-6038 and his company is called "Everything Pool". Don't know if the number is still correct and I don't know if he does a good job or not. Maybe somebody on the forum might know.

Just my .02 worth, hope it helps.

09-03-2002, 12:52 PM

Fred Agnir
09-03-2002, 01:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr> In your opinion Fred, how does the Granito play in comparison to the Simonis?
Rich R. <hr></blockquote>
I like Granito Basalt over Simonis 860. I'd say they play similarly. The biggest difference is that the Simonis shows the white burn marks more readily. I'm guessing that Simonis has a higher percentage of Nylon, which is most likely the cause of the white marks.

Fred

09-03-2002, 01:10 PM

Eric.
09-03-2002, 01:13 PM
Hi Rich,

Try this link, it should answer alot of questions. Hope this helps.
http://www.bestbilliard.com/resources/resources.htm

Eric

09-03-2002, 01:17 PM
Double shimming a table is just gluing two pocket facings together. I've heard of people triple shimming a table too, but I think that would affect the way the pockets played.

MikeM
09-03-2002, 01:26 PM
Rich,

Atlantic Billiards in Chantilly, VA. Number is 703-502-4300. Lots of experience and they do a great job.

MM

Rod
09-03-2002, 01:38 PM
WW, just peel it off, if it is really stuck dampen a cloth to help it release. Go down to the local pool room and buy another. They are a lickum, stickum spot. If you do glue it on use a water soluble glue.

Rich R.
09-04-2002, 04:09 AM
I just wanted to thank everyone for all the good information. You all have been very helpful.
Rich R.