PDA

View Full Version : Will leaving a pool cue in my car damage it?

jjinfla
11-18-2010, 12:19 PM
I have always heard that leaving a cue in a car can damage it.

Is that true or just a myth?

If it is true then what is worse - cold or hot weather? What kind of damage can happen?

wolfdancer
11-18-2010, 03:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of damage can happen? </div></div>
The lock on the trunk could become damaged, broken...
Why risk any warping from moisture or temp variances?

Deeman3
11-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Like Wolfdancer said, why do it? It is often rapid temperature changes that do you in but I think extreme heat is the worse thing.

Like a good woman, love it and it'll love you back! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Soflasnapper
11-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Prolly a little of both (i.e., a bit true, a bit a myth).

I've had three cases and 4 main playing cues over maybe 12 years (the first case was a fabric zipper job, then two hard cases), and in none of these situations, with mainly leaving the cues and case in the trunk of the car in the heat of South Florida, did I ever have a problem.

Now on the other hand, RJ's 'warp-resistant' Cuetec break-jump cue didn't resist all that much apparently, warping eventually, and prolly warping from similar trunk treatment.

So, remember, it's all good, unless you have a Cuetec!

Fran Crimi
11-19-2010, 05:53 AM
Wood expands and contracts in heat and cold. Warping is amost guaranteed if you leave your cue in your car over a long period of time, paricularly if you live in a humid climate.

With all that expanding and contracting going on, imagine what happens to the inlay work, not to mention the effects on the glue, tip and wrap. Your wrap can literally start to unwravel over time.

It's pretty simple. Pool cues were not constructed for outdoor use, so why store them there?

Tony_in_MD
11-19-2010, 06:01 AM
I got this advice many years ago, treat your cue as you would a child. You would not leave a child in a car would you?

Qtec
11-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Exactly Fran. You should never leave your cue in the boot of the car because of condensation.

I played a Tournament in England and we had to dash from the hall to the car when it was pouring down. Unknown to me my cue case wasn't closed properly and some water got in.
It was 3 days later that I got my cue out and the joint was swollen big time. I didn't hold out much hope but I let it dry out slowly and 12 years later its as good as new! This cue [ Gold medal Barracuda ] is now around 22 years old.

Q..you need to see this. EVERYBODY needs to see this.

A young Alex Higgins makes a 100 break in less that 3 minutes in an exhibition. Magic.. Watch the first ball to the corner pocket!! link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YQDZ1Qlt-k&feature=related)

For everyone, just look how he holds the cue.

Soflasnapper
11-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks for that linked video.

But what are we looking for in terms of how he holds the cue? (Kinda toward the back end, relatively speaking?)

Also, my apologies for my crack about CueTec cues, which was not serious and which I would not have made had I considered your handle!

Rich R.
11-21-2010, 07:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Q..you need to see this. EVERYBODY needs to see this.

A young Alex Higgins makes a 100 break in less that 3 minutes in an exhibition. Magic.. Watch the first ball to the corner pocket!! link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YQDZ1Qlt-k&feature=related)

For everyone, just look how he holds the cue. </div></div>
I don't know what this part of you post had to do with the original topic and I don't want to hijack the thread but, as some one who knows almost nothing about snooker, I found this video very interesting. It was not only fascinating to see him play excellent snooker but I found it very interesting to see the referee replace balls on the table without interfering with the quick pace of the player.

Fran Crimi
11-21-2010, 09:06 AM
I found that part about the ref to be very interesting as well, Rich. He had to be really on the ball not to interfere with such fast play.

As for his back hand, he keeps his entire hand on the cue which is something I've always agreed with. Some people like to take their pinkie off of the cue. I don't.

Deeman3
11-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Fran,

When I lived in Europe, I attended many snooker matches and was amazed at the skill of really good referees who could be almost invisible during the match. Here much a the crowd is ofter blocked at seeing shots but the Europeans do a good job, outside ones at the Mosconi Cup who seem to want to be seen!

Fran Crimi
11-22-2010, 07:40 AM
I agree, DeeMan. A good referee needs to be extremely sensitive to everything around him. That includes the players first of course, then the spectators, and then the TV crew. It's important for the ref to talk with the film crew before the match to find out where they will be stationed and then to focus on staying out of the way and out of the limelight. The other thing refs need to be aware of is that they should try not to block the spectators for too long. If they have to stand in front of someone, then they should move after a short while so everyone gets a chance to see. I've seen referees just park themselves in one spot, blocking rows of people behind them for the entire match.

11-22-2010, 03:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The other thing refs need to be aware of is that they should try not to block the spectators for too long. If they have to stand in front of someone, then they should move after a short while so everyone gets a chance to see. I've seen referees just park themselves in one spot, blocking rows of people behind them for the entire match. </div></div>

*cough* Ken Shuman @US Open*cough*

Eric &gt; /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Deeman3
11-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Fran,

Just so everyone knows, I first chatted on CCB back in about 1998 or so with Fran on here. I think my name was Snake way back then but she was always here helping others when most Pro players didn't even know what a keyboard was, graciously giving advice as well as moral support to all. Only a handful of us go back that far now but it was such a blessed place when she, George and others took their time to make sure we all were able express our opinions no matter how lame at times.

I still have a crush on he after all that time but DeeWoman understands and knows, like Fran, I am harmless! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

From a lot of us, Fran, thanks for being our sweetheart all these years.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Fran Crimi
11-23-2010, 01:16 AM
LOL! Did somebody PM you complaining--- who does that know-it-all broad thinks she is? I get that a lot. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Rich R.
11-23-2010, 07:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The other thing refs need to be aware of is that they should try not to block the spectators for too long. If they have to stand in front of someone, then they should move after a short while so everyone gets a chance to see. I've seen referees just park themselves in one spot, blocking rows of people behind them for the entire match. </div></div>

Eric &gt; /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif </div></div>
Ken Shuman has gotten better since a few very delightful and polite people brought his actions to his attention. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif
He still has some room for improvement.

11-23-2010, 01:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The other thing refs need to be aware of is that they should try not to block the spectators for too long. If they have to stand in front of someone, then they should move after a short while so everyone gets a chance to see. I've seen referees just park themselves in one spot, blocking rows of people behind them for the entire match. </div></div>

Ken Shuman has gotten better since a few very delightful and polite people brought his actions to his attention. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif
He still has some room for improvement. </div></div>

Amen!

Eric &gt;thinks Ken makes a better door, than window

Deeman3
11-23-2010, 02:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL! Did somebody PM you complaining--- who does that know-it-all broad thinks she is? I get that a lot. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

Nope, just just an expression of appreciation for all that shared knowledge and friendship over the years when others didn't always stick with us. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Besides, no one will get on a NYC Gal's bad side for long and live to tell about it! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Fran Crimi
11-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Well hell then.... thanks so much from the bottom of my NYC girl heart ---- There will always be a place in it occupied by the DeeMan.

Deeman3
11-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Fran,

You can always tell friends traveling South to Alabama that the President of your fan club Southern Chapter will make sure they are safe while here!

I'll stop this now as my pretty little wife may have one of these fellow posters bust me while at Derby City. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Deeman3
11-23-2010, 06:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The other thing refs need to be aware of is that they should try not to block the spectators for too long. If they have to stand in front of someone, then they should move after a short while so everyone gets a chance to see. I've seen referees just park themselves in one spot, blocking rows of people behind them for the entire match. </div></div>

He still has some room for improvement. </div></div>

Amen!

Eric &gt;thinks Ken makes a better door, than window </div></div>

Ken has a lot of energy and knows his stuff but I have offered him a Valium on occasion! Of course, he didn't take it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

jjinfla
11-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Fran, do you miss not playing on the Woman's tour? Are you still active with the WPBA? Still running your pool school?

Fran Crimi
11-27-2010, 09:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jjinfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fran, do you miss not playing on the Woman's tour? Are you still active with the WPBA? Still running your pool school?
</div></div>

Good questions, Jake. I'm not sure I know all the answers. I no longer have my school which closed when Corner Billiards closed, but I still teach groups and private lessons.

Sometimes I miss competing against the women but most times I don't. Years ago it was a necessity, because competing locally against men meant having to endure their anger and antics whenever I'd give them a run for their money, or God forbid.. win a match. Things have gotten better where men accept women more in competition than they did years ago. I can stay busy all the time competing in all the regional tours we have here in the North East without the extra added travel expenses. I now play in Danny Barouty's 14.1 league in NYC and love it.

As for the WPBA, I will always be a supporter because even when they go through rough times, they are trying to keep their organization going for their players, and that's what it's all about.

robert
11-27-2010, 02:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like Wolfdancer said, why do it? It is often rapid temperature changes that do you in but I think extreme heat is the worse thing.

Like a good woman, love it and it'll love you back! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Temperature can be the main cause for damaging the cue. Although I don't have any experience with that but still I would not suggest you to do that because you must be aware of this line- "precaution is always better than cure". Cheers!!

esb77
02-01-2011, 03:04 PM
It's way too humid here for that. Doesn't work well with keeping pieces of wood straight.

I sometimes leave a cue in the trunk overnight, but only if it's not raining or wet outside, and never in the summertime. Haven't had a warping issue before. The heat and moisture is the problem. In the winter here, it's safer IMO because usually it's drier and cold. I treat it like leaving a gun in the car. You don't want it too hot :O, but cold shouldn't be a big deal.

Sev
02-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Try leaving a cue with ivory out in your car in sub 0 weather and then bring it in to shoot some pool with.