PDA

View Full Version : How much weight from The Ghost?

Soflasnapper
11-18-2010, 07:40 PM
Playing The Ghost is a measure of run-out pool. If you run out, you win. If you don't, The Ghost wins, because the Ghost is that good.

Now, turns out The Ghost is a soft touch, or overly confident, in making the game. The Ghost will give you almost any weight you ask for, if you are sincere (that you suck!).

If you play The Ghost, do you play him straight up, or what weight do you negotiate? If I needed the 5-out in 9-ball (not that I'm saying I do, and it IS The Ghost after all so shutup!), should I even play The Ghost that way?

Lastly, does anyone give The Ghost weight (which I guess would have to be games on the wire)? Yourself or anyone you've heard of?

Rich R.
11-19-2010, 07:43 AM
The Ghost is a real bast**d. He never gives me any weight and I lose a lot. However, I don't get weight from anyone else either so it is a realistic test in that respect. Fortunately, others I play against aren't as good as the Ghost and sometimes I get a second, or a third, chance at the table.

Bambu
11-20-2010, 09:52 AM
One way to negotiate with the ghost is to use less balls. Even if its only 3 or 5 balls, find a game where you can play him even up. That way you can note your progress, and add a ball when the time comes.

Never heard of giving the ghost weight or games, only adding balls. But hey, be creative. You can do anything you feel is productive. But, winning on easy combos with the 5 and out wont get you very far.

JJFSTAR
11-20-2010, 11:30 AM
I play the ghost strait up but my ghost sucks compared to other peoples ghost. Mine can’t get a good hit on a kick shot so I beat him often. I actually never saw the difference between the way most people “play the ghost” and just breaking the balls and trying to run the table. I find what I do in “playing the ghost” to be a little more like what I do in playing the game. To a truly great pool player this might not be all that challenging but it is for me and is really good practice.

Soflasnapper
11-20-2010, 07:54 PM
The main difference would seem to be keeping score, and trying to get more runouts than not in a shortish race of racks.

Making that attempt would make for a little more pressure than simply trying to run out the rack(s), and maybe lead to a more effective practice, compared to no perceived pressure.

JoeW
11-22-2010, 12:00 AM
I don't give the Ghost weight but I do play him 15 ball rotation with one point per ball when I am feeling perky. Tough game nearly impossible to win unless your name is Effren.

Started playing 15 ball rotation with a friend who said he hates to rack so often and found it to be a truly fascinating game. Seems there are many more complications with the additional balls and it brings out the worst in your ability to play.

Deeman3
11-22-2010, 03:39 PM
I killed the ghost in a violent outburst a year and a half ago. He is dead and buried but my trial for manslaughter will take place at Derby City in late January. I am expected to have Ace as my lawyer and a few of you guys as witnesses or at least character witnesses!

If my memory serves me right, the last time I backed then ghost, it cost me some C notes.

I was on peaceful terms with him in 9 ball, but playing him in one pocket brought out the vengeful killer in moi! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

11-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Have you been drinking, sir?

Eric >step out of the car

Deeman3
11-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Eric,

No, I have not drank in years but would need to start again if I took my recent attempts against the Ghost seriously anymore!

Now, I am not the guy who does physical combat with Fast Idiots am I? I just yap at em on here!

How's it going Eric? Good to hear from you. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

11-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Deeman, you almost said the name that has been stricken. Do not say it three times in a row...

Eric >good to see you around too, Dee

Deeman3
11-23-2010, 07:45 PM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif