PDA

View Full Version : They don't make them the way they used to!

LWW
11-20-2010, 01:18 PM
THANK GOD! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJrXViFfMGk&feature=related)

LWW

pooltchr
11-20-2010, 03:28 PM
What a shame to destroy a perfectly good classic car! There was a time when that model was our family car when I was a kid.

Steve

LWW
11-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Being a lover of vintage cars I concur.

That being said, GM set this up to demonstrate how far safety technology had come 1959 and 2009.

I would have never believed that 3500 lb car would do that to a 5500 lb car.

LWW

pooltchr
11-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Their point is well taken. Structural design of cars has evolved from just building a steel box, to developing crumple zones designed to absorb impact and protect the passenger compartment. The engineering is really quite impressive.

Steve
(Would still like to have that old 59 Chevy...or even my first car...a 65 Impala!)

Deeman3
11-20-2010, 05:13 PM
As a guy who's career basically spanned this entire time, I am amazed, myself, at how far we have come.

We actually owe much of this to "Unsafe at any Speed" by our pal, Ralph Nader. His early work forced us to learn much and change everything. I, of coursYhe, have studied the data extensively over the decades and his push, along. With a lot other's hard work made all this possible saving tens of thousands of lives a year, despite many more cars on the road. Racing has also added much to our technology and science. Even NASCAR has value! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

pooltchr
11-20-2010, 05:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Even NASCAR has value! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
</div></div>

Not just yeah...but Hell Yeah!!
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Steve

Sev
11-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Well at least it wasnt a 57

dg-in-centralpa
11-20-2010, 07:18 PM
at least it wasn't a 2 door.

dg

eg8r
11-20-2010, 10:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even NASCAR has value! </div></div>It has taught all the bubba's how to make left hand turns. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

pooltchr
11-21-2010, 08:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even NASCAR has value! </div></div>It has taught all the bubba's how to make left hand turns. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r </div></div>

Yeah...we hardly ever go left!!!!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Steve