PDA

View Full Version : Some Predator BK answers-

Eric.
09-03-2002, 12:10 PM
Having my Labor Day plans cut short due to the non-stop rain in the Northeast, I decided to get some answers to all the hubbub about the Predator BK. First of all, I do like and own one, so I'll try to stick to the facts on this. I bought another BK to find out what is going on with it. I have a friend that has a table saw. We threw the cue on the saw and cut it in half. Right down the middle, from tip to butt cap. Here's what I found:

-the shaft is a typical 10 piece Predator(Not laminated)
with an insert inside the shaft, near the ferrule.
-the ferrule is about 3/4" and appears to be a Fibre ferrule
-the shaft taper starts to grow around 4" past the ferrule
-there is less wood in the butt, it has a plastic coating around the whole butt that is around an 1/8" thick
-the plastic coating on the butt is the same material as the collar on the shaft
-the weight screw is the same as on a regular cue and is approx. the same depth

Now I'm not sure what all this means but if it has something to do with how the cue performs, I like it. Also, I think I voided my Predator warranty(!)so don't try this at home. I hope this might provide some answers on the BK myth.

Eric >nothing to do and all day to do it

Fred Agnir
09-03-2002, 12:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eric.:</font><hr> I have a friend that has a table saw. We threw the cue on the saw and cut it in half. <hr></blockquote>
The magic breaking fairy was trapped in the space where the insert goes. Sawing the cue released her. Next time, have a net ready.

Fred &lt;~~~ waiting for pictures

09-03-2002, 12:37 PM
I also own one and like it.

Although some have said here it is nothing but a stock Predator shaft on a stock Predator/Falcon butt, I see two major differences that make me prefer it to a stock Predator/Falcon cue.

1: The shaft is a different taper. It starts tapering out earlier, so the shaft is a bit stronger.
2: It does not have a metal joint. This changes the weight distribution from that of most Predator/Falcon cues. I don't like metal joints for a couple of reasons. One is feel. But that doesn't matter for a break cue, so we'll skip it. (I don't like the way Predator shafts feel either, so I don't play with one.) The other is the weight distribution. A metal joint tends to make a cue more forward-weighted. I don't like that. Predator says something about it being more rear-weighted, putting more weight in your hand, better control, etc. I don't really care much about marketing statements. What I do care about is that I prefer a cue that is more rear-ward balanced than you get with most metal-jointed cues. I liked breaking with Cuetec's for partly the same reason. And I didn't like breaking with a stock metal-jointed Falcon cue for the same reason. The balance of it feels "funny" to me.

Eric.
09-03-2002, 01:41 PM
Hey Fred &amp; Mike,

I didn't take pics, but if you're interested, maybe I'll have someone scan them and I'll post it. One note- I did notice that the laminated tip didn't hold up well. Seems like the layers were coming apart. Is that a defect? Seems like once the saw blade hit the leather, the tip didn't hold up anymore. Should I call the manufacturer?
(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Eric &gt;Professional jackass

09-03-2002, 01:48 PM
Hey, that was a good one! (The joke, I mean.) /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

PQQLK9
09-03-2002, 02:29 PM
Did you really? Aw common ...tell me it's a late April Fools joke....Did you use the old BK or the new one /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif and did you take out the weight bolt and joint pin before cutting...I did see a cut-away cue like that on display in a store once...darn thing was cut right through the bolt and pin. Have you ever been curious about a $5,000.00 sustom cue. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Eric.
09-04-2002, 08:35 AM
I did take the joint and weight bolt out just to make it a cleaner cut. Like I said, too much time and nothing to do is a bad thing. Oh well. You know, after reading all this crap on the BK, it got to the point where my buddy and I said "fu&lt;k it, let's find out the real deal". Just thought I would share what I found with everyone.

Eric &gt;got a spare UniLoc joint and weight bolt

bluewolf
09-04-2002, 09:15 AM
I like a back weighted cue too. both of my sceptres are that way.as long as the break cue is straight,solid,slightly back weighted, i dont see spending 400 on a bk. i think given the above factors and a good stroke, the tip is more important than the cue.a hard talisman for breaking would be to my liking.

bluewolf

09-04-2002, 09:21 AM

bluewolf
09-04-2002, 10:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: bluewolf:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; I like a back weighted cue too. both of my sceptres are that way.as long as the break cue is straight,solid,slightly back weighted, i dont see spending 400 on a bk. i think given the above factors and a good stroke, the tip is more important than the cue.a hard talisman for breaking would be to my liking.

bluewolf &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

The Sceptre cues are weighted more in the front. But I am willing to bet a small amount that they break better than the Predator BK. We shall see in Va Beach (Lorri /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif) LOL. <hr></blockquote>

yeah i see what you mean. i thought you told me they were back weighted. must have misunderstood.

bluewolf

09-04-2002, 08:18 PM
I just sanded off the Predator logo on the forearm of a BK cue and refinished it for a customer that didn't like the looks of it. I must say that the cue does look a lot better with that big yellow lettering off of the forearm.

rackmup
09-04-2002, 10:10 PM
Next time you feel like blowing three Benjamins out of boredom, send it to me and I will do something exciting with it and report back to you on what I did.

Regards,

Ken

clarence
09-05-2002, 02:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eric.:</font><hr> I did take the joint and weight bolt out just to make it a cleaner cut. Like I said, too much time and nothing to do is a bad thing. Oh well. You know, after reading all this crap on the BK, it got to the point where my buddy and I said "fu&lt;k it, let's find out the real deal". Just thought I would share what I found with everyone.

Eric &gt;got a spare UniLoc joint and weight bolt <hr></blockquote>

is there any balance weight in the forearm like the Predator 2 ?

What was the weight of the break cue and how heavy was the weight bolt and its dimention (thickness &amp; length

SPetty
09-05-2002, 07:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eric.:</font><hr> I bought another BK to find out what is going on with it. I have a friend that has a table saw. We threw the cue on the saw and cut it in half. Right down the middle, from tip to butt cap. <hr></blockquote>Eric, this is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. You're my hero for the week!

Eric.
09-05-2002, 08:06 AM
&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

What was the weight of the break cue and how heavy was the weight bolt and its dimention (thickness &amp; length <hr></blockquote>

Nope, no balance in the forearm, just an insert in the shaft, near the ferrule and the weight bolt in the butt.

The cue was a 19.5 oz, didn't weigh or measure the weight screw, it looks like your average weight screw(?)

Eric

Eric.
09-05-2002, 08:14 AM
Hero?! The only person/thing that considers me a hero is my dog. But then again, if you fed him, you'd be his hero too!

Eric &gt;glad you got a kick outta this post

Rod
09-05-2002, 10:11 AM
Erick I wasn't going to reply because it isn't pool related but you may appreciate this related experience.

I was at Porsche of America in Teaneck New Jersey years ago. In the show room the had a Porsche Carerra cut in half dead down the center. It was perfect from front to back, right through the crank centerline, transmission mainshaft and gears. It literally was a complete car cut in half. That takes on a new meaning to the term cut in half. I can only imagine the hours it must have taken. Where do you get a band saw that big? /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Eric.
09-05-2002, 01:11 PM
Hey Rod,

Teaneck is about 45 min north of me, that car would've been a great conversation piece for the coffee table! I wonder how they were able to cut it that perfectly straight?

Eric &gt;hope that wasn't Rod's car they used

clarence
09-05-2002, 04:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eric.:</font><hr> &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

What was the weight of the break cue and how heavy was the weight bolt and its dimention (thickness &amp; length &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Nope, no balance in the forearm, just an insert in the shaft, near the ferrule and the weight bolt in the butt.

The cue was a 19.5 oz, didn't weigh or measure the weight screw, it looks like your average weight screw(?)

Eric <hr></blockquote>

when you say insert in the shaft near the ferrule do you mean a hollowed out area coz the shaft end of 314 shafts are hollowed out in the center (bored .25" diameter) for the 5 or 6 inches in length down the shaft to lower shaft end mass to get lower deflection. . Is this the insert you say or is there any metal inside this "insert" to add weight to the shaft as opposed to reducing weight on the shaft end (deflection purpose)

heater451
11-07-2002, 08:39 AM
Just a guess, but the car might have been cut in half with a water/abrasive jet cutter (aka, "water-laser"). These are usually a CNC setup, so the "feed" rate could be adjusted for the thicker sections.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.hydrojet.com/cutting.html>Hydrojet.com</a>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Hydrojet.com:</font><hr>Employing today's most advanced system, Hydrojet Services can handle the machining of virtually any material with greater accuracy and quality, at a lower cost. Our waterjet/abrasivejet cutting system is incredibly efficient. It cuts metallic and non-metallic materials without heat, producing exceptional edge quality and eliminating the need for secondary processing. With its path controlled by computer and its multi-axis capability, it cuts complex shapes and contours with extreme precision.<hr></blockquote>

===========================

eg8r
11-07-2002, 12:31 PM
I am not sure, but maybe they have a steady hand and a decent plasma cutter. lol

eg8r

Rod
11-07-2002, 01:17 PM
I wish I remembered the story on that 1/2 Carrera. It must have been done by the factory. They would probably have been the only ones with the capability. Porsche was big time into racing then and now, they do some amazing things. One year the Boss exploded a tranny in his RSK Spyder during qualifying. He called the Factory, then in Stuttgart Germany as I recall and had one late morning the next day. Enough time to make another qualifying run. Remember were talking 60's here so the technology is limited.

Voodoo Daddy
11-07-2002, 07:24 PM
Eric...in my state they have whats called a "gun buy-back". It gives people the opportunity to turn in unwanted guns for certificates for groceries. I wonder if we can start a "Bk buy-back and burn"? You know, have people bring their BK's to a location, give the person a house cue and burn all the Bk's...cause we all know that a BK makes great firewoood!!! I miss my bro Eric but I dont miss being around ANY Predator cue!!!

Tom_In_Cincy
11-07-2002, 08:50 PM
VooDoo Daddy
Since when do One Pocket players know anything about break cues?

Let alone anyone from Florida, know anything about firewood?

On the other hand.. Predator is better at marketing their firewood than Meucci is at theirs..

Still can't wait until Jan 3rd... see ya Big Daddy

Voodoo Daddy
11-07-2002, 10:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> VooDoo Daddy
Q} Since when do One Pocket players know anything about break cues?

A}I'm a reformed 9-ball player

Q} Let alone anyone from Florida, know anything about firewood?

A} During cold winter days in Central Florida, we {A former girlfriend and I} would light a fire in the fireplace...full of Meucci's

Quote} On the other hand.. Predator is better at marketing their firewood than Meucci is at theirs..

Rebuttle} See, I told you Meucci's burned nice

Finally Tom says;} Still can't wait until Jan 3rd... see ya Big Daddy

Steve replies;} I'm countin' the days until Tom, CC and the rest of us converge on L-ville!!

11-07-2002, 11:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> burn all the Bk's...cause we all know that a BK makes great firewoood!!! I miss my bro Eric but I dont miss being around ANY Predator cue!!! <hr></blockquote>

voodoo, bro! i never knew you were a predaphobic. wazzup w/dat??

dan

Voodoo Daddy
11-07-2002, 11:51 PM
As Run-D-MC once said "Its like that and thats the way it is"...HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Eric.
11-08-2002, 09:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Eric...in my state they have whats called a "gun buy-back". It gives people the opportunity to turn in unwanted guns for certificates for groceries. I wonder if we can start a "Bk buy-back and burn"? You know, have people bring their BK's to a location, give the person a house cue and burn all the Bk's...cause we all know that a BK makes great firewoood!!! I miss my bro Eric but I dont miss being around ANY Predator cue!!! <hr></blockquote>

My Brotha,

I don't want to sound like a hippocrite (sp?), I own a BK and do like the way it breaks. I did my science project because I was bored and figured I'd get some answers to the Predator hype!

Eric &gt;{Valley Forge}