PDA

View Full Version : Life without Jeter?

eg8r
11-23-2010, 02:58 PM
What the heck would baseball in 2011 be like if Jeter appeared in a different jersey? I would be sad. I understand this is a business though and I think it is time for Jeter to at least acknowledge the fact that he is extremely overpaid. He wants the Yankees to be fair but I don't think he is being fair either. The Yankess have offered a reported 3year $45 million deal to Jeter but Cashman said he wants more money and more years. Are you kidding me???

eg8r

LWW
11-23-2010, 03:54 PM
I think he's worth more than that ... even in today's market.

Ultimately a player's value is based on how many arse's they can put in the seats.

LWW

eg8r
11-23-2010, 05:01 PM
So how would you go about proving that to Yankees management? I am not sure about his jersey sales but history has proven this to not matter. As long as the Yankees put a winning team on the field the people will show up.

Recent history proves this with Don Mattingly. Remeber when they pushed him out the door? Well they picked up some nobody named Tino Martinez and the rest is history. Look at when Babe Ruth was let go after a "disappointing" season of 35+ homeruns? Fans still came. They ran Mickey Mantle out also and people still showed up to watch them play.

I think the Yankees have the upper hand this time. Jeter NEEDS the Yankees not the other way around. Jeter is my 5th or 6th favorite Yankee of all time but I do think he should recognize his position and take less money to stay in pinstripes. IMHO, it is his turn to be faithful back to the fans instead of the other way around.

eg8r

sack316
11-23-2010, 05:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So how would you go about proving that to Yankees management? I am not sure about his jersey sales...</div></div>

Jeter was once again the #1 selling Jersey this year, just FYI

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I think the Yankees have the upper hand this time. Jeter NEEDS the Yankees not the other way around.</div></div>

I'm not sure either really "needs" the other. As your other points have shown, the pinstripes will live on and do just fine, even without the biggest of Yankee lore on the field. Jeter (if it's about money) will get it somewhere... I don't think Cashman---greatest name for an agent ever--- would push the issue on the contract if he didn't already know he could get a better offer somewhere.

Guess in the end it will come down to loyalty, and what's important to both sides. Even with his production declining, I wouldn't mind seeing ol' DJ at Wrigley /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif but would definitely be weird seeing him in a different uniform!

Sack

Deeman3
11-23-2010, 05:57 PM
I don't pretend to keep up with baseball, especially when St. Louis is not playing well.

However, how has Jeter's off field career been? I mean, in a time when most Pro Players have more felonies and kids than Obama's Cabinet, has he been pretty clean?

Just curious.

sack316
11-23-2010, 06:00 PM
yeah, pretty well the poster child for what a role model should be, as far as I can recall. Quiet, doesn't get into controversy. Goes out and works hard and does his job.

Sack

Deeman3
11-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Then in today's market, that has got to be worth a few million a year, never shot himself in the leg, no dog fighting and stayed away from drugs and politics?

Sounds like HOF, to me.

eg8r
11-23-2010, 08:14 PM
I don't think anyone else is going to offer $45 million for 3 years. Only the Yankees spend that kind of money on a declining great and their history has proven that once you get to this point they expect you take a pay cut. I am on the fence here because I understand both sides. My problem is that I cannot fathom making the kind of money these guys make so I don't feel sorry for them if they don't get what they want.

Jeter in a Cubs uniform, never. He is a proven winner. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
11-23-2010, 08:16 PM
He is an absolute saint. Well, except for dating Madonna, or was that ARoid? No I think Jeter dated Mariah, he is definitely the winner of those two. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
11-23-2010, 08:17 PM
He will be a first ballot hall of famer. He might even be the first (or one of the very few) that gets a unanimous decision.

eg8r

sack316
11-23-2010, 08:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think anyone else is going to offer $45 million for 3 years. Only the Yankees spend that kind of money on a declining great and their history has proven that once you get to this point they expect you take a pay cut. I am on the fence here because I understand both sides. My problem is that I cannot fathom making the kind of money these guys make so I don't feel sorry for them if they don't get what they want.

Jeter in a Cubs uniform, never. He is a proven winner. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r </div></div>

I dunno, Yankees have no problems putting butts in seats... but a lot of other teams do. Could be well worth it for some team to shell out some dough.

But you are right, they all are overpaid. I've actually got a friend that retired a couple of years ago (I'll hold his name out of this one, but have mentioned him before). Anyway, he was never a great player, always slightly below average really over his 12 seasons. In his waining years he was making nearly a million per season. His final season in the bigs was actually his highest paid of his career ($1.15 mil)... he played 4 games that year. Go figure

Sack

eg8r
11-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Wow, not a bad paycheck. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

My brother has a friend that is in the Yankee farm system and has been invited for the past 3 years to camp. One of these days he is going to make it and we are finally going to get some tickets to the games. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;~~~hoping this kid shines come February and March /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

LWW
11-24-2010, 04:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So how would you go about proving that to Yankees management? I am not sure about his jersey sales but history has proven this to not matter. As long as the Yankees put a winning team on the field the people will show up.

eg8r </div></div>

Let's review. Derek Jeter just competed his 15th full season. During that span they have:

- 5 world series championships.

- 7 league championships.

- 11 division championships.

- 3 wild card berths.

There is no player in the game who has a longer, broader, or deeper history of his team being successful.

The reason is that in the great sea of star players who play to pad their stats and enlarge their wallet ... they have had one consistent leader who plays the game the right way and has been the undeniable heart and soul of the franchise.

And, FWIW, I simply cannot stand the New York Yankees ... but Derek Jeter is far and away the exception to that.

Next, add in that Jeter is closing in on several Hall of Fame type career marks ... such as 3,000 hits ... and Jeter is going to continue to be a draw.

LWW

LWW
11-24-2010, 04:27 AM
Let's not forget:

- 11× All-Star selection (1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010)

- 5× Gold Glove Award winner (2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010)

- 4× Silver Slugger Award winner (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009)

- 2× AL Hank Aaron Award winner (2006, 2009)

- 1996 AL Rookie of the Year Award

- 2000 All-Star Game MVP Award

-2000 World Series MVP Award

-2000 Babe Ruth Award

- 2009 Roberto Clemente Award

- 2009 Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year

- Sports Illustrated MLB All-Decade Team (2009)

- New York Yankees team captain (2003–present)

- New York Yankees career hits record (2,926)

And that an average Jeter season has been 15 home runs/75 ribeyes/.314 average/195 base hits/112 runs scored/Gold Glove award/all star team selection.

LWW

eg8r
11-24-2010, 08:07 AM
While I agree with all the stats and all the great things you said about Jeter, the Yankees have proven to be an organization that does not care what about you did for me yesterday and the fans have proven they will still come out to the ballpark if you let the star move on. Another very recent example was Bernie Williams. Talk about shunning a Yankee superstar. What happened they replaced him and time moved on.

eg8r

eg8r
11-24-2010, 08:08 AM
Show me one player that the Yankee organization has taken a players past performance and used that to give him too much money just to keep playing well past his prime?

eg8r

LWW
11-24-2010, 10:43 AM
There's the rub ... I don't think he's past he's "well past his prime" yet.

LWW

sack316
11-24-2010, 04:02 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Show me one player that the Yankee organization has taken a players past performance and used that to give him too much money just to keep playing well past his prime?

eg8r </div></div>

Posada makes pretty good bank (over $13 mil/year). But that may be from a contract after his great '07 season, I'm not sure. But he hasn't made less than $11 million since 2005, and only one 'great' season in that span.

Sack

Deeman3
11-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Well, in effect they have said, Go see what others team will pay. I hope they work something out as it would be god for him finish with the Yankees.

eg8r
11-24-2010, 04:24 PM
I agree that he is overpaid but in that example he was given a new contract based on the previous years performance (which is how most players get raises). If we do the same for Jeter then the pay cut is certainly in line.

A lot of people thought his performance 2 years ago was a giant fluke and tole everyone to wait one more year. Well they for the most part are correct. Even though he won the gold glove we all still know that he was not even in the top 4 shortstops and the contract that was offered to him would have still kept him as the top paid shortstop in the AL.

I don't know, I wish he would take the 3 year deal and get this behind him. He really needs to be concentrating on his lack of production at the plate not contract negotiations. We still need to resign Mo and I wondering if Jeter is just holding out to see what Mo gets.

eg8r

eg8r
11-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Yep. The Yankees have allowed him to make the next move. The ball is in Jeter's court right now. Let's see what he does.

eg8r &lt;~~~will be sad he if walks

sack316
11-24-2010, 04:33 PM
I agree, he should take the deal and prove he can produce. I'm sure they could include some kind of incentive clause in the deal that allows him to earn more based on performance. Do that, and then if he performs he earns his right to what he was asking for. If he doesn't, then the Yanks don't pay any more than they were willing to in the first place.

But maybe that makes too much sense /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack

Deeman3
11-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Excellent solution. I wonder why they have not come up with that? Really, he hits XXX and has XXX fielding percentage and he gets more.

sack316
11-24-2010, 04:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excellent solution. I wonder why they have not come up with that? Really, he hits XXX and has XXX fielding percentage and he gets more. </div></div>

Yeah, I mean right now the yanks are offering 3 years at $45 million ($15 mil per year).

Jeter (Cashman) wants more years and more money.

OK, so they could say hit .300, make all stars, rank in the top 5 fielding (change or add in whatever other incentives like All-star, playoff appearance, etc.) and add in money and/or contract extension option accordingly.

Just sit down, say this is what we are offering and this is what we expect from you for that. Exceed it in this way and that way, and this is what you will earn for it.

Sack--- needs to be in the front office somewhere /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r
11-25-2010, 09:12 AM
See, two nobodies on a discussion forum can come up with a perfectly good deal but the guys in the suits would be willing to let him walk. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

eg8r

sack316
12-04-2010, 11:48 PM
All is well in Yankee land

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/joe_sheehan/12/04/yankees.jeter/

$16 mil per year for 3 years, with a player option for a 4th that guarantees $8 mil plus incentive bonuses (so guess they kinda used our idea for the option year anyway)

Sack

eg8r
12-06-2010, 08:21 AM
All is well. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Looks like Mo's contract is almost complete also. He will be sticking around for at least 2 more years.

Now we get to see if the lure of money is enough to snatch Lee from Texas.

eg8r