PDA

View Full Version : No more hats...

eg8r
11-23-2010, 03:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rep. Frederica Wilson
The Florida Democrat hasn’t even taken office, but she is already gearing up for a fight over an age-old U.S. House rule.

Wilson is a connoisseur of hats, especially sequined cowboy ones, and she doesn’t take kindly to being told that the House doesn’t cotton to its members rocking Stetsons in its chamber.

“It's sexist,” Wilson told The Miami Herald. “It dates back to when men wore hats, and we know that men don't wear hats indoors, but women wear hats indoors. Hats are what I wear. People get excited when they see the hats. Once you get accustomed to it, it's just me. Some people wear wigs or high heel shoes or big earrings or pins. This is just me.”

Wilson had to take off her hat for her official congressional picture, a ruling she said she plans to appeal.

The odds are against the flamboyant freshman, according to PolitiFact. The hat ban has been in place since 1837, and was upheld during the 1970s when Rep. Bella Abzug pushed to sport her trademark broad-rimmed hats.

It will likely take a full House vote to overturn the rule, PolitiFact reported.

But Wilson does not seem deterred. Though she recently said she doesn’t know how many hats she owns, she told the Tampa Bay Times last year that she owns about 300, some of which are custom-dyed to match her suits.

Though it would be unreasonable to expect a photo gallery of all the hats, which take up an entire room in her house, the Miami New Times is showcasing 25 of its favorites.

</div></div> http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/23/tuesdays-intriguing-people-38/?hpt=T2

With so many important issues going on at this time, we have a Democrat that is looking to block progress by fighting for the right to wear her hats. How ridiculous is this. I think every person that voted for this woman should have to help pay for the costs incurred over this impending battle of hats.

eg8r

sack316
11-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Nothing like having your priorities in order

Sack

Deeman3
11-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Obviously one of the great human rights issues of this generation.

I can't wait for our first nudist house member! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

pooltchr
11-23-2010, 11:46 PM
Actually, I would feel much better if this was typical of the kind of things they worked on. It sure beats having them writing more laws and making government bigger!

Steve