PDA

View Full Version : Day Three: Unpacking boxes

rackmup
09-03-2002, 12:17 PM
The boxes loomed in the dining area like the monolithic panorama of the Grand Canyon. "can I take them?" I asked. I admit...I was afraid. "What's in those boxes?" I mused.

It had been so long since all of my belongings had seen the outside of their corrugated prison (I had never completely unpacked from the move to Texas...an omen maybe?)

I gingerly approached the first box. I purposely chose a small one. It was weak with only one strip of tape holding it closed. I sent a message to the other boxes as I ripped into this diminutive one. I was cautious as I unwrapped the newspaper from this unknown object..."Ahh...kitchen utensils AND the CAN OPENER! Where were you last night when I wanted to open that can of hot dog chili?"

I gained confidence as I opened box-after-box. I was finally over my fear and becoming comfortable with reuniting with my belongings.

"Hmmm...wonder what's in this box?" as I pulled the tape from the seam. "IT'S MY POOL STUFF!" I silently shouted. My plaques from league, trophies and my old personalized license plate from Arizona.

What did it say? The license plate?...

..."RACKMUP", of course.

Time for a break from the unpacking. I need to hang these in my den, right above the computer desk.

Regards,

Ken

Sid_Vicious
09-03-2002, 12:47 PM
Ya know if you'd unpacked the styrofoam dishes and plastic silverware and gotten your bed made on the couch(you need to gently break the bond between you and the couch in Arlington,,shouldn't go cold turkey), THEN you'd been able to play some nine ball with me on on Monday!

"Son, you just gottsta keep your priorities in order!!!"sid~~~still have unpacked boxes somewhere after all this time

rackmup
09-03-2002, 01:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Ya know if you'd unpacked the styrofoam dishes and plastic silverware and gotten your bed made on the couch(you need to gently break the bond between you and the couch in Arlington,,shouldn't go cold turkey), THEN you'd been able to play some nine ball with me on on Monday! <hr></blockquote>

The days of plastic utensils and styro plates are behind me. I bailed on that stuff in my early 20's and didn't become reacquainted with it until my move to Texas. No joke...the woman kept paper towels and paper plates in the OVEN! When I first noticed this (within days of moving into the house) I asked "Aren't you afraid of these things catching on fire?" Her reply was "I never use the oven. I don't bake." I then queried about the oven area still getting somewhat warm when the top burners are used and she responded "I don't use that either." I asked last "How do you fix meals for yourself and the kids?" She replied "If it can't be made in the microwave or eaten cold, it doesn't get eaten."

I am proudly unpacking real plates, glasses and metal flatware. My Calphalon cookware is ready for real meals. My ceramic coffee mugs have replaced the 6 oz. styrofoam cups that she so graciously allowed me to take with me.

God...this place is feeling like a real home already. Even the dogs seem happier.

Regards,

Ken (will be ready to match up for some of that big-money-race-to-five-9-ball this coming weekend.)

Sid_Vicious
09-03-2002, 04:17 PM
Your dog knows. Don't know the whys or hows but they just seem to realize where your thoughts are when the rest of the world is far, far away....sid~~~pets are perfect that way