PDA

View Full Version : Double holiday in Alabama...

sack316
11-25-2010, 10:50 AM
While most are celebrating Thanksgiving, we down here in the south now call it "Iron Bowl Eve".

The best and most hate filled rivalry in all of college football is upon us, and my surprising #2 Auburn Tigers are set to keep their BCS title hopes alive against defending national champion #11 Alabama Crimson Tide.

For those that don't know, the Iron Bowl is THE day here in Alabama. Congress looks like a tupperware party compared to the infighting that goes on year round in this state!

Here's hoping Cam and my boys can show 'em we deserve to be where we're at (and hopefully our defense can show up for 4 quarters for once too!)

WAR DAMN EAGLE,
Sack

Deeman3
11-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Sack,

I am going to be in front of my TV and cheering your Tigers tomorrow if I don't overdose on Turkey and Dressing.

I think it is all in your guy's hands, they are quite capable and should win. As long as Cam's dad takes the bullet, this may be your year. I'd hate to see Bama win just to screw up Auburn's perfect season. I am one of the few who normally does not choose sides but will be a Tiger fan tomorrow.

WAr Eagle! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r
11-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Two things, I played the half time show for Auburn's first game in 1993 (Auburn is not yet in session so they bring in high schools), and I hate Saban. So...I will be rooting for Auburn. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

sack316
11-25-2010, 10:23 PM
What I don't get is how Bama is a 4 point favorite in the game??

I mean, I do "get it" as I get to watch both teams week in and week out, and know that rankings mean nothing in this rivalry plus we're on the road... but still seemed odd Vegas puts the #2 team in the land as a dog versus a 2 loss team.

My keys to the game, besides the obvious Cam Newton effect:

1)discipline--- can't have dumb penalties and give up free yards/downs to a very good Alabama team. It's been an issue all year we've been lucky to overcome, we probably won't be so lucky tomorrow

2) Shut down Jones/Maze. We know our defense isn't strong and will give up points to any team. But we can't give up quick strike touchdowns, gotta make Bama work for theirs at least

3) McCaleb/Dyer must run well. Our offense can get down the field and score quick all day... but it tends to come at the expense of rest for our thin defense. We'll need to put together some long sustained drives

Sack

pooltchr
11-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Not looking very good in the first quarter.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

However, it looks like you 'bama boys are getting some well deserved recognition for your fine southern ladies in the form of a new "reality" tv show!

http://www.poptower.com/bama-belles.htm

Steve

sack316
11-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Nope, we're looking like crap and they are looking like they were supposed to look all season! Looking over my keys:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">discipline--- can't have dumb penalties and give up free yards/downs to a very good Alabama team. It's been an issue all year we've been lucky to overcome, we probably won't be so lucky tomorrow </div></div>

At a critical point, we had a stop early on. We get a dumb celebration penalty giving them a manageable 4th down. They convert, and wind up scoring to go up 21-0... when instead we should had the ball.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shut down Jones/Maze. We know our defense isn't strong and will give up points to any team. But we can't give up quick strike touchdowns, gotta make Bama work for theirs at least </div></div>

Jones has gone for 174 already, just in the first half. This has caused us to have to try to double team him, opening up Ingram to come out of the backfield on these hitch passes... and killing us!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">McCaleb/Dyer must run well. Our offense can get down the field and score quick all day... but it tends to come at the expense of rest for our thin defense. We'll need to put together some long sustained drives </div></div>

As I expected, they've keyed in on making sure Cam can't get loose. Dyer/McCaleb have a COMBINED 5 yards... a lack of threat from them is allowing Bama's D to just sell out on Cam. It has exposed some chances downfield... but we gotta give him time to find them.

I think our offense may finally open up some in the 2nd half and we'll put some points up... but the D is gonna have to really step it up and keep forcing turnovers for us to have a chance. We've spotted them too much already.

Oh well, I may not have my Iron Bowl bragging rights from the looks of things... but either way I can always fall back on "You bammers have fun watching us play in the SEC championship game next week" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack

sack316
11-26-2010, 04:13 PM
now back to my keys again...

No penalties yet in 2nd half

D is holding up ok, Jones very quiet so far in 2nd half...

McCaleb is getting some good yardage on his touches...

And suddenly it's 24-21 now

Hoping we keep it up! War damn eagle!

Sack

pooltchr
11-26-2010, 04:30 PM
The definitely have made it interesting. down 6 with a quarter to go.

Steve

pooltchr
11-26-2010, 05:11 PM
Nice comeback!
Great game.

Steve

sack316
11-26-2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks Steve... I'm on cloud nine right about now! Almost like 2 totally different games in each half!

And I hope all the Boise/TCU peeps watched and understand why a one loss big conference school can get the nod over them. SEC will have to go through between four to six insanely tough competitive games every year just in conference play.

Sack

Deeman3
11-26-2010, 05:43 PM
That was the most unbelievable game I have ever seen! Who get's down by that many against last year's champs and comes back? In Tuscaloosa?

AUBURN!

Congratulations, you don't know how many times I looked over bat the phone thinking of calling you and offering my sympathy!

Well Done!

sack316
11-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Thanks Dee... the call woulda been necessary I think! First half I called my Mom and told her to add a new TV to my x-mas list because I was pretty sure mine would not survive this game!

Now as long as we don't overlook SC in the SEC title game we're a lock for the BCS championship game.

We've got a ton of glaring weaknesses, but have found a way to pull it out each and every week. So proud of those boys!

Sack

eg8r
11-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Thank you Auburn. The only thing that would have made it any better would have been a seriously painful sideline tackle of McElroy that ends up also taking out Saban. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

sack316
11-26-2010, 10:17 PM
lol, well Saban didn't get a knockout blow unfortunately... but McCelroy sure as heck did!

Loving hearing my Bama friends talk about how we'll eventually have to vacate all these wins. I just keep reminding them that THEY are the experts on vacating wins /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

eg8r
11-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Ha ha, no kidding. Cam is just as crooked as his father so I guess time will tell.

eg8r

sack316
11-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Well whatever we did, it got us back to #1 in the BCS.

Now just get past SC one more time and it's off to the national title game! Of course, if we happen to lose then will come a firestorm of debate...

Sack

pooltchr
11-30-2010, 07:38 AM
I will be pulling for your guys....but I gotta admit that the debates in the past have usually been entertaining.

Steve

eg8r
11-30-2010, 07:47 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing you guys in the Nat'l Championship. I do root for Spurrier but in this case I will be going for Auburn. As far as being number one or number 2 all that matters is which color jersey you will be wearing in the final game. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

sack316
11-30-2010, 09:11 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be pulling for your guys....but I gotta admit that the debates in the past have usually been entertaining.

Steve </div></div>

Thanks Steve. It's kind of odd that this season playing for a conference championship can only serve to hurt us... wish there was some way to decline the invite to the Georgia Dome /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

But funny how midway through the season there was pretty well a consensus that a one loss SEC team would play in the Championship game over an undefeated Boise/TCU and a 1-loss from any other conference. At the time, the thinking was Alabama being that team. But now, it could still be a 1-loss SEC school, with the worst timing on when the loss may be... and that could be looked at entirely differently.

My hope is we just win and don't have to sweat it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack---- still bitter about being undefeated and left out in '04

sack316
11-30-2010, 09:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't mind seeing you guys in the Nat'l Championship. I do root for Spurrier but in this case I will be going for Auburn. As far as being number one or number 2 all that matters is which color jersey you will be wearing in the final game. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r </div></div>

Yeah, one or two doesn't matter in the end. But in the event we lose to Spurrier, falling one spot in the BCS would still be OK /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif If we were at #2, falling one spot would totally suck!

I just hope we win, so there is no question about the title game. If we lose, it'll be a total mess because 5 teams would have a legit claim to make the case for being #2.

Sack

sack316
12-01-2010, 12:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ha ha, no kidding. Cam is just as crooked as his father so I guess time will tell.

eg8r </div></div>

Time has told... and Cam is clear!

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/12/ncaa_rules_auburns_cam_newton.html
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The NCAA has has ruled Auburn quarterback Cam Newton is eligible to compete after looking into his recruitment at Auburn and Mississippi State.

There are no penalties against Auburn or Newton, and no wins are in jeopardy. </div></div>

Sack