PDA

View Full Version : Fran Crimi and Accustats

MikeM
09-03-2002, 01:18 PM
I just watched a copy of an Allison Fisher/Loree Jon Jones match from 1999 with our own Fran Crimi as guest commentatator. I thought you were excellent Fran. Your soft, smooth voice was a good counterpoint to Bill Incardona's. Are you on any other Accustat tapes?

MM

09-03-2002, 01:25 PM

09-03-2002, 01:44 PM
Hi Whitewolf!

Allison has this on her website. It doesn't provide a discrete, detailed description, but it does give some clues.

From: http://www.allisonfisher.com/ask_allison/index.html

"Q. Can you tell me why you pause for almost a full second before you begin the forward acceleration of your stroke and is it worthwhile to add this to my stroke?

A. That is to get my eyes focused on the object ball."

I would think that if she already had her eyes focused on the object ball, than her answer would have been different. Why would she need to get her eyes focused on the object ball if they already were?

Doctor_D
09-03-2002, 01:44 PM
Good afternoon:

Allison is always focused on the object ball as she deliveres her stroke. During the warm up strokes they switch back and forth between the cue ball and the object ball.

Dr. D.

09-03-2002, 01:57 PM

09-03-2002, 02:06 PM
Did you mean to say "cueball" or "object ball" in that last sentance? If you truly intended to say "cueball", then I would think that the statement at her website definately refutes that. If you meant to say "object ball", then I would say that there is some room in the interpretation.

09-03-2002, 03:45 PM
Mike, I have that tape as well and also enjoyed Fran's knowledgeable commentary. She and Billy made an interesting team. If you noticed during that match, you will see that Loree Jon failed to get a ball to a rail on a safety attempt. Allison did not realize it, and Loree Jon did not tell her. Billy picked up on it from the booth, but wasn't absolutely positive it was a foul, and Fran wasn't sure. Of course, we have the luxury of replaying the tape to see the obvious foul.

This is the only time I have ever seen Allison (who is normally always very involved in every aspect of the game when her opponent is at the table) fall asleep on the job and fail to pick up on an obvious foul by her opponent. If you watch closely you'll see that by LJ's body english immediately after the shot she knew it was a foul, but she didn't inform Allison of the foul - not that I think there's anything wrong with that. When playing Allison, you need all the breaks you can possibly get to have a chance at winning. It didn't matter, Allison won anyway by something like 9-2, only missing one or two shots for the entire match. - Chris in NC

Fran Crimi
09-03-2002, 07:01 PM
Thanks, Mike. I had fun doing it. Pat Fleming seemed pretty pleased with it as well. I did sit in on another match a year or two before that. It was a woman's 14.1 final with LJ and Ewa I think, but I didn't do much talking. Grady and Mary Guarino did most of the commentating and I yielded to them since they seemed to have a nice rapport going.

Thanks for the keychain. It's great.

Fran

MikeM
09-03-2002, 10:40 PM
You're welcome on both counts Fran and I'll try and find that tape.

MM

09-03-2002, 10:42 PM
Allison's eyes have been moving back and forth from cue ball to object ball to groove her stroke and on the last stroke she pauses to focus completely on the object ball prior to finishing the shot.