PDA

View Full Version : ARE THEY ALL INSANE?

LWW
11-26-2010, 04:08 AM
Only a group suffering from the mass dementia of uber-statism in combination with blind obedience to what they see as a demigod leader could subscribe to the following logic flow:

1 - Global warming is real.

2 - Since global warming is real, it is man made.

3 - Since global warming is real and man made, it is caused by excess carbon in the atmosphere.

4 - Since global warming is real and man made and caused by excess carbon in the atmosphere, the answer to the problem is a fleet of coal powered cars.

5 - Since global warming is real and man made and is caused by excess carbon in the atmosphere and the answer to the problem is a fleet of coal powered cars then increasing the amount of carbon in the atmosphere is a good thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The nation's fleet of over 100 coal plants is responsible for 57 percent of the electricity generated in the U.S., more than any other single electricity fuel source. ... Nevertheless, coal power plants are responsible for 93 percent of the sulfur dioxide and 80 percent of the nitrogen oxide emissions generated by the electric utility industry.

These emissions spawn the acid rain that is eating away red spruce forests in the Northeast and Appalachia, and rob previously pristine streams of brook trout and other fish species in the Adirondacks, upper Midwest and Rocky Mountains.

Coal emissions also cause urban smog, which has been linked to respiratory ailments, and coal-fired power plants also contribute to global climate change. Coal plants emit 73 percent of the carbon dioxide emitted into the atmosphere from electricity generators. <span style='font-size: 11pt'>By releasing the energy stored in coal, large quantities of carbon dioxide that have been stored in the coal for millions of years are released back into the atmosphere, increasing the threat of global warming.</span></div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">President Barack Obama’s administration has bought almost a fourth of the Ford Motor Co. and General Motors Co. hybrid vehicles sold since he took office, accelerating federal purchases as consumer demand wanes.

The U.S. General Services Administration, which runs the government fleet, bought at least 14,584 hybrid vehicles in the past two fiscal years, or about 10 percent of 145,473 vehicles the agency purchased in that period, according to sales data obtained by Bloomberg under a Freedom of Information Act request. In fiscal 2008, hybrids accounted for less than 1 percent of government purchases, the data showed.

The government is boosting investment in a technology that has failed to win broad acceptance after more than a decade in the marketplace. Consumer sales of hybrids are headed for their third consecutive yearly decline. Government agencies and businesses have said they also will purchase all-electric models being introduced by automakers including GM.</div></div>

OH DEAR! (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-11-23/obama-bolsters-u-s-hybrid-auto-sales-in-waning-consumer-market.html)

OH MY! (http://www.powerscorecard.org/tech_detail.cfm?resource_id=2)

Facts. They are such stubborn things.

LWW

Qtec
11-26-2010, 04:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 20pt'>Republicans Slam GOP’s Climate Change Denial As <u>‘Incomprehensible’ And ‘Embarrassing’</u></span>

Characterized as the moral issue of our time, climate change not only poses significant risks to the environment but represents an opportunity to adapt and re-energize the economy through investment in clean energy technology. As the National Academies of Science notes, “the U.S. should act now to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and develop a national strategy to adapt to the inevitable impacts of climate change.

Of the incoming freshmen, 36 of 85 in the House and 11 of 13 in the Senate have publicly questioned the science and <span style='font-size: 23pt'>“there are no freshman Republicans, in the House or Senate, who publicly accept the scientific consensus that greenhouse pollution is an immediate threat,”</span> Johnson found.

But <span style='font-size: 20pt'>this iron wall of denial </span>does not sit well with all conservatives. In a Washington Post op-ed yesterday, former Republican Rep. Sherwood Boehlert (NY) articulated his confusion as to <span style='font-size: 23pt'>why “so many Republican senators and representatives think they are right and the world’s top scientific academies and scientists are wrong.”</span> Allowing for debate over policy, Boehlert said he finds the GOP’s “dogged determination” to deny the actual science “incomprehensible”:

Watching the raft of newly elected GOP lawmakers converge on Washington, I couldn’t help thinking about an issue I hope our party will better address. I call on my fellow Republicans to open their minds to rethinking what has largely become our party’s line: denying that climate change and global warming are occurring and that they are largely due to human activities.[...]

Why do so many Republican senators and representatives think they are right and the world’s top scientific academies and scientists are wrong? I would like to be able to chalk it up to lack of information or misinformation.

I can understand arguments over proposed policy approaches to climate change. I served in Congress for 24 years. I know these are legitimate areas for debate.<span style='font-size: 20pt'> What I find incomprehensible is the dogged determination by some to discredit distinguished scientists and their findings.</span>[...]

There is a natural aversion to more government regulation. But that should be included in the debate about how to respond to climate change, not as an excuse to deny the problem’s existence. The current practice of disparaging the science and the scientists only clouds our understanding and delays a solution. </div></div>

link (http://thinkprogress.org/2010/11/20/republicans-climate-embarrassing/)

Most of these couldn't flip burgers.

Q

LWW
11-26-2010, 04:29 AM
The topic is whether or not coal powered cars make sense in solving a problem which ... by the very definition of the problem ... the Goremon theology demands would be made worse by the very existence of coal powered cars.

Did you have anything to say on the topic?

Do you even understand then topic?

Or, as I suspect, do you simply want to troll the discussion into the ditch so that your religion isn't exposed?

LWW

Qtec
11-26-2010, 04:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The topic is whether or not coal powered cars make sense in solving a problem which ... by the very definition of the problem ... the Goremon theology demands would be made worse by the very existence of coal powered cars.

Or, as I suspect, do you simply want to troll the discussion into the ditch so that your religion isn't exposed?

LWW </div></div>

Earth calling wingnut.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only a group suffering from the <u>mass dementia of uber-statism in combination with blind obedience</u> to what they see as a demigod leader could subscribe to the following logic flow:

<u>1 - Global warming is real.

2 - Since global warming is real, it is man made. </u></div></div>

You brought it up in your first sentence.

Q

LWW
11-26-2010, 05:32 AM
Thanks for confirming you do not comprehend the topic.

Now, to help you out:

1 - We both agree global warming has been occurring.

2 - You believe it is mainly man made.

3 - You believe carbon is the cause.

Now ... explain to me how a fleet of coal powered cars increasing the carbon output is going to reduce atmospheric carbon and thereby alleviate global warming?

I await your response.

LWW

LWW
11-26-2010, 06:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only a group suffering from the <u>mass dementia of uber-statism in combination with blind obedience</u> to what they see as a demigod leader could subscribe to the following logic flow:

<u>1 - Global warming is real.

2 - Since global warming is real, it is man made. </u></div></div>

You brought it up in your first sentence.

Q </div></div>

I missed the deeper meaning on my first read.

I never mentioned you as a member of "a group suffering from the <u>mass dementia of uber-statism in combination with blind obedience</u> to what they see as a demigod leader" ... but if you wish to confess I will accept said confession.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/lww/ONLINE%20ARGUMENTS/Snoopy.jpg

LWW

Stretch
11-26-2010, 06:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The topic is whether or not coal powered cars make sense in solving a problem which ... by the very definition of the problem ... the Goremon theology demands would be made worse by the very existence of coal powered cars.

LWW </div></div>

I get it, your peeve is with coal fired generating stations. I agree completely. Where we differ is with your blameing the end user. Maybe you should lead by example and do away with your coal fired computor. St.

pooltchr
11-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Good point, ST. Personally, I prefer my nuclear powered computer!

I wish they would make more of them, and get cut down on the coal powered computers.

Steve

LWW
11-26-2010, 12:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stretch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The topic is whether or not coal powered cars make sense in solving a problem which ... by the very definition of the problem ... the Goremon theology demands would be made worse by the very existence of coal powered cars.

LWW </div></div>

I get it, your peeve is with coal fired generating stations. I agree completely. Where we differ is with your blameing the end user. Maybe you should lead by example and do away with your coal fired computor. St. </div></div>

If I didn't live in a land with a leftist government I would have a nuclear powered computer and I might even buy a nuclear powered car.

Sadly ... in America the left had their knickers in a wad ever since the movie "CHINA SYNDROME" and convinced lawmakers that we can't possibly use nuclear electricity.

Sadly ... in America the left had their knickers in a wad since the TVA was introduced and convinced lawmakers that we can't have hydroelectric power because we might kill a fish.

Sadly ... in America the left had their knickers in a wad since solar power became remotely feasible and convinced lawmakers we shouldn't do that because we might disturb the desert weasel.

Sadly ... in America the left had their knickers in a wad since the 1970's over the US producing it's own oil and convinced lawmakers that being dependent on terror states for our energy is a good thing.

Sadly ... in America the left had their knickers in a wad since the 1990's over wind power and convinced lawmakers that we shouldn't do it because we might kill a bird.

And now ... in the ultimate in stupidity ... they have convinced lawmakers that global warming is real, that the cause is mankind, that the culprit is carbon, and that the solution is coal powered cars increasing the carbon in the air which they claim causes the problem in the first place.

Archie Bunker was right ... it's time to hang a sign on the staue of liberty which reads "CLOSED - OWNERS GONE NUTS"

So here I sit at a coal powered computer ... thanks to the likes of Al, dear leader, Aitch, Gee, Woofie, and yourself ... explaining the insanity of your illogic to you. Again.

And, not that you will get it, I'm not blaming the end user. I'm blaming the morons who come up with this idiocy.

LWW