PDA

View Full Version : Yankees looting the Cubs

eg8r
11-29-2010, 12:22 PM
OK, so I see the Yankees have stolen the Cubs pitching coach. I am wondering how they feel this guy is any better than what they already had. But one part confuses me...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In a surprise announcement, the New York Yankees hired Larry Rothschild, the Chicago Cubs pitching coach for the past nine seasons, to succeed Dave Eiland as pitching coach.

"Larry brings a wealth of invaluable experience to our team and to our pitching staff," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "He's a championship pitching coach, and I'm excited to add Larry's abilities to our staff. He is above all else an excellent teacher, who brings a professional attitude and a keen sense of preparation to his craft. I'm very much looking forward to working with him moving forward."

</div></div>What the heck are they talking about? A championship pitching coach? What championship has he been part of as a coach? He coached the Devil Rays and the Cubs. Now, no dig on the Cubs fans (they did lead the league in strikeouts all 9 years) but what exactly did he do for them?

Dave Eiland was a championship pitching coach. I don't mind change and I don't think this was necessarily a bad change since there are some sore spots on the Yankees roster but why over-inflate in the incoming guy to a status he has not achieved when you are letting go of the guy that already earned that same status?

eg8r

sack316
11-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Apologies in advance for the burned out young arms in your rotation!

If they wanted to make a splash, they shoulda nabbed Leo Mazzone, or Darren Balsley.

Sack

eg8r
11-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Talk about burned out arms, I was reading about the long toss program that most clubs did away with in the early 90s. Well it seems like all the great pitchers right now throw long toss upwards of 250 to 300 feet every day (as long as their arms are ok). Nolan Ryan said there will be no more babying (sp?) the pitchers any more. No more inning counts etc. Tim Lincecum abandoned long toss in later July and his August numbers were atrocious. He went back to it and all was well in Sept-Oct and post season.

Pretty interesting.

eg8r

LWW
11-29-2010, 04:19 PM
1 - The NYY didn't "STEAL" anything, they hired an employee.

2 - Rothschild was bullpen coach for the 1990 WS champion Cincinnapolis Reds, and had possibly the greatest bullpen of all time with Dibble, Myers, and Charlton AKA the "NASTY BOYS."

3 - Rothschild was a pitching instructor for the Atlanta Braves in the mid 1990's ... and that was arguably the best pitching staff over a series of years that the game has ever seen.

4 - Rothschild was pitching coach for the Florida Marlins when they won the WS in 1997.

5 - Rothschild was pitching coach for the Chicago Baby Bears during their division championship seasons of 2003/2007/2008.

So, let's review ... his staff won a WS in 1990 with a team that hadn't made the playoffs in 14 years. His staff won a WS in 1997 with a team that had never made the playoffs at all. His teams won 3 division titles with Chicago ... a team that had finished first exactly twice since 1945 before he arrived. Every place he has went they had a history of losing before his arrival ... and they all became either champions or championship contenders.

Whom would you see as available and more qualified?

LWW

sack316
11-29-2010, 05:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talk about burned out arms, I was reading about the long toss program that most clubs did away with in the early 90s. Well it seems like all the great pitchers right now throw long toss upwards of 250 to 300 feet every day (as long as their arms are ok). Nolan Ryan said there will be no more babying (sp?) the pitchers any more. No more inning counts etc. Tim Lincecum abandoned long toss in later July and his August numbers were atrocious. He went back to it and all was well in Sept-Oct and post season.

Pretty interesting.

eg8r </div></div>

Long toss works amazingly well for arm conditioning and strength. It did wonders for me personally. Only downside is that if there is an arm injury/problems it can do further damage, or if throwing mechanics are off it can be bad. But done properly it's probably the best tool there is.

Sack

eg8r
11-30-2010, 07:28 AM
That is what this article was about but for some reason the majority of major league clubs disagree. It is making a comeback though.

eg8r

eg8r
11-30-2010, 07:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 - The NYY didn't "STEAL" anything, they hired an employee.

</div></div>LOL, call it whatever makes your heart warm.

The rest is pretty interesting. Hopefully he has some success turning around Burnette and Chamberlain because both their heads should be on the trading block soon if they don't turn things around.

eg8r

sack316
11-30-2010, 08:33 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is what this article was about but for some reason the majority of major league clubs disagree. It is making a comeback though.

eg8r </div></div>

Sounds like a good article. I tend to agree with what Nolan said about babying. Think about what workhorses pitchers were back in olden times, and think about how coddled they are now. I'd be interested to see a study on serious arm injuries comparing pitchers through generations. I could well be wrong, but I'd dare say pitchers in the older eras were less injury prone because they were conditioned to throw more often.

Cy Young would laugh his butt off knowing a quality starter today puts in 6-7 innings every 5-6 days. And would probably do a facepalm when we get amazed about an "ironman" pitcher "heroically" pitching on 3 days rest during a late season pennant race/playoffs /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack

eg8r
11-30-2010, 01:22 PM
LOL, you are probably right. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

sack316
11-30-2010, 03:28 PM
I wonder what those old timers would think? Knowing they could "work" less while making more in one season than they ever could dream of making in a whole career.

Sack