PDA

View Full Version : Wait till the ChiSox see what they bought up close

LWW
12-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Adam Dunn's career numbers for a 162 game season average out 40 home runs and a comparatively paltry 98 ribeyes. IOW over 40% of his RBI's are m batting in himself, which is indicative of a non clutch hitter which Dunn is.

Although he draws 111 walks per 162 games, he whiffs an astounding 183 times for the same full season. IOW ... 35% of his plate appearances he doesn't even put the ball in play ... which is why the RBI total is anemic for a 40 HR a year guy. He has played 3 entire seasons without a sacrifice of any kind to advance the runner, and has averaged only 3 sacrifice hits of any kind per 162 seasons. A cleanup hitter who can't hit a fly ball with a man on third and less than 2 outs more often than once every 2 months is a rally killer.

Although he is quite fast for a big man he is at best an average base runner.

Defensively he is best described as cracker jack fielder ... a surprise in every play. He averages 1 errors per 162 games. Although his speed gives him decent range, he has poor positioning ... he is inattentive to the game situation ... has a penchant for using the cannon of an arm that he possesses to consistently throw to the wrong base ... and his lack of hustle afield in combination with his refusal to ever have a dirty uniform from diving are absolutely maddening to watch.

In addition he has throughout his career been nearly un-coachable, lazy, and a bad attitude in the clubhouse.

Now the good part ... he has Mark McGwire type power. He is a legitimate 5 tool superstar if you can ever get him motivated to play up to his truly awesome potential.

The Reds let him go for nothing just to rid the clubhouse of him despite staggering home run numbers.

I hope they find a way to get out of him what he has so far refused to get out of himself.

LWW

sack316
12-04-2010, 07:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> which is indicative of a non clutch hitter which Dunn is.

</div></div>

I was prepared to challenge that statement, until I looked at the numbers, and you are indeed correct:

Situational batting average in 2010:
Bases Empty .281
Runners On .236
RISP .217
RISP w/2 Outs .169
Bases Loaded .375

Seems he does OK with em loaded up... but otherwise not too impressive. His career numbers are pretty well the same, also.

Sack

LWW
12-05-2010, 05:37 AM
You will find the bases loaded to be a symptom of Dunn's astounding number in blowout games.

IOW ... in games where the run differential is 5 or more runs he is Babe Ruth reincarnate.

OTOH ... with runners on second and third with 2 outs and down a run he's Bob Euker.

The amazingly frustrating thing is that they play the shift on him as drastically as anyone I've ever seen it against ... as strong as he is it should be simple to just dump the ball into short left and win the game. Especially with the third baseman playing to the right of where the shortstop would usually play.

That being said, he refuses to do anything but pull the ball.

Here's hoping Ozzie can make a complete ballplayer out of him.

LWW

sack316
12-05-2010, 08:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The amazingly frustrating thing is that they play the shift on him as drastically as anyone I've ever seen it against ... as strong as he is it should be simple to just dump the ball into short left and win the game. Especially with the third baseman playing to the right of where the shortstop would usually play.

That being said, he refuses to do anything but pull the ball.

</div></div>

That's the difference between being a pure slugger and a true hitter.

I'm reminded of a story I heard once at a camp where I was lucky enough to be under the knowledge of some pretty big coaches. It was around my Senior year in high school, and after some very serious working out the last few years I was actually becoming somewhat of a power hitter. Some coaches had worked with me before, and noticed I was swinging for the fences more often... but making "good" contact and hitting the ball where it was pitched less frequently. Sure I was clearing the fence far more often than I would have before.... but my hitting was actually worse, in their opinion.

They told me a story about Ty Cobb. Who didn't understand the fascination with home runs, but in a fit of frustration one day hit two homers in a game just to show he could. He only hit 117 in his long 24 year career... he probably coulda been a 400-500 homerun hitter if he had wanted to. Guess he decided hitting .366 over his career was more important.

I'd take a Ty Cobb over an Adam Dunn any day.

Sack

LWW
12-05-2010, 09:25 AM
I'd take a Johnny Gomes and $12M extra payroll anyday.

LWW

LWW
05-07-2011, 03:33 AM
Batting .149 with the season 20% over.

LWW
08-02-2011, 02:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Batting .149 with the season 20% over. </div></div>

He has worked his average all the way up to .162 ... with 137 strikeouts in 300 or so at bats.

Possibly the biggest free agent bust of all time.

LWW
10-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Well ... one year through a 4 yr/$56M mistake here are the up to date results:

.159 batting average ... 658th place, just behind Cole Hamels

11 home runs ... tied for 147th place, 3 less than 40 year old Jorge Posada, 2 behind 40 year old Jason Giambi.

42 runs batted in ... tied for 195th place, 1 behind part time outfielder Jonny Gomes.

Runs scored ... 36, tied for 242nd.

Triples ... zero.

Stolen bases ... zero, although he was caught stealing once.

He did however have the worst fielding percentage of any major league first baseman playing more than 25 games at the position.

He also managed to strike out 177 times in 415 at bats.