PDA

View Full Version : Interesting...or not

mstng81
12-07-2010, 05:07 PM
My local pool league started around two months ago. I was playing really well; not taking shots that would give up the game if I missed, playing good defense. My record two weeks ago was 18-2, one of those losses being a scratch on the 8. Now my record is 19-9.

Usually, this would be enough to make me want to break my cue over my knee and stay home. (I would never do that, but you get what I'm saying.) Instead, I feel okay about it. Frustrated, sure, but there isn't a shot in those 7 games I've lost in the last couple of weeks I would take back. My stroke is as good as it's ever been, maybe better. I'm still shooting well, it's just that the 'pool gods' have deemed it necessary to put me back in my place through weird rolls or bad kisses.

I guess the question is whether or not this has happened to anybody else. I wouldn't say I've been out-shot in any of those games, and I'm usually pretty honest with myself about that stuff. Has anybody else ever had a stack of 'those games' pile up on them like that?

Rich R.
12-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I can't quote it exactly but, as Fast Eddy said to Vincent, the balls roll funny for every one.

mstng81
12-07-2010, 06:06 PM
I remember that line. That's part of the reason I'm not so angry about the whole thing. I wouldn't mind it at all if the losses were seperated by a couple of wins but to have them all come back to back like that sticks with me a little.

eg8r
12-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Yes it has happened to me quite a bit and I think this is generally why they say the better player will win out in a long match rather than the gaurantee it in short matches. Everyone goes through stretches where things are not going well but eventually they will pull out of it. If you were playing above your level in the beginning you will notice over time you will come back to your normal level, likewise if right now you are playing below your level you will see your scores get better in time.

eg8r <~~~~really thinking about taking the plunge and playing in a league

Bambu
12-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Losing those types of matches are no big deal to me. I can get frustrated by bad rolls like anyone else, but nothing really lingers for long. The first few times are tough to swallow, but eventually you realize that bad luck is just part of the game. If I can walk out of a room feeling I shot well, I am happy enough.

What bothers me alot more are the shots I know I should have made, but didnt.

JoeW
12-07-2010, 08:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Losing those types of matches are no big deal to me. I can get frustrated by bad rolls like anyone else, but nothing really lingers for long. The first few times are tough to swallow, but eventually you realize that bad luck is just part of the game. If I can walk out of a room feeling I shot well, I am happy enough.

What bothers me alot more are the shots I know I should have made, but didnt. </div></div>

I'll second that. Seems to me I usually know when it was bad rolls or bad playing on my part. Then when I think about it some more I can often figure out what I did wrong. Sometimes it takes much practice to try and fix my own short comings. But that is what makes it a great sport

cushioncrawler
12-08-2010, 06:53 AM
Joe -- If u toss a coin for a few minutes u will get 8 heads (or 8 tails) in "a row" sooner than u might think.
In pool it iz probly even sooner -- koz failure attracts failure.
But it iz uzually mainly simple probability anyhow.

My mate woz lamenting to me that he had lost a tournament final 8-0. And thats what i told him. That if he played snooker gainst hizself he wouldnt take very long to win (or looz) 8 games straight -- i dont know the math but my trials suggest 100 games (or coin tosses) would be needed for an even money bet.

At that time he woz the current world IBSF snooker champ -- and the guy that beat him iz currently the World Snooker Champ.
mac.

Fran Crimi
12-08-2010, 08:07 AM
I hated probability and statistics in college so I'm not a good one to say whether or not it was just the luck factor catching up, but if I were you, I'd spend some time scrutinizing my game a bit. You may be missing something that's creeping into your game that you don't realize. Sometimes you can change things around by hitting the practice tables and just playing alone for some hours. You may even unconsciously fix what you don't realize has been throwing you off.

Good luck. I know it's frustrating. I'm going through a little of that myself right now and am just getting ready to hit the practice tables to see if I can work out some kinks --- consciously or unconsciously.

pooltchr
12-08-2010, 05:48 PM
It has happened to all of us at one time or another.
Sometimes you play poorly and lose, and sometimes you play poorly and still manage to get away with one.
On the other hand, you can play very well, and still come up short.
I tend to get down on myself if I did not play up to my expectations, regardless of whether I win or lose.

Try not to worry about winning or losing, and focus on pplaying your best. If you do that, the wins will come your way, and when the losses happen, just give a heartfelt congratulations to your opponent. After all, if you were playing well and lost, your opponent must have <u>really</u> been playing great! Right???

Steve

Rich R.
12-09-2010, 06:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't quote it exactly but, as Fast Eddy said to Vincent, the balls roll funny for every one. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mstng81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember that line. That's part of the reason I'm not so angry about the whole thing. I wouldn't mind it at all if the losses were seperated by a couple of wins but to have them all come back to back like that sticks with me a little. </div></div>

Stuff happens!
I agree with Fran, you may have developed some hitch in your game but, on the other hand, sometimes you just have a run of bad luck.

For example: I play in a league and last session, my team finished first in our division. This session, we are dead last. We are all playing the same but we have been having the worst luck. In one match, I counted five times in a row where the opponent missed and the cue ball rolled up behind something resulting in a safety against our player. Five in a row!!! What are the odds. Our entire team has had that type of bad luck all session.

This stuff happens sometimes and you just have to work hard to play better than ever and get through it.

dg-in-centralpa
12-09-2010, 09:53 AM
This happened to me on Tuesday. I played great in practice but during my first match, my opponent ran 5 balls and left me no shot. He didn't try to play safe but it ended up that way. All my balls on the table and I had no shot, not even a good safety. I lost that game. Some days the pool gods are with you, and some days you pi$$ them off. I eventually got on their good side as I won my next game.

DG

cushioncrawler
12-09-2010, 02:47 PM
I had a think and i reckon that if u play 128 frames (against yourself) the odds of u having 8 straight losses iz 50/50.
And 8 straight losses or wins iz 50/50 for 64 frames.
Sounds wrong -- praps iz wrong -- my math aint good.
mac.

Soflasnapper
12-14-2010, 06:11 PM
I had a match in 8-ball last season where I was left without a decent shot on my last ball (the opponent was on the 8). I went for a shot, missed it (not close), and the cue ball ended up behind my object ball and hooked him on his 8.

He kicked and made a legal hit, left me no decent shot, and then the whole scenario repeated itself (I got safe behind my own ball after a fairly wild shot attempt).

Clean living will do that!

bradb
12-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Dropping a few games in pool when you have bad luck is nothing.... try losing on the river after drawing a nut flush and the other guy draws runner, runner, runner 7's for 4 of a kind!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

Brad

JJFSTAR
12-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Yea it happens to everyone eventually if you play this game long enough you will swear the pool gods are out to get you someday and you will shoot like you made a deal with the devil the next month. Here are couple of funny stories I was playing a guy that I know to be about my equal in 14.1 for $1 a ball. Every shot he took he got buried, stuck or scratched; I ended up winning the game 125-49 against a player about my strength.

This happened just this last season. I was playing in section 1 “super section” so we are all break and run players. We were AT THEIR HOME BAR. Every single roll went behind one of our balls or funny for them; we won 20-5 against 50 year old guys with $1000 sticks.

I don’t remember the last time it happened to me specifically (probably some kind of natural mental block to protect myself LOL) but I know I have had my share of really bad nights. Don’t worry it all turns around eventually.

Rich R.
12-17-2010, 08:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea it happens to everyone eventually if you play this game long enough you will swear the pool gods are out to get you someday and you will shoot like you made a deal with the devil the next month. Here are couple of funny stories I was playing a guy that I know to be about my equal in 14.1 for $1 a ball. Every shot he took he got buried, stuck or scratched; I ended up winning the game 125-49 against a player about my strength.

This happened just this last season. I was playing in section 1 “super section” so we are all break and run players. We were AT THEIR HOME BAR. Every single roll went behind one of our balls or funny for them; we won 20-5 against 50 year old guys with $1000 sticks.

I don’t remember the last time it happened to me specifically (probably some kind of natural mental block to protect myself LOL) but I know I have had my share of really bad nights. Don’t worry it all turns around eventually.
</div></div>
The price of a players cue doesn't even come into the equation. Some of us just like to look good while we are losing. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

mstng81
01-28-2011, 02:33 PM
UPDATE:

I never really got back to shooting as well as I did in the beginning of the season (in my mind, anyway) but I managed to finish out with a record of 40-16. Second best in the league, one game out of first. That's two games better than what I did last year when I finished 5th.

Thanks for all the support and advice and what-not. Looking back now, I see games I should have won and games I shouldn't have. The universe tends to balance itself out eventually I guess. I also think I lost my focus at the table for a while, but that may have been more a result of the losing streak than not taking my opponents and shots seriously.