PDA

View Full Version : The deal is not yet done.

Qtec
12-08-2010, 07:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">House Democrats Rip Obama's Tax Cut Deal

WASHINGTON -- House Democrats gathered in the Capitol Tuesday evening to debate the tax-cut deal President Barack Obama struck with Republicans, but as it turned out, they were already in agreement to an extent rarely seen on the left side of the lower chamber.

<u>Across the board, Democrats who attended the meeting said, Obama's deal was deemed too costly, too tilted toward the rich and too much of a cave to Republicans.
</u>
"The wealthiest few in the country come out like gangbusters," said Rep. Earl Pomeroy (D-N.D.), a Blue Dog who said he would oppose the deal. Many other Blue Dogs, Pomeroy said, would also vote down the package, on the grounds that it adds heavily to the debt. "My sense is that it would not carry most of the blue dog members, but that's just my sense. I haven't seen a poll. I was in a discussion with the Blue Dogs this afternoon about it."

Even if every House Republican signs on, Obama needs 39 Democrats to vote to extend the tax cuts for the wealthy. "I don't think the president should count on Democratic votes to get this passed," Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.) said.

Told that Obama had compared liberal unrest with the deal with progressive anger at the dropping of the public health insurance option, Weiner said he also saw a similarity. "If you don't fight for something, you can't expect to get it," he said.

"I suspect he'd get 39 Democratic votes if our leadership brings it to the floor, which is not certain," said one member who was in the room. </div></div>

Yeah.

Q

llotter
12-08-2010, 07:37 AM
In addition, the conservatives also think this deal stinks because it sinks us still deeper in debt, the cause of our problems. Hopefully, some significant spending cuts will be added to this deal in order that it doesn't worsen our out of control debt.

eg8r
12-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Yep, now the House Democrats are holding ALL Americans hostage.

eg8r

Deeman3
12-08-2010, 08:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In addition, the conservatives also think this deal stinks because it sinks us still deeper in debt, the cause of our problems. Hopefully, some significant spending cuts will be added to this deal in order that it doesn't worsen our out of control debt. </div></div>

Yes, and Santa is real! The Tea Party may have already forgotten why they were sent to Washington! Obama has shown "leadership" by running from his own debt commission while Pelosi has bitch slapped it and most Republicans are ignoring it altogether.

There is no leadership there.

llotter
12-08-2010, 09:58 AM
There is ample reason to get cynical but cynicism is a real dead-ender. DeMint is going to filibuster and Bachmann is organizing the Tea Partiers to go against it so I don't think all of them have forgotten why they were sent to Washington.

eg8r
12-08-2010, 10:19 AM
No leadership right now, I agree. Hopefully the new guys will make a positive change starting in January.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
12-08-2010, 10:33 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In addition, the conservatives also think this deal stinks because it sinks us still deeper in debt, the cause of our problems. Hopefully, some significant spending cuts will be added to this deal in order that it doesn't worsen our out of control debt. </div></div>

Since when do Repiglican conservatards ever balance spending money they don't have, with spending cuts? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Gayle in MD
12-08-2010, 10:34 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, now the House Democrats are holding ALL Americans hostage.

eg8r </div></div>

How do you figure that? Nothing has passed.

eg8r
12-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Nothing can be passed because the House dems are balking at the bill. They don't like the fact that Obama agreed to the Rep demands and holding up the process.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
12-08-2010, 01:32 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing can be passed because the House dems are balking at the bill. They don't like the fact that Obama agreed to the Rep demands and holding up the process.

eg8r </div></div>

So discussing among one another how they feel about the President's request, to pass it, and what they will decide to do with one another, is holding Americans hostage?

LMAO. You're really a piece of work, Ed.

eg8r
12-08-2010, 02:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So discussing among one another how they feel about the President's request, to pass it, and what they will decide to do with one another, is holding Americans hostage?

</div></div>That is what you called it when the Reps were doing the same thing.

eg8r

sack316
12-08-2010, 04:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So discussing among one another how they feel about the President's request, to pass it, and what they will decide to do with one another, is holding Americans hostage?

</div></div>That is what you called it when the Reps were doing the same thing.

eg8r </div></div>

You're forgetting one key element ed...

Sack

LWW
12-08-2010, 04:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, now the House Democrats are holding ALL Americans hostage.

eg8r </div></div>

How do you figure that? Nothing has passed. </div></div>

I think that was his point.

LWW