PDA

View Full Version : Cricket update

eg8r
12-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Well, I had my first practice and left very exhausted. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I had a blast. We started out "bowling" underhanded which I found discouraging and boring. The goal was to not allow too much bounce so that the batter could not get a good hit. I absolutely hated that part. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I played baseball for about 15 years including little league and high school and had to throw away everything I knew to sound fundamentals as a batter. Even if the pitch was poor if it remotely got close to the ricket I had to swing. It was crazy.

When we switched to overhand bowling it was a completely different story. It took about 50 or 60 swings for me to finally get in a groove and "see" the ball. These guys are pretty darn good at getting the ball to bounce nearly at my feet and defending against it took quite some time to get any good. I am not hitting the ball as hard as I would like but at least I am defending my ricket.

On to the running, whew that is crazy. In baseball if you hit a double with a chance of getting thrown out you are generally panting a good bit after running so hard. No problem though because you get to sit at the bag while the next guy got a chance to hit. Well that is not always the case in cricket. 3 times in a row I hit the ball to an area that allowed me to run to the other ricket and back. This meant I had to hit and run 3 doubles in a row. By the time I got back to hit again I was so exhausted I could hardly swing at the next pitch. It hit the ricket and I was glad to take a seat. We won our first game 23 to 18. I only played part of the second game but heard from teh rest that we won again.

We have practice on Saturday morning and then an entire afternoon on Sunday playing against the people in the neighborhood where we practiced. It is our church vs the neighborhood. We are going to get slaughtered and learned last night that two people in the neighborhood play professionally. Not too bad. I sure hope they are not pitching. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Deeman3
12-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Ed,

I was going through stuff and found that cricket ball, brand new, from my time in India.

If you want it, PM me your mailing address.

eg8r
12-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Very cool. Thanks.

eg8r

cushioncrawler
12-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Pitching (pitcher) iz called bowling (bowler) -- and a throwing aktion iz illegal of course (must hav/keep arm straight).
But fast bowlers kan get 92mph.

Were the wickets grass or concrete or malthoid or coir????
mac.

eg8r
12-10-2010, 01:18 PM
LOL, I don't know. I will find out this weekend when we play again.

eg8r

cushioncrawler
12-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Handy hint -- wear a box to protekt your nuts -- and a Bible praps over the box -- no, better still, a Dicktionary.
mac.