PDA

View Full Version : Phillies win 2011 World Series...

sack316
12-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Signed Cliff Lee today, according to reports.

A rotation with Halladay, Hamels, Oswalt, and Lee? That's just sick.

Sack

LWW
12-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Oswalt is 33 with health issues and back to back off years, although he did close strong with Philly.

Hamels is 36-32 the last 3 years with a great team behind him.

Halladay is 151-69 over the last 8 years and is a horse.

Lee is a big addition, but the Phils are still a two horse staff.

They will likely make the playoffs again, but it's their starting lineup which will do the job over a long season.

Predicting a WS winner this early is dicey at best ... but 2 horse staffs generally do play deep into the playoffs.

LWW

sack316
12-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Still a lot of moves to be made, but as of right now this is the best rotation out there. If they stay healthy (in pitching and the big bats) I can see them winning 110 games.

But then again that's the beauty of baseball, you never really know! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

eg8r
12-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Man, I sure wish Lee was a bit more greedy. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Oh well, we got Rothschild so maybe he can do something with Burnett. The good thing is that Lee is no longer in the American League. Provided the Phillies and Yankees go all the way we only have to worry about them one game each maybe a couple for two games.

eg8r

eg8r
12-14-2010, 08:20 PM
I sure hope they play like the early Miami Heat and not this resurgent Miami Heat.

eg8r

eg8r
12-14-2010, 08:21 PM
No matter what moves happen between now and Spring Training, or the July trading deadline...If the Phillies pitchers stay healthy and play to their own average they will be the best rotation in the Majors in a long time.

eg8r

sack316
12-14-2010, 09:57 PM
yeah. Probably the best I can think of since the Braves heyday. Which I suppose puts my World Series Champ prediction in serious jeopardy! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack

LWW
12-15-2010, 03:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still a lot of moves to be made, but as of right now this is the best rotation out there. If they stay healthy (in pitching and the big bats) I can see them winning 110 games.

But then again that's the beauty of baseball, you never really know! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack </div></div>

IMHO 110 wins is going to require career years from nearly the entire team.

As to the best rotation out there ... I don't know. The Giants starters are pretty tough. On long term potential, I'm a believer in the Reds rotation of:

Arroyo 34
Cueto 25
Leake 23
Bailey 24
Volquez 27
Chapman 23
Wood 24
LeCure 26
Maloney 26

They can't all start and won't all pan out obviously, but with a staff 9 deep in at least strong potential, it also gives the Reds plenty of trade bait.

LWW

LWW
12-15-2010, 03:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, I sure wish Lee was a bit more greedy. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Oh well, we got Rothschild so maybe he can do something with Burnett. The good thing is that Lee is no longer in the American League. Provided the Phillies and Yankees go all the way we only have to worry about them one game each maybe a couple for two games.

eg8r </div></div>

Rothschild should take that staff to the next level within a year or two.

LWW

eg8r
12-15-2010, 07:49 AM
That would definitely be a good thing. They definitely have a ton of potential.

eg8r

eg8r
12-15-2010, 07:51 AM
LOL, no kidding. Mike and Mike yesterday were talking about an Orioles staff that had four 20 game winners which is pretty darn impressive. I thought the Yankees were going to have three 20 game winners last year but the rug was pulled out from under them. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Sorry Pettite. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

eg8r

sack316
12-15-2010, 08:54 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, no kidding. Mike and Mike yesterday were talking about an Orioles staff that had four 20 game winners which is pretty darn impressive. I thought the Yankees were going to have three 20 game winners last year but the rug was pulled out from under them. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Sorry Pettite. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

eg8r </div></div>

The 20 game mark is getting to be more and more of a magic number, will be hard to ever see a team with 3 of them again. Pitchers get to skip a turn in the rotation for cutting themselves shaving these days, plus most aren't left in games beyond the first sign of trouble anymore. Tied 3-3 in the 6th and walk a man? Eh, you're getting pulled (not always, but that seems to be the case quite often these days).

Sack

eg8r
12-15-2010, 08:57 AM
I agree. The Yankees had a shot last year but Pettite got hurt and Hughes slow down a bit. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif There is a good chance for the Phillies but now they are trying to trade away all their bats I hope they don't get stuck in the same situation Lee had in Seattle last year.

eg8r

sack316
12-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Yeah the Giants do have a solid rotation.

Also your Reds do have a lot of nice young arms over there. They really surprised me last year, as I thought they were still a season or two away from blossoming as a team. I was actually surprised to see that Vegas still has the Cardinals as the favorite out of the division after last season.

Speaking of that, the Phils were 5-1 favorites on winning the world Series before the signing of Lee. After, the odds were cut in half, 5-2! I'm not sure one man can make THAT much of a difference in baseball, I'd personally drop it to about 4-1 or so.

Sack

LWW
12-15-2010, 05:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree. The Yankees had a shot last year but Pettite got hurt and Hughes slow down a bit. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif There is a good chance for the Phillies but now they are trying to trade away all their bats I hope they don't get stuck in the same situation Lee had in Seattle last year.

eg8r </div></div>

The odds of the Phillies having three 20 game winners next year is extremely close to 0%.

LWW

eg8r
12-15-2010, 08:06 PM
LOL, their odds are further away from zero than any other team, except for the fact that they seem to be trading away all their bats.

eg8r