PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Christmas desserts

eg8r
12-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Mine are the peanut butter cookies with hershey kiss in the middle. What are yours? Are there any special desserts reserved for Christmas time only like pumpkin pie is for Thanksgiving?

eg8r

sack316
12-15-2010, 03:03 PM
those cookies are a normal b-day treat for me from my Mom /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I love 'em too!

We also cheat, and do pumpkin pie again at Christmas, along with a multitude of of assorted traditional cookies and treats

Sack

hondo
12-15-2010, 03:24 PM
The hood I grew up in was predominately Italian.
I was the paperboy there for 8 years.

They would give me these wonderful Italian pastries as a Christmas bonus.
Some were like fritis; some were these waffle-looking things.

All were kinda weird, never real sweet, but delicious.
Some of the old Italian ladies knew exactly when their paper would come and give me the pastries hot out of the oven.

pooltchr
12-15-2010, 07:08 PM
My mom used to make homemade coffee cakes at Christmas...I remember her putting a bowl of dough on top of the floor register to make it rise, and the smell of the cinnamon drifting out of the kitchen when they were in the oven.

Loaded with cherrys and crushed nuts, that was always the special breakfast when we were opening gifts on Christmas morning.

Steve

eg8r
12-15-2010, 08:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some were like fritis; some were these waffle-looking things.

</div></div>Part of my family is from Austria and this sounds like one of their desserts. It is a waffle-type cookie with confectioner sugar sprinkled on top. I have never liked them but my wife absolutely loves them. We do not exchange presents with the adults in my family so my wife asks my mother for a batch of cookies to make up for it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Hot pastries sound great.

eg8r

eg8r
12-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Wow that sounds pretty darn good.

eg8r

eg8r
12-15-2010, 08:21 PM
I see those platters of cookies at the grocery store but I have always wondered what other people do in other parts of the country or world. I have a niece that is 12 and she scours youtube looking for videos of baking and I would like to come up with some neat ideas for her to try.

If anyone has some good recipes and don't mind sharing please let me know.

eg8r

pooltchr
12-16-2010, 08:08 AM
I'll see if Mom still has that one. It's a lot of work, because it uses yeast and you have to let it rise a couple of times, but it's worth it!!!!!

Steve