PDA

View Full Version : Bravo! Stem Cell Transplant May Cure Aids!

Gayle in MD
12-15-2010, 01:48 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/14/hiv-cure-berlin-patient_n_796521.html

On the heels of World AIDS Day comes a stunning medical breakthrough: Doctors believe an HIV-positive man who underwent a stem cell transplant has been cured as a result of the procedure.

Timothy Ray Brown, also known as the "Berlin Patient," received the transplant in 2007 as part of a lengthy treatment course for leukemia. His doctors recently published a report in the journal Blood affirming that the results of extensive testing "strongly suggest that cure of HIV infection has been achieved."

Brown's case paves a path for constructing a permanent cure for HIV through genetically-engineered stem cells.

Last week, Time named another AIDS-related discovery to its list of the Top 10 Medical Breakthroughs of 2010. Recent studies show that healthy individuals who take antiretrovirals, medicine commonly prescribed for treating HIV, can reduce their risk of contracting the disease by up to 73 percent.

While these developments by no means prove a cure for the virus has been found, they can certainly provide hope for the more than 33 million people living with HIV worldwide. Alongside such findings, global efforts to combat the epidemic have accelerated as of late, with new initiatives emerging in the Philippines and South Africa this week.

sack316
12-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Very positive news! I know there was a clinical trial for this that began in 2009, good to see results coming out of it with much potential!

Sack

Gayle in MD
12-16-2010, 08:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very positive news! I know there was a clinical trial for this that began in 2009, good to see results coming out of it with much potential!

Sack </div></div>

Yes, it is great news. Imagine what this could mean in many third world countries, to those suffering from such a horrible disease, so many women, who have been raped, and then their children, born with AIDS.

It is truly great news for the world.

G.

sack316
12-16-2010, 10:42 AM
I wonder what percentage of the population has the CCR5(delta)32/(delta)32 stem cells in their marrow?

Sack

Gayle in MD
12-16-2010, 10:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder what percentage of the population has the CCR5(delta)32/(delta)32 stem cells in their marrow?

Sack </div></div>

I don't know, but I know that only women have the stem cells which can grow actual human organs, even the heart, they are saying at the present.

There is so much progress coming, from stem cell research, it's truly amazing!

G.

sack316
12-16-2010, 11:10 AM
I'll have to research and learn a little more on this. But what I do like about the article here is that it is the non-controversial stem cell research... so it is win-win as far as pressing forward on it. It is in essence no different than a bone marrow transplant for a leukemia patient.

Still a long ways to go on the research, from the things I have read in the actual study... but a very important and promising step nonetheless. Imagine the possibilities, if we could find a way to mimic what CCR532/32 does and put it into a pill or shot one day! Eventually it could possibly be as simple as any other vaccination!

Sack

Sid_Vicious
12-16-2010, 11:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very positive news! I know there was a clinical trial for this that began in 2009, good to see results coming out of it with much potential!

Sack </div></div>

Yes, it is great news. Imagine what this could mean in many third world countries, to those suffering from such a horrible disease, so many women, who have been raped, and then their children, born with AIDS.

G.
</div></div>

The most irritating thing I always come away with on news glibs like these(there was one on diabetes not many years ago), is they always end with, "It'll be years, so wait." Then years go by and so many people simply suffer and die each and every day. IMO suspicious opinion...the pharmaceutical business holds back major discoveries which threaten the cash flow of meds. Couple of general practitioners have said just as much as well. It sucks, but you almost have to expect that the mighty dollar will STILL let sick people stay sick and die, just because of the money, BIG MONEY controlling things. I think most of us open-minded people have already concluded that big money controls our government. I say that money and politics is the main culprit we will ever have to deal with before concrete remedies are released for anything, be it AIDS, cancer, diabetes...it is like we have a legal drug dealing situation within the money/pharma/govt community. Personally, I expect absolutely no milestones to happen in medical discoveries here in the USA if it has direct $$$ impact on retail drug sales. That is sick. All I foresee is news glibs like this one, then silence again, hence I don't let myself get to a gleeful state over any news like this. Give the remedy to the next dying patient. Ask him/her if they wish to try it! I would and they would too. Big money won't let the magic fix to happen that fast, it's all about money in the end. sid

sack316
12-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Good point Sid. Always seems "Company A" just happens to release their new and better version of "Drug A" right around the time their patent runs out. SO while other companies could now essentially compete with their version of "Drug A" and drive costs down, Company A has its new patents on Drug A version 2 that does a better job... which could probably have been readily available years prior.

Sack

Gayle in MD
12-16-2010, 12:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very positive news! I know there was a clinical trial for this that began in 2009, good to see results coming out of it with much potential!

Sack </div></div>

G.
</div></div>

The most irritating thing I always come away with on news glibs like these(there was one on diabetes not many years ago), is they always end with, "It'll be years, so wait." Then years go by and so many people simply suffer and die each and every day. IMO suspicious opinion...the pharmaceutical business holds back major discoveries which threaten the cash flow of meds. Couple of general practitioners have said just as much as well. It sucks, but you almost have to expect that the mighty dollar will STILL let sick people stay sick and die, just because of the money, BIG MONEY controlling things. I think most of us open-minded people have already concluded that big money controls our government. I say that money and politics is the main culprit we will ever have to deal with before concrete remedies are released for anything, be it AIDS, cancer, diabetes...it is like we have a legal drug dealing situation within the money/pharma/govt community. Personally, I expect absolutely no milestones to happen in medical discoveries here in the USA if it has direct $$$ impact on retail drug sales. That is sick. All I foresee is news glibs like this one, then silence again, hence I don't let myself get to a gleeful state over any news like this. Give the remedy to the next dying patient. Ask him/her if they wish to try it! I would and they would too. Big money won't let the magic fix to happen that fast, it's all about money in the end. sid </div></div>

Martin, you said it all, friend.

And we could add countless war fiascos to that list as well, linked to the military Industrial congressional complex.

And I know that you know the party which protect the very corporate corrupt practices which exist ONLY for their bottom line, not to mention the religious fanatics, who hold back science at every turn.

There is no telling how much farther along stem cell research would be right now, without that sort of obstructionism.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif