PDA

View Full Version : Jump (only) Sticks: Bungee or Sledgehammer?

02-28-2002, 07:06 PM
When the Bungee jump stick came out, it was a significant improvement over all the other commercially available jump sticks. A couple of months ago I saw a demo of a Sledgehammer jump stick. It was incredible, a novice who never jumped before could easily jump a full object ball a few inches away. 1.Does anyone here have personal experience with either or both jump sticks they would care to share? 2.What is the material used on the tip of each stick? 3.Are the tips available for sale, and if so, how much? 4.Where might one purchase the material, especially of the type used on the Sledgehammer? Anxiously awaiting.
Thanks.

JoePickens
02-28-2002, 08:03 PM
I don't have any experinece with the Sledgehammer, but let me tell you a little story about the Bungee.

I am 55 years old and have been playing pool since I was 15, but I have never, never been able to jump a ball. My son has tried to teach me many times, but I would give up and just kick for everything.

Then last year he bought me a break/jump cue and I took it to Vegas with me. Although still not able to jump with it I watched there demo on how to jump with a Bungee cue. I would then take my new found knowledge and go practice jumping, but I still could not make the cue ball jump. This went on for three days, me watching their demo and then trying it myself.

Finally, I asked them if I could try it with the Bungee and I swear I did it the first try. I turned around to the guy and bought the stick on the spot after only trying one time.

Joe Pickens

02-28-2002, 08:37 PM
I feel that the use of these cues should be illegal.
If "anyone" can jump with these cues, than it takes the skill and the appreciation of the skill right out of the shot.
I feel that they should allow break cues, but the cue that you choose to shoot with, is also the cue you should have to jump with, kick with, masse with and play all yer shots with.
My feeling is once at the table and potting balls, one should not be able to return to yer chair, to get a cue specifically designed to "jump" with.

Why not just allow everyone to scoop the cueball into the air, any fool can do that to.

But I have seen and tried a bungee, if the sledgehammer makes it easier than the bungee, than it is just rediculous.

Carson

Q-guy
02-28-2002, 08:45 PM
The jump cue is basically a concept. Any cuemaker that adheres to the basic concept will have a cue that will jump as good as any other cue. The bungee is more like a very long shaft with a very hard tip, but within the conceptual guide lines of what it takes for the cue to jump. It doesn't matter who builds the cue. Few cuemakers will build you any kind of cue for $99. Cuemakers get more then that for a shaft. The Bungee is cheap and it works.

03-01-2002, 12:03 PM
HELLO
I PLAYED WITH A SLEDEHAMMER CUE.AND IT BREAKS GOOD.AND JUMPS FINE .BUT IF YOU WANT 2 KNOW WHAT IS THE HYPE IT'S THE FERRULE IT.S SOME TYPE OF FIBER,(MILLAMILL) THERE IS NO TIP ON THIS STICK.
ALL FERRULE. SHAPED IN TO A STYLE OF A TIP.BUT IT IS A GREAT CUE DON'T GET IT WRONG.IT JUMPS/BREAKS GREAT.NOW (# 2) THE BUNGEE, NOW IT A NICE LITTE TOOL BUT ALL YOU ARE PAYIN FOR IS A SHAFT WITH A HOLLOWED OUT HANDELE. ANY CUE MAKER CAN MAKE 1 FOR .YOU JUST NEED 2 KNOW WHAT 2 ASK FOR .SO IF YOU WANT MY 2CENTS. I'LL GO FOR THE SLEDEHAMMER, YOU CAN GET 2 FOR ONE.GOOD BREAK CUE THAT JUMPS GREAT.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>THANKS <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

TomBrooklyn
03-01-2002, 01:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> I feel that the use of these cues should be illegal.
If "anyone" can jump with these cues, than it takes the skill and the appreciation of the skill right out of the shot.
I feel that they should allow break cues, but the cue that you choose to shoot with, is also the cue you should have to jump with, kick with, masse with and play all yer shots with.... Carson <hr></blockquote>
Carson, do you think that golfers should only be allowed to have only one or two clubs? Do you think that just because a golfer has a lot of different clubs, he can put the golfball anywhere he wants and sink it easily? You probably don't think that.

It's true a jump cue makes it easier to jump a ball than a playing cue, just as a sand wedge makes it easier to get out of a sand trap than a driver or a putter. You could get out of a sand trap with a driver or a putter though. And people of different skill levels with their sand wedge get different results; just having one does not guarentee a good shot. A jump cue is very similar.

Rich R.
03-01-2002, 01:58 PM
The subject of you post indicates that the Sledgehammer is a "Jump (only) Stick", similar to the Bungee. That is incorrect. The Sledgehammer is a Jump-Break stick.
http://www.babysproshop.com/sledgehammer.htm

Rich R.

03-03-2002, 12:48 AM
Hey Tom.

I'll get into it with you.
If the powers that "b" made a driver that would instantly give everyone 20 extra yards, straigher hit, and ball speed off the clubface that made the game too easy.
They would ban it.

Which they have?
The U.S.G.A will not allow in tournament play the ERC driver. Why, because it makes it too easy. A bad swing can still produce a quality drive of some distance. Making technology more important than skill level.

The bungee, sledgehammer, is the same thing.
If a guy has never jumped a ball in 40 years of pool, then picks up a bungee and starts snapping the cue over ob's placed not a ball and a half away. Something is not right.

It takes real skill to jump a ball with yer shooter, with a bungee, it takes the ability to breath.
Once picking up a bungee and jumping everything in site, only someone who doesn't care, or doesn't want to, won't take the time to figure out how to line it up correctly.
Now instead of just jumping balls that they previously couldn't, they are potting balls that their skill level dictates they shouldn't.

Technology has made it easy for them, thus it should be banned, much like ERC, or spring effect club faces in golf.

luv ya.
Carson

03-05-2002, 12:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: NYC12831:</font><hr> HELLO
I PLAYED WITH A SLEDEHAMMER CUE.AND IT BREAKS GOOD.AND JUMPS FINE .BUT IF YOU WANT 2 KNOW WHAT IS THE HYPE IT'S THE FERRULE IT.S SOME TYPE OF FIBER,(MILLAMILL) THERE IS NO TIP ON THIS STICK.
ALL FERRULE. SHAPED IN TO A STYLE OF A TIP.BUT IT IS A GREAT CUE DON'T GET IT WRONG.IT JUMPS/BREAKS GREAT.NOW (# 2) THE BUNGEE, NOW IT A NICE LITTE TOOL BUT ALL YOU ARE PAYIN FOR IS A SHAFT WITH A HOLLOWED OUT HANDELE. ANY CUE MAKER CAN MAKE 1 FOR .YOU JUST NEED 2 KNOW WHAT 2 ASK FOR .SO IF YOU WANT MY 2CENTS. I'LL GO FOR THE SLEDEHAMMER, YOU CAN GET 2 FOR ONE.GOOD BREAK CUE THAT JUMPS GREAT.
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;THANKS &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; <hr></blockquote>

Just responding to the "hollowed out" comment. There is nothing hollowed out about the BunjeeJumper.

For $99 the Bunjee is one of the best deals in pool. You will be hard pressed to find a cuemaker who will make you a decent shaft for $100 much less a jump cue which requires a handle and specific characteristics.

Add to that the 14 day, 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.

We have also now developed the Bunjee Jump-Breaker which will be available for general sale after March 15th. They cost only $60 more, or $159.

I know nothing of the Sledgehammer other than hearing that it is a great product and works well. Right now I would go head to head with any jump cue out there in a performance/value comparison with complete confidence that the Bunjee will come out on top.

John Collins
http://www.bunjeejump.com

03-05-2002, 01:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I feel that the use of these cues should be illegal.
Carson <hr></blockquote>

well, it's not quite that simple. i've got a bunjee i've been working with for a few months and although most people can get it to jump within a short time, getting it to make balls after the jump is not that easy. for one thing, different slate and different cloth change the dynamics pretty sharply. getting the distance of the hop and getting the c.b. to settle into the desired line after the jump takes skill as does getting the right draw, follow or sidespin. just clearing the occluding ball isn't going to win games and it takes practice and skill to make the thing work right.

dan

shojingod
03-05-2002, 07:41 PM
In one way I agree with you, in another I don't.

I agree that people should have access to jump cues but I also believe they should learn how to do it with a regular cue as well.

Once you can do jump shots well with a regular cue then you can do them with pretty much any type of cue.

rackmup
03-06-2002, 07:31 PM
What makes the Bungee JC any different than any other JC? The cue needs to be light and have a tip that's hard as hell. That's all I know.

Compare your Bungee to, let's say, my Meucci "Jim Rempe" jump cue. They are both the same length and within grams of being the same weight. What would make me want to spend the $99. for your cue? C'mon Baby...SELL ME!

Looking for real answers and a reason to spend MORE money on another cue ( I have the $99. Do you want it???)

Regards,

Ken

Chris Cass
03-07-2002, 07:29 AM
Hi Ken,
You kill me. I think your already sold.LOL
Regards,
C.C.

rackmup
03-07-2002, 07:35 AM
C'mon...did it seem that obvious? I love the looks of my Meucci JC...just sort of curious what makes the Bungee any better when other guys are yakking about using a dowel rod with the same results.

Ken (maybe I should buy a dowel rod too...and a 8X10 case to carry all of this stuff!)

Doctor_D
03-07-2002, 08:33 AM
Good morning:

I have used the Bunjee Jump Cue with much success. Prior to the Bunjee, I had a Falcon Jump/Break Cue which performed poorly as a jump cue. I sold the Falcon and purchased a Predator BK and a Bunjee. I am thrilled with each item and its respective performance.

Dr. D.

03-07-2002, 10:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> What makes the Bungee JC any different than any other JC? The cue needs to be light and have a tip that's hard as hell. That's all I know.

Compare your Bungee to, let's say, my Meucci "Jim Rempe" jump cue. They are both the same length and within grams of being the same weight. What would make me want to spend the $99. for your cue? C'mon Baby...SELL ME!

Looking for real answers and a reason to spend MORE money on another cue ( I have the $99. Do you want it???)

Regards,

Ken <hr></blockquote>

There are plenty of Jump Cues out there right now that work very well. Where the Bunjee has excelled is offering consistency coupled with price to provide a better value than most of the competition.

We have done the VNEA and BCA Vegas tournaments for the last three years offering to challenge any jump cue on the market in a head to head competiton.

The Bunjee either outperformed the competiton or in the situations where performance was very close, the Bunjee was simply less expensive while offering more selection.

If your Meucci jump cue is anything like the ones from the 80's then the Bunjee will blow it away on performance and I believe that they were also more than $99 then. If it is similar to the Bunjee in construction then it might be similar in performance as well and you shouldn't change.

The Bunjee is non-restrictive in that it is designed to allow for jumps as close as a chalk's width or table length. The only limitation is your personal skill level, just as with a normal cue.

Would you play with a cue that had no tip? Would you play without chalk? This is the equivalent of playing with a dowel for jump shots. Yes, the cueball can be made to leap over another ball just as a cue without a tip can propel a ball in a forward direction. What you lose is the control over the cueball which is so critical to success at pool. In this instance you could be the greatest player on earth and your range of shots would be severely limited by the equipment.

We provide a great cue that is engineered to allow you to jump as well as your ability dictates. It provides all the control over the cueball you expect from a pool cue and only costs $99, which is less than a good shaft.

There are other great alternatives on the market - but we don't guarantee them unconditionally like we do with the Bunjee.

I hope we gained a customer - we can add you to the list of players who cashed with Bunjee.

John :-))

rackmup
03-07-2002, 08:51 PM
ANSWER THE QUESTION!

"What makes your cue better than my Meucci 80's era jump cue?" You said... <blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>If your Meucci jump cue is anything like the ones from the 80's then the Bunjee will blow it away on performance<hr></blockquote>

Is it the tip? The weight? Kryptonite inside the butt? Titanium alloy forged Scandinavian joint pin? WHAT?

If I put an Instroke tip on my cue, will it make a marked difference?

BTW...Went to Hawley's in Dallas today and played with a "demo" Bungee...jumped every ball in the place!

ANSWERS! I NEED ANSWERS!

Regards,

Ken (payday is just around the corner)

03-07-2002, 09:27 PM
I seem to recall a story in the history of pool, that when the leather tip came out, and a guy displayed his ability to use "english", a lot of people sounded like you. They were amazed that the cue ball could actually back up, and called it magic. I'm not an expert on the subject, this is just my recollection of the story.

Now there are cues and tips available to make this easier. I sure would like to try one. I bought a jump/break cue, and still can't jump good. I practice in the pool hall, not caring who watches, and have not made much progress, but am still practicing. I am a pathetic jumper, but consider myself a competitive player.

My thought on this is, if a guy can jump, and make the shot, who cares if he used a broom handle or a new product with a superconium nitride tip and a catchy name? He still used a stick to pocket a ball. whats the big deal

stickman
03-07-2002, 10:34 PM
Maybe a trade secret? :-)

03-07-2002, 11:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> ANSWER THE QUESTION!

"What makes your cue better than my Meucci 80's era jump cue?" You said... &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;If your Meucci jump cue is anything like the ones from the 80's then the Bunjee will blow it away on performance&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Is it the tip? The weight? Kryptonite inside the butt? Titanium alloy forged Scandinavian joint pin? WHAT?

If I put an Instroke tip on my cue, will it make a marked difference?
<hr></blockquote>

If you put a Bunjee Tip on the cue you will be able to jump much better with the Meucci. However the Bunjee will still outperform it due to the taper and balance. You will notice that the Meucci will still be butt heavy and awkward to control and the Bunjee by comparison will be front heavy and easier to guide through the shot.

The answer to your question as to why the Bunjee is better than the Meucci is that the tip, taper and balance of the Bunjee are engineered to provide maximum 'jumpability' using the parameters of a pool cue. Using cues such as the Meucci jump cue as a starting point we experiemented with many different configurations to eliminate as many of the limitations that the 'old style' jump cues had as possible.

Thus you have a jump cue in the Bunjee that jumps as well as you can. Even with a Bunjee Tip on a Meucci you will be hard pressed to jump a ball that is a ball's width from the cueball consistently. With the Bunjee - no problem - if your stroke is there. Like I said, the only limit to how well you jump is your ability and not your equipment with a Bunjee or a similarly performing cue.

See you on payday. :-)

rackmup
03-08-2002, 06:21 AM
I will say that your cue did feel good in my hands...so light that it almost wasn't "there". I'm having an Instroke tip put on my Meucci (just to satisfy me} today. If it doesn't "work", then $99. of my hard-earned cash will be yours to spend anyway you like!

How does that Instroke tip perform on a break cue?

Regards,

Ken

03-08-2002, 12:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: magnet:</font><hr>
who cares if he used a broom handle or a new product with a superconium nitride tip and a catchy name? He still used a stick to pocket a ball. whats the big deal <hr></blockquote>

well, i know one league operator who cares. playing against the team the l.o. is on last night and after making 2 very successful (make jump, ball &amp; shape) i'm setting up for another one when the l.o. pulls out some ratty old mangled piece of paper that says that the 'house rule' prohibits jumps or masse shots. i'm about 10 seasons deep in that league and this has never been mentioned.

funny how nobody cared while i was still screwing-up and selling out on jumps. oh well, we still got 156 of a possible 160 points and they got about 30.

dan

03-08-2002, 11:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> I will say that your cue did feel good in my hands...so light that it almost wasn't "there". I'm having an Instroke tip put on my Meucci (just to satisfy me} today. If it doesn't "work", then $99. of my hard-earned cash will be yours to spend anyway you like!

How does that Instroke tip perform on a break cue?

Regards,

Ken <hr></blockquote>

Be careful Ken. What you want is a Bunjee Tip and not an Instroke tip. The Instroke tips are 11 layer pigskins with no jumping qualities.

The tips perform great on a jump cue which is why we are now making a Bunjee Jump/Breaker.

John