PDA

View Full Version : Repubs Continue To block DADT

Gayle in MD
12-16-2010, 02:50 PM
And while they're doing it, this comes to light.

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/1210/121510kp1.htm

Sexual assault, has gone up in our military academies, by 64%, this year.

Anyone find it crazy that some righties are so up in arms, about Gay men and Lesbian women, serving their country, openly, while man on woman rape, both in the service, and in the military academies, rises every year?

How crazy does it seem that we fight wars in places like Afghanistan, which experts say are unwinnable, because of the gross oppression of women, men blocking women's opportunities for an education, blowing up girl's schools, which continue to prevent any progress or overall change in those countries, while at the same time, the statistics in our own country of man on woman rape, just go up, and our own courts, do a lousy job, handling them?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I am so tired of seeing my country fight wars, instead of cleaning up thhe inhumane problems, right here in our own country.

This blogger from the site, says it best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> From what I hear the biggest problem in the services concerning discipline is man on woman sexual harrassment, intimidation and assault(rape). Makes all this angst over "don't ask, don't tell" seem silly by comparison.
Long Term Fed Posted December 16, 2010 7:58 AM </div></div>

pooltchr
12-16-2010, 03:09 PM
So why isn't our Commander in Chief doing something about it???????????

Steve

sack316
12-16-2010, 03:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Off the specific topic if you don't mind for a sec... but this statistic is actually a good thing. The statement, more accurately put, would be "REPORTING of sexual assault has increased by 64%". Victims are no longer as afraid to speak out as they once were, and measures to protect them for doing so have been put into place. I very specifically recall an AF saying "what happens in Lackland stays in Lackland"... which was both a good and bad thing. Hopefully now the bad isn't staying quiet so much.

Also, the article says "There were 41 reports of sexual assault at the military service academies this academic year". While any number greater than zero is not a good thing, in comparison with civilian college campuses... well there is no comparison!

Sack

Gayle in MD
12-16-2010, 04:48 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Off the specific topic if you don't mind for a sec... but this statistic is actually a good thing. The statement, more accurately put, would be "REPORTING of sexual assault has increased by 64%". Victims are no longer as afraid to speak out as they once were, and measures to protect them for doing so have been put into place. I very specifically recall an AF saying "what happens in Lackland stays in Lackland"... which was both a good and bad thing. Hopefully now the bad isn't staying quiet so much.

Also, the article says "There were 41 reports of sexual assault at the military service academies this academic year". While any number greater than zero is not a good thing, in comparison with civilian college campuses... well there is no comparison!

Sack </div></div>

I agree Sack, better reporting of rape, is a good thing, but it's not much good if the penalties are too weak.

As for your other remark...from my post:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">while at the same time, the statistics in our own country of man on woman rape, just go up, and our own courts, do a lousy job, handling them?

</div></div>

Yes, I was also addressing overall numbers for rape in our private colleges, which are absolutely horrendous.

Sorry, if I didn't make that clear...

It would seem all of fuss over DADT, as the blogger stated, are a bit silly, given the heterosexual, male on female numbers of rapes reported daily in America.

One would thing by now, since this growing trend of heterosexual rape, male on female of course, is getting worse, that the courts would realize the need for stricter punishment.

I don't see that happening here, so far, yet we hear so much about rape, as a social problem, in other countries.

G.