PDA

View Full Version : Men's pool on TV

eg8r
12-17-2010, 09:44 AM
I haven't watched much pool on TV because I got tired of watching trick shot competitions. I just cannot stand to watch trick shots. Has anything changed, or is it just WPBA and trick shots on ESPN?

eg8r

Rich R.
12-18-2010, 07:20 AM
For the most part it is the same as usual. The WPBA pays for their coverage from ESPN but even they have had a huge cut in the number of tournaments. The men don't really have an organization representing them and paying for coverage. The men keep making attempts at creating an organization to represent them but they keep falling short.

BTW, the International Challenge of Champions was recently on ESPN. I recorded it but haven't had the chance to watch yet so I'm not totally sure who was playing. You may want to watch for a rerun to see some men play.

bradb
12-18-2010, 12:55 PM
I got HD pay channels and there is some pool on there, including international tournaments in doubles, singles and womens pool. You will need the HD box.

Regular programing shows very little pool, You might want to try satelite also. brad

eg8r
12-18-2010, 03:21 PM
What stations are you watching. I have DirecTv.

eg8r

bradb
12-19-2010, 02:41 PM
The broadcasts are bundled into HD Plus sports. There is even more if you want to pay extra for the complete sports package. I'm up in Canada it may be bundled different where you are under a different name. Brad

jht1953
12-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Direct TV, ATT Uverse, Comcast all have a search feature. Type in Billiards and you'll get all the matches a month or so out, you can record them if you have DVR, when I had TV I even got an I Dream of Genie episode!!!!

hondo
12-22-2010, 10:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't watched much pool on TV because I got tired of watching trick shot competitions. I just cannot stand to watch trick shots. Has anything changed, or is it just WPBA and trick shots on ESPN?

eg8r </div></div>

I'm with you, Eg. I'd prefer to watch the top guys play but there just isn't much on anymore.
Tricks get boring, and the women are over-exposed. ( In the wrong way) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

eg8r
12-28-2010, 09:43 AM
I guess I will look into Accu-stats again. I quit buying from them when they would not switch to DVD format (long time ago). Once they did I was not in a position to be buying them but now I am getting bit by the pool bug again and need to see some good pool. I really need to get my vhs converted to dvd so I can watch what I already have and then pick up some choice new ones.

eg8r

Rich R.
12-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Ed, there are quite a few tournaments that stream some matches live. The quality varies from tournament to tournament, but you can see some top notch pool. My only problem with it is that I can't record it. I'm not sure if recording is possible, but I don't have a clue how to do it.

Other than AccuStats, The Action Report (TAR) also sells DVD's from challenge matches and, I think, some tournaments. They are not AccuStat quality because they don't have the huge lighting and multi-camera system but you can still see some great pool.

Many of the live streams are on http://www.ustream.tv/
You can also find recorded matches on there for viewing. Just search under "Sports" or "Other Sports" and you will find billiards somewhere along the line.

eg8r
12-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Very cool. Thanks.

eg8r