PDA

View Full Version : Fair?

Qtec
12-19-2010, 03:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style='font-size: 17pt'>US Wage Stagnation Leads to Rampant Inequality</span>

Those of us who live near the top of the income pyramid are doing very nicely, thank you. Yet our government keeps showering us with Christmas presents. Meanwhile, economic life is pretty miserable for those near the bottom and is getting worse for those in the middle. Does this strike you as fair?

The main story line of the U.S. economy over the last third of a century evokes Charles Dickensís classic ďA Christmas Carol.Ē Starting in the late 1970s, the labor market turned ferociously against those with less education and in favor of those with more. This was not Ronald Reaganís fault, nor George Bushís (either one), nor Mitch McConnellís. It just happened. And except for a brief shining moment during the Clinton boom, the Great Disequalization has continued unabated to this day [...]

<u>When it comes to wages, the basic story of recent decades is redolent of Scrooge.</u> <span style='font-size: 26pt'>Real average hourly earnings (excluding fringe benefits) now stand roughly at 1974 levels. Yes, thatís right, no real increase in over 35 years.</span> That is an astounding, dismaying and profoundly ahistorical development. The American story for two centuries was one of real wages advancing more or less in line with productivity. But not lately. <u>Since 1978, productivity in the nonfarm business sector is up 86%, but real compensation per hour (which includes fringe benefits) is up just 37%. Does that seem fair?</u> </div></div>

Q link (http://news.firedoglake.com/2010/12/17/us-wage-stagnation-leads-to-rampant-inequality/)

pooltchr
12-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Fair...it's about everyone having the same OPPORTUNITY to achieve wealth.

Fair...is not about making sure everyone becomes wealthy.

What is fair about taking money from those who have been successful and handing it over to those who haven't been successful?

If my neighbor has 3 new BMWs in his driveway, and I have an old Honda....should I be entitled to one of his cars?

Steve

eg8r
12-19-2010, 10:47 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Real average hourly earnings (excluding fringe benefits) now stand roughly at 1974 levels. Yes, thatís right, no real increase in over 35 years.</div></div>Yep, it is perfectly fair. Everyone has the same opportunities when they grow up. The ones that quit school, blame their parents, work one job bagging groceries and have 5 children deserve what they have.

eg8r

Stretch
12-19-2010, 10:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style='font-size: 17pt'>US Wage Stagnation Leads to Rampant Inequality</span>

Those of us who live near the top of the income pyramid are doing very nicely, thank you. Yet our government keeps showering us with Christmas presents. Meanwhile, economic life is pretty miserable for those near the bottom and is getting worse for those in the middle. Does this strike you as fair?

The main story line of the U.S. economy over the last third of a century evokes Charles Dickensís classic ďA Christmas Carol.Ē Starting in the late 1970s, the labor market turned ferociously against those with less education and in favor of those with more. This was not Ronald Reaganís fault, nor George Bushís (either one), nor Mitch McConnellís. It just happened. And except for a brief shining moment during the Clinton boom, the Great Disequalization has continued unabated to this day [...]

<u>When it comes to wages, the basic story of recent decades is redolent of Scrooge.</u> <span style='font-size: 26pt'>Real average hourly earnings (excluding fringe benefits) now stand roughly at 1974 levels. Yes, thatís right, no real increase in over 35 years.</span> That is an astounding, dismaying and profoundly ahistorical development. The American story for two centuries was one of real wages advancing more or less in line with productivity. But not lately. <u>Since 1978, productivity in the nonfarm business sector is up 86%, but real compensation per hour (which includes fringe benefits) is up just 37%. Does that seem fair?</u> </div></div>

Q link (http://news.firedoglake.com/2010/12/17/us-wage-stagnation-leads-to-rampant-inequality/) </div></div>

They were conned into thinking that more productivity translated into better wage, benefits, and security. It was a lie. All that did was pad the CEO's lavish retirement portfolio and golden hand shake. FAIR would be if the employees owened the company in which they worked thus giving them each equall dividends of the company's profit. The executive would then work for and be answerable to the people who produce the product. They would in effect be working for the workers. Now THAT would be a novel idea...St.

pooltchr
12-19-2010, 11:09 AM
If employees want to own the company they work for, all they need to do is buy stock. If employers want loyal and productive employees, they should encourage employee stock ownership.

It's not a novel idea at all. There are many companies that do this.

Steve

LWW
12-19-2010, 04:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If my neighbor has 3 new BMWs in his driveway, and I have an old Honda....should I be entitled to one of his cars?

Steve </div></div>

According to the far left, if your neighbor is named Perot, McCain, or Bush then you certainly are. OTOH, if their name is Clinton, Kerry, Rockefeller, Waters, Biden or Obama you should be arrested and jailed for not respecting your masters.

LWW

Qtec
12-19-2010, 08:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fair...it's about everyone having the same OPPORTUNITY to achieve wealth. </div></div>

You are living in La La Land.
What you are saying is that some black kid born in the ghetto, no father and a crack head mom has the same chance to succeed as GW Bush had?

Get real.

Q

Qtec
12-19-2010, 08:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fair...it's about everyone having the same OPPORTUNITY to achieve wealth.

<span style="color: #990000">Then you should have a high Estate Tax.</span>

<span style="color: #990000">Nobody here ever said it was.</span>

What is fair about taking money from those who have been successful and handing it over to those who haven't been successful?

<span style="color: #990000"> Its been happening for years. What do you think a farm SUBSIDY is?</span>

If my neighbor has 3 new BMWs in his driveway, and I have an old Honda....should I be entitled to one of his cars?

<span style="color: #CC0000"> No.</span>

Steve </div></div>

Q

Qtec
12-19-2010, 08:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If employees want to own the company they work for, all they need to do is buy stock. If employers want loyal and productive employees, they should encourage employee stock ownership.

It's not a novel idea at all. There are many companies that do this.

Steve </div></div>

One word, ENRON.

Q

Qtec
12-19-2010, 09:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They were conned into thinking that more productivity translated into better wage, benefits, and security. </div></div>

I would say tn the 50's and 60's this was true. I believe even today the US worker is the most productive, but the US worker can't compete with 3rd world wages.
The advancement of the internet didn't help. Many back office work is now done in India.

What happened was that the <span style='font-size: 14pt'>'job creators'!</span> abandoned the American worker for profit. Pure short sited greed has reduced the living standard of most Americans and the US Govt did nothing.

It does say in the US Con the words 'general welfare'. Two words it seems the Right seems to despise.

Q

sack316
12-19-2010, 09:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fair...it's about everyone having the same OPPORTUNITY to achieve wealth. </div></div>

What you are saying is that some black kid born in the ghetto, no father and a crack head mom has the same chance to succeed as GW Bush had?

Get real.

Q

</div></div>

"The Situation" from that Jersey Shore show is a millionaire now. 'Nuff said lol

Sack

pooltchr
12-19-2010, 10:02 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fair...it's about everyone having the same OPPORTUNITY to achieve wealth.

<span style="color: #990000">Then you should have a high Estate Tax.</span>

<span style="color: #3366FF">Or no estate tax. The government has already collected income tax on the money earned. Why should it be taxed again when you die???? </span>

<span style="color: #990000">Nobody here ever said it was.</span>

<span style="color: #3366FF">You support redistribution of wealth. Taking more from the rich to give to the poor. That makes the rich less wealthy, and the poor more wealthy. So yes, you have said so. </span>

<span style="color: #990000"> Its been happening for years. What do you think a farm SUBSIDY is?</span>

<span style="color: #3366FF">I agree...there is nothing fair about farm subsidies either. It's just more redistribution of wealth...and I'm against it. </span>

<span style="color: #CC0000"> No.</span>

<span style="color: #3366FF">Why not? He obviously makes more than I do...and it's not fair! He should have to pay more so they can give me more! </span>

Steve </div></div>

Q </div></div>

<span style="color: #3366FF">Are you starting to see the inconsistency in your position here, and how silly the whole Robin Hood thing really is?

Steve </span>

eg8r
12-19-2010, 11:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pure short sited greed has reduced the living standard of most Americans and the US Govt did nothing.

</div></div>And there is no fault on the American worker that did nothing to better themselves? No further education to move to the next level? No cross training to take on additional work? No worker separation on the part of the worker to distance themselves from the others for advancement? Nope, it is never the worker's fault just the mean CEOs doing exactly what the stockholders told them to do.

eg8r

eg8r
12-19-2010, 11:09 PM
You are right, no employees should ever buy stock in their company. You know what, there are plenty of examples of companies in all sectors that have gone bad and turned into garbage stock, so don't invest anywhere. Just lube your rear-end up, give qtip a call about working under the table, and wait for Uncle Sam to cover all your needs.

eg8r

eg8r
12-19-2010, 11:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What you are saying is that some black kid born in the ghetto, no father and a crack head mom has the same chance to succeed as GW Bush had?

</div></div>He sure does. Actually there are quite a few in professional sports doing just that. It is a good thing they never listened to people like you that held them down on purpose and told them what a piece of garbage life has thrown at them and they should just go get a bunch of women pregnant to get more assistance from Uncle Sam.

eg8r

LWW
12-20-2010, 04:34 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fair...it's about everyone having the same OPPORTUNITY to achieve wealth. </div></div>

Get real.

Q

</div></div>
DING (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Powell) DONG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_obama) the myth is dead.

LWW

pooltchr
12-20-2010, 07:04 AM
I seem to recall some in the MSM telling us that electing a black president would send the message to all blacks that there is no limit to what they can accomplish.

The only thing holding anyone back are the limitations they place on themselves. That is the greatest gift that comes with true freedom.

I don't think some people will ever understand that concept.

Steve

LWW
12-20-2010, 03:03 PM
What has amazed me is that when the poverty pimps such as Jesse, Al, and Calypso Louis get together to talk about blacks they won't pic the likes of Powell, Rice, Jordan, et al ... instead they pick guys Mike Tyson.

LWW