PDA

View Full Version : WPBA Player Petition on Byes 30-1 Against

09-05-2002, 07:13 AM
As reported over at Mike Howerton's site (azbilliards), the WPBA member players presented the board (I assume no later than yesterday) with an overwhelming vote of 30-1 to return to the previous format with no byes in the 64 player chart.

It will be interesting to see (and we should find out in a few hours as soon as Mike posts the tourney brackets) whether the board has the sense to abide by their members clear wishes on this very important matter.

The PR tact taken by the board is that this decision was largely based not as much on rewarding the top 16 (although that was likely the real reason), as much as it was to try to benefit the unseeded players by giving them potentially easier 1st and 2nd round opponents to face. This petition clearly shows that these players don't mind the possibility of having to face a top seeded player in the 1st or 2nd round.

Bottom line by their vote - everyone in the field should start any tournament at the same place with no advantage and no disadvantage placed on any player (other than their various skill levels) which we can accept. Opinions here as to how others speculate what the board will do? Personally, I'm holding out hope that they will put their pride aside, admit their mistake and abide by their member's wishes, which IMO would be a big step for this board. - Chris in NC

nAz
09-05-2002, 07:22 AM
Are they stuck with the current format for the rest of the year? or can it still be changed?

Wally_in_Cincy
09-05-2002, 07:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris in NC:</font><hr> Opinions here as to how others speculate what the board will do? Personally, I'm holding out hope that they will put their pride aside, admit their mistake and abide by their member's wishes, which IMO would be a big step for this board. - Chris in NC <hr></blockquote>

I don't think it's proper to speculate at this point but I will anyway /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif. I think they'll return to the previous format. We shall see.

Vagabond
09-05-2002, 07:34 AM
Howdy folks,
WPBA Board voted to have two Byes for top 16 seeds.Sorry fellows, get used to it.
Vagabond camping in Albuquerque.

Rich R.
09-05-2002, 08:26 AM
Hopefully Mike H. will be lurking and clarify the vote.
As Chis stated, AZB indicates that the vote was 30 to 1 against.
What I would like to know, was the total number of votes 31 or was there a larger number of votes and 30-1 is just the final breakdown?
For example: 155 total votes with 150 against and 5 in favor would be a 30-1 margin.
IMHO, 31 would be a poor voter turnout for this important issue. The WPBA may say that the number is insignificant, compared to the 50 of their own survey vote.
However, the 150-5 vote, in my example, would be a much stronger statement.
Please Mike H. or anyone with accurate information, please clarify.
Rich R.

AzHousePro
09-05-2002, 03:07 PM
30-1 was it. I think some of the players may have been concerned about putting their name on the petition but I didn't see any other way to do it.

Mike

AzHousePro
09-05-2002, 03:08 PM
Sure enough, two byes for the top 16 again.

I will have brackets up in a little while.

Mike

Rich R.
09-06-2002, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the reply Mike.
I agree with your assessment of the low number of votes.
It appears many of the players have been intimidated by the WPBA BOD. However, the low numbers with a 30-1 vote still says a lot. If a player wanted to vote in favor of the new format, they would have nothing to fear from the BOD. The fact that only one player voted in favor speaks for itself.
Rich R.

Doctor_D
09-06-2002, 06:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr> Thanks for the reply Mike.
I agree with your assessment of the low number of votes.
It appears many of the players have been intimidated by the WPBA BOD. However, the low numbers with a 30-1 vote still says a lot. If a player wanted to vote in favor of the new format, they would have nothing to fear from the BOD. The fact that only one player voted in favor speaks for itself.
Rich R. <hr></blockquote>

Good morning Rich:

Your assesment is absolutely correct. Durng the period of time the votes and signatures were being compiled by Mike from AZ Billiards, I spoke with a significant number of WPBA members from all categories of membership. While the overwhelming response was in opposition to this new convoluted format, very few were willing to state their opinion with their name attached. Yes, it is a fact, members of the WPBA are fearful of retribution from the members of the WPBA BOD.

Sad, very Sad.

/ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

Dr. D.

09-06-2002, 07:00 AM
what's the point in watching the first 3 rounds, unless you have a personnal local favorite. i was looking at the chart at az, and my first thought was why bother the first two days. so i think it is also a fan thing.

and you're right about their reasons. i think the top seeds want to go shopping.