PDA

View Full Version : "Break speed" app results....

Soflasnapper
12-24-2010, 12:27 PM
There's an app that runs on Droids, probably the I-Phone, not sure what else, that 'listens' to the two sounds of the break shot (the hit on the cue ball, and then its hit on the rack) and then calculates how fast the break shot was.

The version our pool hall owner brought in lets you customize the reading by tapping a displayed model pool table for where you break from for accuracy of results.

First we checked the break speed of a large woman who outweighs my 200 pounds by about 100 pounds (!). Her break registered at 19+ mph. (We know she has a powerful break.) Mine came in barely over 17 mph, even though it's pretty effective at scattering and making balls. The owner has an ear-splitting break, and his registered about 22 mph. A smaller woman tested at 12 mph (and that was a weak break for sounds and effect).

I tried a few times to beat my recorded speed, and actually DROPPED speed in my efforts, into the 16 mph range. Which was interesting and unexpected.

Other than bragging rights, I guess a higher break speed is unimportant compared to results, so I don't think I'll try to up my regular break speed.

Any idea what your break speed is? If you're interested, this app is a little cheaper at $6 than getting a radar gun setup.

Rich R.
12-24-2010, 02:46 PM
A few guys were using that app at the Open to check break shots on the TV table.

I don't have the app and I don't have a Droid or an I-phone so I have no idea how fast my break is. Using only my results as a basis, and no sientific proof, I would estimate my break speed at about 2 mph. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Icon of Sin
12-25-2010, 01:12 AM
My best was in the upper 20s on a 9 footer... its been a few months since I used it. Will have to do it again sometime soon and post it.

Really is a great and clever app.

Brian in VA
12-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Hi Phil!

I bought that app a few months ago and find it interesting and, to some degree, helpful.

I was able to ramp up my speed while still controlling the cueball to about 22 mph by employing a number of different things; stance, grip and grip pressure, etc.

That said, the speed seems to have little to do with success for making balls. On my home table, an old Anniversary with 4.5 inch pockets, I have the best luck in 8 ball with a break speed around 17 mph. 9 ball break success is actually about 18 mph. With these break speeds, I'm able to spread the rack, make a ball most of the time and squat the rock in the middle of the table. By focusing on this technique at home, I seem to be better able to bring it to the pool room on league night.

I do find it interesting to learn what things create a more powerful break. There is one guy at my pool room that can get to the upper 20s but his cue ball control is suspect; doesn't seem to matter to him since he can run out from everywhere. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Best,
Brian

Soflasnapper
12-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Interesting you find the 18 mph break the most successful speed for a 9-ball break. That's similar to my 17 mph regular break speed for 9-ball, and I agree, it seems a very effective speed for spreading the balls, making a ball or a couple balls, and controlling the rock after the hit.

Part of its effectiveness for me, I think, is that I'm keeping the cue ball on the table with an almost level break stroke by breaking well away from the rail. It's not unusual for me to have half or more of the balls all the way to the head side of the table from where I broke, as if the rack were on the side I broke from.

One thing that is interesting is that this app could work on pre-recorded matches, so we could check any of the fabled breakers' speeds even years later, from taped matches.

BTW, which break do you use for 8-ball at that speed? Head on, more or less, second-ball break, what?

I use the second-ball break, and I find that if I really overpower the shot, the balls tend to recluster on one side of the table (making for an ugly rack).

Tony_in_MD
12-31-2010, 09:15 AM
I have not measured mine in a while. But when I did, I found that the most effective speed to break in 9 ball on my table was 19 mph.

(Gold Crown double shimmed pockets)

When I practice my break I am focusing on making a ball and squatting the cue ball in the center of the table. I have found when I break harder, I lose control of the cue.

Oh,yeah, I was one of the guys using the break app at the open.

Brian in VA
01-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Hi Phil,

I've begun breaking from dead center at the head string in 8 ball. I started doing it when doing the Q Skills challenges and it seems to be pretty effective at making a ball (around the 71% mark) for me. I'm also better able to squat the cue ball with that position. I've never had good luck with the 2nd ball break; seems counterintuitive to me but, admittedly, I've never studied it to see what the results would be with lots of data. Maybe I'll try that in my next practice session at the house.

Happy New Year!
Brian in VA

01-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Great app! I've had this since the day it became available for Droids. I believe it is available for just about all smart phones i.e. iPhone, Droids, Blackberry, etc.

I love it. If anything, it's a toy(for me), but can be used as an effective training tool, I suppose.

I've been trying to manufacture a decent 10 ball break. One thing I've noticed is that my break speed affects the action of the second row balls. I find that if I can break around 23-24 mph, I can get the second row ball going into hte side pocket fairly well. The problem is that at that speed, I'm a lil shaky, as far as accuracy. I can park the CB all day long at 19 mph, but I dont get the action I want; the second row ball hits a lil below the side pocket.

Eric

Soflasnapper
01-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Actually got an issue of Inside Pool (re-subscribed at the Open, although I don't think I ever got any issues sent from the last year I subscribed).

Break-speed has an ad near the front.