PDA

View Full Version : Tried to change my signature

hondo
12-26-2010, 07:54 AM
I wanted to do something more positive, so I came up with this:

"However exhibiting sarcasm will do nothing to open the minds of others to the possibilities that your personal enlightenment holds. Quite the opposite."

Sev

The Board won't let me do it.They said it was way too long.
Oh, well.I thought it would serve as a reminder to all us,
including the author of that little tidbit of wisdom.

pooltchr
12-26-2010, 08:23 AM
If you wanted to have something more positive, I'm sure you could come up with something a bit shorter that would fit...and probably be a bit less provocative that what you are presently using.

Just a suggestion. I think you might find that your signature could be considered a little negative and possibly sarcastic.

Maybe if you change yours, it might encourage others to do the same.

I'm all for your idea...but it seems to be little more than talk. If you want something more positive, make it more positive.

Steve

LWW
12-26-2010, 08:35 AM
In the spirit of the holiday's I have changed my sig from one of aitch's least accurate statements to something he stated that was more accurate ... although I still think he overstated his point even in this one.

LWW

cushioncrawler
12-26-2010, 04:19 PM
WikiLeaks.
Origin of the term
It is first recorded in English in 1579, in an annotation to The Shepheardes Calender: October:

Tom piper) An Ironicall [Sarcasmus], spoken in derision of these rude wits, whych make more account of a ryming Rybaud,[7] then of skill grounded upon learning and judgment.
—Edmund Spenser[8]
It comes from the ancient Greek σαρκάζω (sarkazo) meaning 'to tear flesh' but the ancient Greek word for the rhetorical concept of taunting was instead χλευασμός (chleyasmόs) Sarcasm appears several times in the Old Testament,; for example it seems to underlie the rhetorical questions of Achish, king of Gath::

Lo, you see the man is mad; why then have you brought him to me? Do I lack madmen, that you have brought this fellow to play the madman in my presence?
—I Sam 21:10-15[9]

cushioncrawler
12-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Usage
Dictionary.com describes the use of sarcasm thus:

In sarcasm, ridicule or mockery is used harshly, often crudely and contemptuously, for destructive purposes. It may be used in an indirect manner, and have the form of irony, as in “What a fine musician you turned out to be!” or it may be used in the form of a direct statement, “You couldn't play one piece correctly if you had two assistants.” The distinctive quality of sarcasm is present in the spoken word and manifested chiefly by vocal inflection ...[10]

Hostile, critical comments may be expressed in an ironic way, such as saying "don't work too hard" to a lazy worker. The use of irony introduces an element of humour which may make the criticism seem more polite and less aggressive. Sarcasm can frequently be unnoticed in print form, often times requiring the inflection or tone of voice to indicate the quip.

cushioncrawler
12-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Understanding
Understanding the subtlety of this usage requires second-order interpretation of the speaker's intentions. This sophisticated understanding can be lacking in some people with certain forms of brain damage, dementia and autism,[11] and this perception has been located by MRI in the right parahippocampal gyrus.[12][13]

Cultural perspectives on sarcasm vary widely with more than a few cultures and linguistic groups finding it offensive to varying degrees. Thomas Carlyle despised it: "Sarcasm I now see to be, in general, the language of the devil; for which reason I have long since as good as renounced it".[14] Fyodor Dostoyevsky, on the other hand, recognized in it a cry of pain: Sarcasm, he said, was "usually the last refuge of modest and chaste-souled people when the privacy of their soul is coarsely and intrusively invaded."[15] RFC 850, an email standard, even includes a warning to be especially careful with it as it "may not travel well".

cushioncrawler
12-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Vocal indication
In English, sarcasm in amateur actors is often telegraphed with kinesic/prosodic cues[16] by speaking more slowly and with a lower pitch. Similarly, Dutch uses a lowered pitch; sometimes to such an extend that the expression is reduced to a mere mumble. But other research shows that there are many ways that real speakers signal sarcastic intentions. One study found that in Cantonese sarcasm is indicated by raising the fundamental frequency of one's voice.[17]

[edit] Sarcasm punctuation
Main article: Irony punctuation
Though in the English language there is no standard accepted method to denote irony or sarcasm in written conversation, several forms of punctuation have been proposed. Among the oldest and frequently attested are the percontation point--furthered by Henry Denham in the 1580s--and the irony mark--furthered by Alcanter de Brahm in the 19th century. Both of these marks were represented visually by a backwards question mark (unicode U+2E2E). A more recent example is the snark mark. Each of these punctuation marks are primarily used to indicate that a sentence should be understood at a second level. A bracketed exclamation point and/or question mark as well as scare quotes are also sometimes used to express irony or sarcasm.

In certain Ethiopic languages, sarcasm and unreal phrases are indicated at the end of a sentence with a sarcasm mark called temherte slaq, a character that looks like an inverted exclamation point ¡.

cushioncrawler
12-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Percontation point
The percontation point ( ⸮ ) (punctus percontativus), or rhetorical question mark, also known as an ironicon was invented by Henry Denham in the 1580s and was used at the end of a rhetorical question; however, its use died out in the 17th century. It was the reverse of an ordinary question mark, so that instead of the main opening pointing back into the sentence, it opened away from it.[1] This character can be represented using the reversed question mark (⸮) found in Unicode as U+2E2E. The percontation point is analogous to the "Irony Mark"—used to indicate that a sentence should be understood at a second level (e.g. irony, sarcasm, etc.)—but these are rarely seen.[2]

Rhetorical questions in some (informal) situations can use a bracketed question mark, e.g. "Oh, really(?)", for example in 888 subtitles. (The equivalent for an ironic or sarcastic statement would be a bracketed exclamation mark, e.g. "Oh, really(!)".)

The question mark can also be used as a "meta" sign to signal uncertainty regarding what precedes. It is usually put between parenthesis (?). The uncertainty may concern either a superficial (such as unsure spelling) or a deeper truth, (real meaning) level.

[edit] Irony mark
The irony mark or irony point ( ⸮ ) (French: point d’ironie) is a punctuation mark proposed by the French poet Alcanter de Brahm (alias Marcel Bernhardt) at the end of the 19th century used to indicate that a sentence should be understood at a second level (e.g. irony, sarcasm, etc.). It is illustrated by a small, elevated, backward-facing question mark.[2][3]

It was in turn taken by Hervé Bazin in his book Plumons l’Oiseau ("Pluck the bird", 1966), in which the author proposes several other innovative punctuation marks, such as the doubt point (), certitude point (), acclamation point (), authority point (), indignation point (), and love point ().

Its form is essentially the same as the late medieval , a percontation point (punctus percontativus), which was used to mark rhetorical questions.[2] The character can be represented using the reversed question mark found in Unicode as (⸮) U+2E2E.

The irony mark has never been used widely. It appears occasionally in obscure artistic or literary publications.

[edit] Scare quotes
Main article: Scare quotes
Scare quotes is a term for a particular use of quotation marks. In this application, quotation marks are placed around a single word or phrase to indicate that the word or phrase does not signify its literal or conventional meaning. In contrast to the nominal typographic purpose of quotation marks, the enclosed word(s) are not necessarily quoted from another source.

[edit] Temherte slaqî
In certain Ethiopic languages, sarcasm and unreal phrases are indicated at the end of a sentence with a sarcasm mark called temherte slaqî or temherte slaq (U+00A1) ( ¡ ), a character that looks like the inverted exclamation point.[4]

[edit] Other typography
Subtitles, such as in Teletext, sometimes use an exclamation mark in brackets to mark sarcasm: (!). The tilde "~" is also sometimes used to indicate sarcasm. Likewise, Karl Marx uses the exclamation mark in brackets repeatedly throughout Das Kapital Volume 1. For example, in one instance, to ridicule Colonel Torrens: The problem is in no way simplified if extraneous matters are smuggled in, as with Colonel Torrens: "effectual demand consists in the power and inclination [!], on the part of the consumers, to give for commodities, either by immediate or circuitous barter...".[5]

It is common in online conversation to use a pseudo-HTML element: <sarcasm></sarcasm>.[6] Many times, the opening tag is omitted, due to the HTML tagging often being an afterthought. Similarly, and common in social-news-based sites is a single /s placed at the end of a comment to indicate a sarcastic tone for the preceding text. A "rolling eyes" emoticon is often used as well, particularly in instant messaging.[citation needed]

cushioncrawler
12-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Don't worry about what people think. They don't do it very often.

Stupidity is not a crime, so you're free to go

I think , Therefore we have nothing in common

I'm not fluent in IDIOT, So please speak slowly and clearly

I've lowered my expectations to the point where they've already been met

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong

How do a FOOL and his MONEY get together to begin with?

Don't blame yourself. Let me do it

If I got smart with you how would you know?

The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.

Thou shalt not weigh more than thy refrigerator

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot

If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.

Why be difficult, when with a bit of effort, you can be impossible?

Refuse To Have A Battle Of Wits With An Unarmed Person

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list

Good ideas aren't as common as stupid people think

I hear voices and they don't like you

What we learn from history is that we fail to learn from history

Those who laugh last thinks slowest

cushioncrawler
12-26-2010, 04:49 PM
"Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man. living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn't want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money."
- George Carlin

cushioncrawler
12-26-2010, 05:09 PM
“Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it”

"All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.”

“It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.”

"The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes"

“I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator”

“The victor will never be asked if he told the truth.”

"Who says I am not under the special protection of God?”

"Universal education is the most corroding and disintegrating poison that liberalism has ever invented for its own destruction.”

"What luck for the rulers that men do not think”

"The doom of a nation can be averted only by a storm of flowing passion, but only those who are passionate themselves can arouse passion in others.”

"Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as hell, and also the other way round, to consider the most wretched sort of life as paradise.”

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think”

“If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed”

"The great masses of the people will more easily fall victims to a big lie than to a small one.”

"The leader of genius must have the ability to make different opponents appear as if they belonged to one category.”

“The art of leadership. . . consists in consolidating the attention of the people against a single adversary and taking care that nothing will split up that attention. . . .”

“I use emotion for the many and reserve reason for the few”

"Hate is more lasting than dislike”

“The broad masses of a population are more amenable to the appeal of rhetoric than to any other force.”

"Success is the sole earthly judge of right and wrong.”

"Sooner will a camel pass through a needle's eye than a great man be "discovered" by an election”

"Humanitarianism is the expression of stupidity and cowardice”

"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: - by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord”

"As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice”

LWW
12-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Was alcohol a contributing factor?

LWW

cushioncrawler
12-26-2010, 05:41 PM
I am not sure whether quoting thems Adolf quotes iz sarcazm or irony (ie by mac, not by Hitler) -- probly both.

They fit the usofa Republican agenda and Republican rhetorik very very well.
And the Christian agenda and rhetorik (most God religions probly).
mac.