PDA

View Full Version : Proper height to start playing pool?

Tony777
12-30-2010, 09:52 PM
I have been introducing my nephew to pool in a number of ways. Aside from the "It's never too early" comment, as he just began to see above my regulation billiard table...What is the "proper" height that he should be to start playing?

Sid_Vicious
12-31-2010, 10:28 AM
Willie Mosconi stood on a crate for elevation early on to get up to see the table. Sid

Tony777
12-31-2010, 12:53 PM
I like that ideas for starters /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

pooltchr
12-31-2010, 03:16 PM
In order to learn to stroke properly, at a minimum, his waist needs to be as high as the top of the rail. That being said, there is no reason he can't stand on something to get him high enough.

Steve

BCA Master Instr
12-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Sid, what kind of crate was that?

randyg

Sid_Vicious
01-01-2011, 04:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCA Master Instr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sid, what kind of crate was that?

randyg</div></div>

Dem be milk crates. sid

C&P

"In his book, Mosconi said that at his young age, he thought everybody could shoot the balls in. He said the most difficult part of the game was pickingup the milk crate and moving it around the table so he could shoot!"

JasonWDTX
01-01-2011, 11:10 PM
My son started "playing" pool at 1 years old when I set him on the table and gave him a shaft to poke at balls. About 18 months he was starting to walk and could drag a plastic stool to stand on and knock balls around. By 2 I was able to get him to actually hit a ball without dragging the tip across the felt. He turns 3 in a few days and loves to play pool. He can carry the stool around the table, shoot balls with out the tip touching the felt, and chalk his stick (3ft kids stick) His arms are too short to bend in a stance, but he can place his stick on the rail, place his hand over it to so he can stroke it between his fingers, and hit balls close to the rail that he can reach. I just started placing balls by the pocket and letting him shoot the cue ball across the table to make em. As he grows we can introduce a stance and better bridge but just being able to hit a cue ball into other balls at 2 years old is a good start. They say we learn by shooting 1000's of balls so getting shots in at an early age can only benefit him. I was told I was wasting my time trying to get a 2 year old to shoot a ball rather than drag a stick across the felt but within a few weeks he could do it. I think its more of if you can work with him and spend time to teach him, then the sooner the better. Practice makes perfect and kids pick up stuff really quick.

Tony777
01-03-2011, 07:01 PM
This is great feedback guys. Instead of waiting until he was "older" three or four years from now, I'm excited about the next chance we'll be able to play billiards together. Now for a Part II Question (see new post /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif).