PDA

View Full Version : Open Bridge/Closed Bridge

Harry B
01-01-2011, 12:02 PM
I've noticed many pros switching from an open to a closed bridge position in certain shot situations.
Other than a break shot or a power draw, I'd like to here from some folks on what kind of shot situations might cause you to switch from one to the other and why.

pooltchr
01-01-2011, 12:41 PM
We teach 5 different bridges for different situations in our schools.
Open bridges offer the advantage of being able to easily sight down the cue toward your target without the line being broken by the loop of a closed bridge.
Closed bridges provide more control over exactly where the tip will make contact with the cue ball. A closed bridge will also naturally bring the tip a little lower in many cases.
As a rule of thumb, I use an open bridge when shooting above center, and go to a closed bridge when shooting draw or stop shots.
Steve

JJFSTAR
01-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Yup generally speaking soft shots I do open, firmer shots closed for the exact reason pooltcher describes. Closed offers more power, that’s because there is some “wobble” with an open bridge for most people. But if you have a soft shot open offers the advantage of seeing directly over the shaft without the obstruction of the index finger.

For the 1st decade I shot I used closed only but the better I get the more I am using the open bridge. I have seen very good players who use either exclusively. I have also encountered students who can not form a closed bridge. The more I see and the longer I play the less important this seems (to me) to be.