PDA

View Full Version : A new game - spot the UPA grammatical errors!

Ross
09-05-2002, 04:10 PM
I'm not particularly fond of picking on the grammatical errors of others. However, for an organization that is trying to establish a professional image, the UPA certainly puts out some "majorly bad" writing! Grammatical errors and poor or totally incorrect word usages are scattered throughout their web site and their bulletin board posts. Some of the writing is so bad as to be laughable!

Here are some of my favorites from their postings and web site:

"UPA informs Behrman that retribution is expected for the money he took out." (I have recently come to see that the UPA is into retribution, but I'm pretty sure that even the UPA didn't mean to request "retribution." On second thought, maybe Barry took them at their word, and that is why he has been stringing them along! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif )

"UPA has given Behrman every chance there is possible..." (I guess "every chance possible" is too simple for such a professional organization.)

"The World rankings which have always been affected by the outcome of the U.S. Open .... will no longer be so." (Now that's a sentence that comes to a crashing end! And the ....'s are there in the original for unknown reasons. Are we to fill in the blanks so that the sentence is not such an abomination?)

"It will be deemed a 3 to 4 star event with an aura of prestige..." (An "aura of prestige"? I guess, in a pinch, that will do in place of actual prestige.)

"UPA informs Behrman that UPA is prepared to make alternate arrangements for the dates of the US Open to insure UPA Players have safe financial environment to compete in." (OK, minor nitpick: INSURE should be ENSURE.)

"The event must put 10% of advertised guarantee down to be a fixated event on UPA Calendar grace period exceptions can apply)" (A fixated event, huh? Not to mention the missing punctuation...)

"A UPA flyer of your event designed by our UPA Flyer Designer professionally done in color with committed UPA pros advertised on flyer." (Speaks for itself!)

"The Calendar Year Ranking will determine who gets invited to invitational events. For example, when the WPA asks for the top 10 US players, we will use the Calendar Year Rankings which will be current for the players who are doing well that current year, ..." (Good idea! I mean why bother updating the rankings for players that aren't doing so well. I think they are going for efficiency here.)

I could go on but there are so many errors I don't have the energy for it. Sheesh!

PQQLK9
09-05-2002, 04:25 PM
Maybe a Dukie? ...Hmmmm Go Terps! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Ken
09-05-2002, 08:00 PM
The UPAyours is a joke. I noticed the poor writing at their site also. It reminds me of the instruction pamphlets that are written by the Taiwanese manufacturers of cheap computer accessories.

I was willing to cut them some slack even after they blacklisted some selected tournaments but now I have seen proof that they have stooped to a boycott. I will boycott them forever, although I doubt they can survive much longer.
KenCT

Scott Lee
09-05-2002, 09:07 PM
Nick...How'd you KNOW? LOL I went to Ross's house after seeing you. Don't think all that grammar affects his pool game...if anything, it makes it stronger!

Scott

Vicki
09-05-2002, 11:32 PM
I'm sure glad someone else brought this up. I have never seen such horrible, unprofessional writing in all my life. I've been tempted, so, thank you, Ross, for having the balls to bring attention to this. Not only does the UPA need some serious PR help but they need elementry grammar lessons too. Sheesh...

Vicki

09-06-2002, 03:53 AM
Forget about the grammatical errors, even Bustamante's name was not spelled out properly.

Ross
09-06-2002, 08:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: PQQLK9:</font><hr> Maybe a Dukie? ...Hmmmm Go Terps! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif <hr></blockquote>
Yes, Nick, I'm from that Football Powerhouse, the Duke Blue Devils!

Ross ~ enjoying this brief oddity in history when Duke has a better football record (1-0) than the Terps /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Ross
09-06-2002, 08:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> Nick...How'd you KNOW? LOL I went to Ross's house after seeing you. Don't think all that grammar affects his pool game...if anything, it makes it stronger!

Scott <hr></blockquote>

Awww, shucks! /ccboard/images/icons/blush.gif

ted harris
09-06-2002, 12:59 PM
Dennis Barella ia Dennis Bolella.
Kim Papagorge is Tim Papageorge.