PDA

View Full Version : Republicans Party Of Cancer

Gayle in MD
01-07-2011, 10:55 AM
As China Roars, Pollution Reaches Deadly Extremes

BEIJING, Aug. 25 — No country in history has emerged as a major industrial power without creating a legacy of environmental damage that can take decades and big dollops of public wealth to undo.

But just as the speed and scale of China’s rise as an economic power have no clear parallel in history, so its pollution problem has shattered all precedents. Environmental degradation is now so severe, with such stark domestic and international repercussions, that pollution poses not only a major long-term burden on the Chinese public but also an acute political challenge to the ruling Communist Party. And it is not clear that China can rein in its own economic juggernaut.

Public health is reeling. Pollution has made cancer China’s leading cause of death, the Ministry of Health says. Ambient air pollution alone is blamed for hundreds of thousands of deaths each year. Nearly 500 million people lack access to safe drinking water.

Chinese cities often seem wrapped in a toxic gray shroud. Only 1 percent of the country’s 560 million city dwellers breathe air considered safe by the European Union. Beijing is frantically searching for a magic formula, a meteorological deus ex machina, to clear its skies for the 2008 Olympics.

Environmental woes that might be considered catastrophic in some countries can seem commonplace in China: industrial cities where people rarely see the sun; children killed or sickened by lead poisoning or other types of local pollution; a coastline so swamped by algal red tides that large sections of the ocean no longer sustain marine life.

China is choking on its own success. The economy is on a historic run, posting a succession of double-digit growth rates. But the growth derives, now more than at any time in the recent past, from a staggering expansion of heavy industry and urbanization that requires colossal inputs of energy, almost all from coal, the most readily available, and dirtiest, source.

“It is a very awkward situation for the country because our greatest achievement is also our biggest burden,” says Wang Jinnan, one of China’s leading environmental researchers. “There is pressure for change, but many people refuse to accept that we need a new approach so soon.”

China’s problem has become the world’s problem. Sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides spewed by China’s coal-fired power plants fall as acid rain on Seoul, South Korea, and Tokyo. Much of the particulate pollution over Los Angeles originates in China, according to the Journal of Geophysical Research.

More pressing still, China has entered the most robust stage of its industrial revolution, even as much of the outside world has become preoccupied with global warming.

Experts once thought China might overtake the United States as the world’s leading producer of greenhouse gases by 2010, possibly later. Now, the International Energy Agency has said China could become the emissions leader by the end of this year, and the Netherlands Environment Assessment Agency said China had already passed that level.

For the Communist Party, the political calculus is daunting. Reining in economic growth to alleviate pollution may seem logical, but the country’s authoritarian system is addicted to fast growth. Delivering prosperity placates the public, provides spoils for well-connected officials and forestalls demands for political change. A major slowdown could incite social unrest, alienate business interests and threaten the party’s rule.

But pollution poses its own threat. Officials blame fetid air and water for thousands of episodes of social unrest. Health care costs have climbed sharply. Severe water shortages could turn more farmland into desert. And the unconstrained expansion of energy-intensive industries creates greater dependence on imported oil and dirty coal, meaning that environmental problems get harder and more expensive to address the longer they are unresolved.

China’s leaders recognize that they must change course. They are vowing to overhaul the growth-first philosophy of the Deng Xiaoping era and embrace a new model that allows for steady growth while protecting the environment. In his equivalent of a State of the Union address this year, Prime Minister Wen Jiabao made 48 references to “environment,” “pollution” or “environmental protection.”

The government has numerical targets for reducing emissions and conserving energy. Export subsidies for polluting industries have been phased out. Different campaigns have been started to close illegal coal mines and shutter some heavily polluting factories. Major initiatives are under way to develop clean energy sources like solar and wind power. And environmental regulation in Beijing, Shanghai and other leading cities has been tightened ahead of the 2008 Olympics.

Next Page »

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/26/world/asia/26china.html

pooltchr
01-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Regarding the thread title, when did the Republicans take the majority in China?????????????

You will use any excuse to attack Republicans....and when you don't have one, you will make one up.

I don't recall ever meeting anyone who was filled with so much hate.

Steve

Chopstick
01-07-2011, 12:39 PM
<span style="color: #000099">I think Karl said it best when he told her to lay off the swamp water.</span>

LWW
01-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Jumping the shark again I see.

LWW

Stretch
01-07-2011, 12:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Regarding the thread title, when did the Republicans take the majority in China?????????????

You will use any excuse to attack Republicans....and when you don't have one, you will make one up.

Steve </div></div>

Meet Larry. St.

Gayle in MD
01-08-2011, 01:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stretch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Regarding the thread title, when did the Republicans take the majority in China?????????????

Steve </div></div>

Meet Larry. St. </div></div>

LOL, who cares what either of the twits write or think. The one you quote is a one trick pony. Contemplate any subject which is directly connected to idiotic Republican policies, and he pulls out his "Hate" accusations, even though he is one of the most hate spewing people here.

I'm not surprised the bubbas can't stand to acknowledge the obvious connections between pollution, our growing cancer rates, what we're observing in China as regards their declining health, and their growing industry, and growing cancer rates, and above all, lets be sure and ignore the Republican Party's policies, which push for more pollution, push against cleaner fuels, and push against regulations of the polluting corporate pigs, and obviously results in more cancer.

LOL, they'd probably rather think all of the dead fish and birds, are signs of the end times, too....they're already pushing that theory along...funny, I've never heard of such major disasters, in such a short time, and in such far ranging places.

One thing you can count on, not one of them read the entire article, and not one of them can debate without their usual snarking juvenile automatic emotional responses to anything, and everything, that doesn't support their RW mantras.

Nothing new about that.

Bah bah bah.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Gayle in MD
01-08-2011, 02:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #000099">I think Karl said it best when he told her to lay off the swamp water.</span> </div></div>

Karl got hopping mad, didn't he? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Wonder why? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I thought it was obvious why, he can't stand it when someone comes rigt out and tells him he is a liar, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif and a confirming source for treason. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

It it wasn't true, he wouldn't have gotten so pissy... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

I view the whole event with a great deal of pride.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
G.

LWW
01-08-2011, 04:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #000099">I think Karl said it best when he told her to lay off the swamp water.</span> </div></div>

G. </div></div>

Actually KR was laughing ... shall we link to the clip&gt;

I wonder why he was laughing?

Actually, I don't.

LWW

LWW
01-08-2011, 04:52 AM
Dearheart, I really could use a good chuckle to cheer me up.

Please edify us as to how the problems of Chinese pollution were caused by republicans.

This should be a real hoot.

LWW

Stretch
01-08-2011, 08:54 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stretch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Regarding the thread title, when did the Republicans take the majority in China?????????????

Steve </div></div>

LOL, who cares what either of the twits write or think. The one you quote is a one trick pony. Contemplate any subject which is directly connected to idiotic Republican policies, and he pulls out his "Hate" accusations, even though he is one of the most hate spewing people here.

I'm not surprised the bubbas can't stand to acknowledge the obvious connections between pollution, our growing cancer rates, what we're observing in China as regards their declining health, and their growing industry, and growing cancer rates, and above all, lets be sure and ignore the Republican Party's policies, which push for more pollution, push against cleaner fuels, and push against regulations of the polluting corporate pigs, and obviously results in more cancer.

LOL, they'd probably rather think all of the dead fish and birds, are signs of the end times, too....they're already pushing that theory along...funny, I've never heard of such major disasters, in such a short time, and in such far ranging places.

One thing you can count on, not one of them read the entire article, and not one of them can debate without their usual snarking juvenile automatic emotional responses to anything, and everything, that doesn't support their RW mantras.

Nothing new about that.

</div></div>

Nice recap Gayle. The fact that they all are obsessed with everything you do and say means you are on the right track. Their vulgar personal attacks are just the tip of the iceburge and a clear indication to all what everyone is in store for when and if they get their Earth and people killing hands in power again.

I'm glad you have the worst of them on ignor, it aint pretty. St.

pooltchr
01-08-2011, 10:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #000099">I think Karl said it best when he told her to lay off the swamp water.</span> </div></div>

I thought it was obvious why, he can't stand it when someone comes rigt out and tells him he is a liar, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif and a confirming source for treason. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

It it wasn't true, he wouldn't have gotten so pissy... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

I view the whole event with a great deal of pride.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
G. </div></div>

The fact that you actually take pride in your lame efforts to disrespect a public official shows us all just how little class you actually have. Of course, you are the first one to scream about the low class of the Tea Party when they get vocal at public events.

You didn't accomplish anything with your little outburst other than to show the world your a$$.

Steve

Steve

Gayle in MD
01-09-2011, 11:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stretch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stretch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Regarding the thread title, when did the Republicans take the majority in China?????????????

Steve </div></div>

Nothing new about that.

</div></div>

Nice recap Gayle. <span style="color: #CC0000">Thank you, friend. </span> The fact that they all are obsessed with everything you do and say means you are on the right track.

<span style="color: #990000">Their addiction to me posts proves how childish they are.

They think they can block me from my own right to post my opinions, by being filthy and attacking me, personally.

They know they can write anything, regardless of how illegal, or how filthy, and get away with it around here. </span>

Their vulgar personal attacks are just the tip of the iceburg and a clear indication to all what everyone is in store for when and if they get their Earth and people killing hands in power again.

<span style="color: #990000">Obviously. Republicans are in the hands of oil, and have been forever. How about the one who took up for and defended BP? Halliburton, right in the middle of the Gulf Oil spill, and claiming no responsibility.

Republicans have a long history of not caring about pollution, as is shown by their threats to do away with the EPA entirely. </span>

I'm glad you have the worst of them on ignor, it aint pretty. St. </div></div>

<span style="color: #990000">None of them are worth my time or attention. I don't associate with mentally challenged Bubbas, who latch onto the RW lies like sheep in heat.

Proof, has always been their enemy.

Pollution causes cancer, period. Republicans protect Polluters, and ALWAYS have, period.

The right votes against their own best interests, always have, always will. They're dumb.

They don't even care about how many of their own kids and grandkids will end up with cancer, becuase they vote for Republicans.

Republicans destroyed this country during the Bush Administration. I predicted it, as well as other of my like minded friends on here, you as well, and they sill try to deny it.

The lies they write on here got old for me, way back when I watched them suspend critical thinking skills, for Bush et al, even though it was obvious that Bush and the Republicans were detroying America.

We saw what they were throughout Bush's Administration. No recap of idiot Flyover Bubbas, is necessary. they would let Dick Cheney frack their whole families into Chemo, before they would re-consider their votes for cancer.

There are only two intelligent people on here from the right. I post and banter with both of them. The rest are a dim witted waste of time.

G.</span>

pooltchr
01-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Gayle. Of course you have every right to post your opinions.

Just don't be surprised when someone points out how ignorant you make yourself look when you do.

Steve

Sev
01-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Tsk Tsk. More name calling.

pooltchr
01-13-2011, 09:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tsk Tsk. More name calling. </div></div>

That's really all she has.

Steve

Sev
01-14-2011, 06:53 AM
And Babble.