PDA

View Full Version : How are Gilbert cues?

BrakenRun
09-05-2002, 04:40 PM
I have a chance to buy a really nice looking Gilbert break/jump cue for $250. It is a beautiful cue and is flawless in workmenship. Does anybody know anything about Gilbert cues? How do they hit, as in hard, medium or soft? Are they a durable cue? The work is outstanding. I would appreciate anything input by anybody that can give me info on this cue. Thanks and looking forward to your responses. Thanks, Kevin Clanton

Chris Cass
09-05-2002, 05:13 PM
Hi Kev,

Don't even think twice. Jump all over that cue. Anywhere you go a shaft costs well over a hundred, and your getting the whole cue. I had the opportunity to hit with one recently. You can't go wrong and if you want to sell it? You'll get your money back.

I'd say they hit pretty solid. It's a great cue.

C.C.

Cueless Joey
09-05-2002, 06:00 PM
It's junk. Buy it anyway and I'll trade you a Meucci with a Red Dot shaft.
Lemme know.

Rod
09-05-2002, 06:17 PM
Ha HA HA Joey are you still trying to peddle that thing? I have a name brand cue I might trade if you throw in something to boot. It's made by Harvard, it must be a smart cue! Cue is inlayed with veneer look material. 4 point's with a linnen feel wrap. The hit feels like a tuning fork so you get a hand massage with every shot! How can you go wrong, let me know.

Kevin, no playing experience here but it sounds like a good price. If you like the weight and balance then just use your favorite tip and you should like the hit.

ted harris
09-05-2002, 06:30 PM
Better get it, before it goes. They are awesome cues.

Cueless Joey
09-05-2002, 06:43 PM
Rod, I'll take the Harvard in a Fellini alligator case.
You get the Moochi and Coca-Cola break cue. It's already broken.

09-05-2002, 07:14 PM
The Gilbert Jump/Break cue you speak of is what he is most famous for. It is considered as one of the best (if not the single best) and most sought after jump/break cues on the market today - and as you say it is absolutely beautiful. He had a booth at the Valley Forge Expo and sold out of all his cues very quickly. I talked to him about ordering a number of these cues as a dealer, and the waiting list to get them was something like 6 months. He sells them as fast as he can make them, so he doesn't discount them much even for dealers. I'm sure you wouldn't go wrong buying one from a functional standpoint as well as an investment - you should never have a problem selling it. Offhand I can't recall the wholesale or retail price. It's certainly not a cheap cue, and the price you quoted sounds about right if it's in good condition. - Chris in NC

Sid_Vicious
09-05-2002, 11:18 PM
I've bragged on my BJ Gilbert ever since I bought it, and I paid $300 used with 2 shafts. The damn thing made every ball by itself, and I use it as a play cue, not a break or jump cue(it really kinda sucks for jumping.) I'm not sure about the rumor but I heard shortly after I bought mine for 3 hundred that the cue would sell new for that much. I wouldn't sell mine today for what I paid for it, that tells you how much I like this particular stick...sid~~~you gotta love his points...buy the cue sv

BrakenRun
09-06-2002, 10:25 AM
Thanks for all the help everybody. I am going to get the cue. Sounds like a good deal and can always get Joey to swap a Moooochi Red dot for it! (Yeah, Right!) Good try Joey! LOL Kevin

Cueless Joey
09-06-2002, 10:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: BrakenRun:</font><hr> Thanks for all the help everybody. I am going to get the cue. Sounds like a good deal and can always get Joey to swap a Moooochi Red dot for it! (Yeah, Right!) Good try Joey! LOL Kevin <hr></blockquote>
Aw, come on. I'll throw in a dozen Mary Kay Infierno Red lipstick. You can dot the shaft anywhere you want. You can use the tubing for ferrules later too.

BillPorter
09-06-2002, 05:36 PM
Ted,

About a year ago I posted a question about Mike Capone's cues. I was impressed that you, a cue maker, gave such a generous compliment about Mike's cues. (Yes, I know, you two are friends, but still.....) And now you offer another generous compliment about a competitor's cues...Pretty classy, I'd say!

ted harris
09-06-2002, 10:35 PM
Bill,
Being out on the road fixing almost every kind of cue and working through the problems encountered was a real experience, and was instrumental in learning what makes a great cue. In turn, that makes it easy to identify a great cue when I see one. And that is what Andy Gilbert's cues are...fabulous!.(period)
Thanks for the kind words.

09-06-2002, 11:12 PM
Ted,
I'd like to contribute a compliment and a thankyou to you as well. At the Chelmsford Joss Tour event a few months ago, I came to your booth to ask about getting some nicks removed from my Gilbert cue. The cue was signed so you said to spead to Gilbert before giving you the cue so the signature issue (Gilbert cues are signed) could be worked out. I remember a comment you made..."Gilbert cues are beautiful". I'll never forget that. You, dude, are a classy guy. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
PoolMouse

DEADSTOKE32
09-08-2002, 08:24 AM
OK NOW .WE ALL ARE TALLKING ABOUT ANDY GILBERT .AND LET ME BE THE ONE TO SAY THIS AND WILL ALWAYS SAY THIS .ANDY GILBERT IS A GREAT GUY,HE MAKES GREAT Q'S.AND THEY PLAY GREAT .IT'S THE ONLY CUE I'LL EVER PLAY WITH .I'VE BEEN PLAYING WITH GILIBERT Q'S FROM 99 TILL NOW .IT'S JUST A GREAT CUE .IF YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO IS LOOK 2 SALE ONE JUST DROP ME A NOTE HERE AND I 'LL BE 2 GLAD 2 TAKE IT OF THERE HAND'S .
ART CEE FROM GA ...................