PDA

View Full Version : Govt forces homeless to go hungry!

LWW
01-15-2011, 04:54 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bobby and Amanda Herring spent more than a year providing food to homeless people in downtown Houston every day. They fed them, left behind no trash and doled out warm meals peacefully without a single crime being committed, Bobby Herring said.

That ended two weeks ago when the city shut down their "Feed a Friend" effort for lack of a permit. And city officials say the couple most likely will not be able to obtain one.

"We don't really know what they want, we just think that they don't want us down there feeding people," said Bobby Herring, a Christian rapper who goes by the stage name Tre9.

Anyone serving food for public consumption, whether for the homeless or for sale, must have a permit, said Kathy Barton, a spokeswoman for the Health and Human Services Department. To get that permit, the food must be prepared in a certified kitchen with a certified food manager.

The regulations are all the more essential in the case of the homeless, Barton said, because "poor people are the most vulnerable to foodborne illness and also are the least likely to have access to health care."

Bobby Herring said those rules would preclude them from continuing to feed the 60 to 120 people they assisted nightly for more than a year. The food had been donated from area businesses and prepared in various kitchens by volunteers or by his wife.

He and his wife became involved in the effort several years ago, when she would take leftover food from work to the homeless downtown. From there, it expanded into a full-time effort for her working through Eyes on Me, the Herrings' nonprofit organization that focuses on Christian-themed youth outreach efforts.
Nearly every day last year, they distributed food prepared or donated by volunteers or local stores at 6 p.m. at the corner of Commerce and San Jacinto, near the Harris County Jail, Bobby Herring said.
Looking for new solution

On Nov. 8, they were approached by Houston police officers and asked to provide food at another location under an overpass at Commerce and Travis streets adjacent to Buffalo Bayou, he recalled.

They were happy to move to the new location and continued to provide food there until Dec. 30, when a park ranger and two police officers told them they would have to stop until they could obtain a permit.

Because the new area to which they had moved is on city park land, they need permission and permits from both the parks department and health department.
Because city ordinances would prevent them from obtaining the needed permit, Bobby Herring said he is hoping to find a new solution, perhaps working through a church with a permit or finding a downtown location that would allow them to continue to help the homeless.

Amanda Herring said she was frustrated at the city's sudden stance.
"I'm just really sad," she said. "I can't believe for a year we were right out in the open and never had anybody tell us to leave, to stop, to tell us it was wrong. I'm blindsided with it." </div></div> The cold, cruel hand of the state strikes again! (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7381016.html)

LWW

Qtec
01-15-2011, 05:45 AM
Like you care.

Q

LWW
01-15-2011, 06:09 AM
Obviously you don't.

FYI I work several times a year helping the homeless and disadvantaged.

The folks who do so locally are about 99% religious and about 100% right wing.

The leftists all wonder "WHY DOESN'T SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING?" but will never actually do anything.

Leftists, in general, hate conservatives because they will do willingly what a leftist will usually only do when forced by the bayonet of the state at it's back.

You have made yet another vile and personal statement on something about which you know zero.

LWW

Sev
01-15-2011, 06:43 AM
More government excellence in action.

How can Michelle allow this to happen in what is obviously a food desert????

How many innocent deprived people will have to starve to death because of this type of inhumanity to our fellow man???

LWW
01-15-2011, 07:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like you care.

Q </div></div>

And you have the nerve to call someone a troll ...

LWW

Sev
01-15-2011, 08:22 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

Stretch
01-15-2011, 10:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>FYI I work several times a year helping the homeless and disadvantaged.

LWW [/quote] <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

That's very Liberal of you. St.

Sev
01-15-2011, 11:21 AM
HHHAHA!!!
I think "Thats mighty white of you" would have been better.

LWW
01-15-2011, 02:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stretch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>FYI I work several times a year helping the homeless and disadvantaged.

LWW </div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

That's very Liberal of you. St.

[/quote]

That's very human of me, and yes I'm a liberal.

That is a completely different animal from a leftist.

I believe the state should stay as small as possible and people should do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

Statists believe the state should make everyone do what they think is the right thing to do ... but they know they won't do it unless they are forced to.

LWW

Sev
01-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Its quite amazing that they have legislated against the good samaritan that wishes to aid the needy.

I guess dumpster diving for food is safer than an home cooked meal.

LWW
01-16-2011, 04:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its quite amazing that they have legislated against the good samaritan that wishes to aid the needy.

I guess dumpster diving for food is safer than an home cooked meal. </div></div>

They can't let it be seen that as a community we actually have people ... almost exclusively religious and/or conservative ... who will aid their fellow man in time of need simply because the better part of their soul wishes it to be done.

They believe that only the state can ... using it's cold, cruel, and uncaring hand ... deliver any measure of mercy.

LWW

Qtec
01-16-2011, 05:56 AM
What's the right thing?

The Nat deficit is too high.
The Nat Debt is rising.
Lets cut the spending.

Then they hold the whole country hostage because they want to borrow 800 Billion, put it on the CC and give that money to those who don't need it , ie the top 2% .

Now they want people t work longer because of the Wall St fraud while Wall St is back handing out massive bonus's and patting themselves on the back because of saps like you.

Q

Sev
01-16-2011, 07:18 AM
ANd this has what to do with feeding the homeless and interfering with the efforts of good samaritans?

eg8r
01-16-2011, 10:07 AM
LOL, qtip doesn't even follow his own directions. Maybe if we made the font larger for him he could better understand what he is supposed to do.

eg8r

LWW
01-16-2011, 10:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the right thing?

Q

</div></div>

If you would reject the spoon you would know.

LWW

pooltchr
01-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Q is just like Gee...if someone they don't like says anything, they immediately go on the attack, even if they know what was said is correct.

Government regulations that stand in the way of helping our fellow man is complete insanity. I can't make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and give it to someone who is homeless and hungry???????? WTF is wrong with these people???????????

Steve

LWW
01-16-2011, 11:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> WTF is wrong with these people???????????

Steve </div></div>

Where to begin???????????

LWW

Chopstick
01-16-2011, 11:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the right thing?

The Nat deficit is too high.
The Nat Debt is rising.
Lets cut the spending.

</div></div>

<span style="color: #000099">It is beyond right and wrong. It is what is and is not. There is no more money. In 15 years, the interest on the national debt will exceed all federal revenues. If you taxed all rich people at 100% it would run the federal government for one day. Have you looked at the debt clock lately. It has accelerated noticeably. It now takes less than one minute to increase a million dollars. Do the math. There is no tax rate that is going to outrun that.

At what level of income do you think a person should be stripped of their basic human rights? There are solutions. As long as people keep chanting the simpleton take from the rich mantra, they are never going to see them. </span>

Sev
01-16-2011, 05:10 PM
They wont get it until the rich have abandoned ship.