PDA

View Full Version : Oops. Chris Christie

Chopstick
01-16-2011, 05:31 AM
<span style="color: #000099">I like this guy but he just learned a lesson about politics. He was in a town hall meeting and he says that health care costs are going to bankrupt the state. Well, that morning, New Jersey is having their muni bond offering at the same time as the town hall meeting. Picture this. A bunch of bond dealers are in a room making bids on this bond issue and news flash. There is the governor of the state on TV saying the state is going to go bankrupt.

Well, I guess that room emptied out in a hell of a hurry because they canceled the offering.

LOL

Bonehead /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif </span>

Sev
01-16-2011, 06:57 AM
Ouch.
The truth can be a dangerous thing when offer at the wrong time.

Chopstick
01-16-2011, 10:28 AM
<span style="color: #000099">They are trying to say it was a coincidence because the muni market has been tough lately. I don't think so. There are news feeds available that will alert you about what anyone says about anything two seconds after they said it and send it to your cell phone.</span>

Sev
01-16-2011, 05:00 PM
I wonder if Q blames the apps??

Soflasnapper
01-17-2011, 04:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #000099">They are trying to say it was a coincidence because the muni market has been tough lately. I don't think so. There are news feeds available that will alert you about what anyone says about anything two seconds after they said it and send it to your cell phone.</span> </div></div>

Actually, I find the excusing of Christie probably correct in this case, and I say that as not any supporter of his.

What he said didn't help, of course, but I don't think it was the cause. The cause was already baked into the cake, and had already happened on prior bond auctions.

Because it COULD be portrayed the way you think it was (since that kinda makes sense), he probably shouldn't have said that at least as to the timing. But I'm fairly convinced by the coverage I've seen that there was only a slight effect if any from his remarks, and that he did not in any major way cause this result.

Sev
01-18-2011, 06:39 AM
Well it looks like there is a move to prevent the federal government from bailing out states that go bankrupt. Christie better stay on course.