PDA

View Full Version : O'Reilly shows his ignorance....BIG TIME

Qtec
01-16-2011, 06:10 AM
...what a moron.

link (http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/bill-oreilly-thinks-tides-are-proof-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> O'REILLY: I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam, in my opinion: <span style='font-size: 17pt'>tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that.</span> <span style="color: #CC0000">LOL </span>

SILVERMAN: Tide goes in, tide goes out?

O'REILLY: See, the water, the tide comes in and it goes out, Mr. Silverman. It always comes in, and always goes out. You can't explain that. </div></div>

LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, yes, Bill, we can explain that. Quite scientifically and quite precisely, in fact. From Wikipedia:

Tides are the rise and fall of sea levels caused by the combined effects of the gravitational forces exerted by the Moon and the Sun and the rotation of the Earth. </div></div>

Q..what a moron.......and the RW LOVE him........what a surprise.

Sev
01-16-2011, 07:27 AM
Yah that was pretty dumb.
He must have missed class that day.

eg8r
01-16-2011, 10:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, yes, Bill, we can explain that. Quite scientifically and quite precisely, in fact. From Wikipedia:
</div></div>LOL qtip shows his ignorance by quoting Wikipedia as a scientific source.

What a moron.

eg8r

Chopstick
01-16-2011, 10:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> combined effects of the gravitational forces exerted by the Moon and the Sun and the rotation of the Earth. </div></div>
</div></div>

<span style="color: #000099">OK. Explain that. Quantum forces and the fabric of space time? OK. Explain that. The universe is infinite. Therefore the explanation of it or any part of it is also infinite. However, this does not prove or disprove the existence of God. The Tao is older than God.</span>

sack316
01-16-2011, 01:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Tides are the rise and fall of sea levels caused by the combined effects of the gravitational forces exerted by the Moon and the Sun and the rotation of the Earth. </div></div>

</div></div>

Explain all that. Your quote here, while accurate and indeed the correct answer, is only a portion of a scientific explanation. Explain the rest. for example, how is the unique gravitational force of each body of mass mentioned so intricately balanced and aligned perfectly as to achieve this? The phenomena of something such as the tides is a form of 'chaos' (so to speak) but a very organized form of chaos. With the slightest tip of the scale... a slight change in rotation, a small rotation of Earth off its axis, a tiny change in gravitational force anywhere, etc. what was a natural tide as we know it becomes a great daily flooding over X amount of land. What scientifically created order out of such potential chaos?

Sack

cushioncrawler
01-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Science explains nothing really. I mean -- what iz gravity????? -- what iz mass?????

Best we all fall to our knees -- and hold out hands together -- and bow our heads and shut our eyes wheely wheely hard -- and mumble lots of prayers to Allmighty God.
Yes, that shood fix things ok.
At least it makes us all feel wheely wheely good.

Which bit feels best for u?????
I like the bit where u shut your eyes wheely wheely hard -- feels nice -- i kood allmost cry.
mac.

Sev
01-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Better yet. Explain why gravity actually exists.

Soflasnapper
01-16-2011, 08:05 PM
sack, consider the reason and timing of the eclipses. These are also subject to your objection that we do not know the nature of gravity, why it has the 'G' (gravitational constant) where it is, and a whole host of deeper questions.

Still, we know that it's when there is an occultation (the earth blocking the sun's rays from the moon by interposition, or the moon blocking the sun's rays from the earth the same way), and these can be precisely predicted to the millisecond as to timing, beginning and ending.

In my view, it is correct to say we understand eclipses, despite the lingering ignorance of the deeper issues involved. Similarly, we know about the mechanisms, timing and magnitude of the tides, despite significant questions about far more basic questions.

So O'Reilly may have had a point, but his example was way off base, and well earned the ridicule it's receiving.

sack316
01-16-2011, 09:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sack, consider the reason and timing of the eclipses. These are also subject to your objection that we do not know the nature of gravity, why it has the 'G' (gravitational constant) where it is, and a whole host of deeper questions.

Still, we know that it's when there is an occultation (the earth blocking the sun's rays from the moon by interposition, or the moon blocking the sun's rays from the earth the same way), and these can be precisely predicted to the millisecond as to timing, beginning and ending.

In my view, it is correct to say we understand eclipses, despite the lingering ignorance of the deeper issues involved. Similarly, we know about the mechanisms, timing and magnitude of the tides, despite significant questions about far more basic questions.

So O'Reilly may have had a point, but his example was way off base, and well earned the ridicule it's receiving. </div></div>

Well put. Indeed there are many things which we understand yet cannot FULLY explain. Personally I am both for science and religion... and think it ignorant for either side to think one can be fully independent of the other. But that's a deep statement of which I don't have time to fully get into right now. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack

Qtec
01-17-2011, 05:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">However, this does not prove or disprove the existence of God. </div></div>

Its not meant to. Bill seemed to imply that why the tide goes in and out is a mystery, its not.

You guys are reacting like the Vatican did when some guy said, "Actually, the Earth isn't the centre of the Universe. The Earth revolves around the sun."

Q

LWW
01-17-2011, 06:14 AM
How little you understand of science.

The Earth IS at the center of the universe, and I can prove it through the scientific method.

LWW

Sev
01-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Should I run out and get popcorn???

Stretch
01-17-2011, 10:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How little you understand of science.

The Earth IS at the center of the universe, and I can prove it through the scientific method.

LWW </div></div>

Oh Boy! The universe according to LWW. I can hardly wait.....NOT. St.

Sev
01-17-2011, 10:32 AM
I know your on the edge of your seat. The curiosity is killing you.

Chopstick
01-17-2011, 01:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">However, this does not prove or disprove the existence of God. </div></div>

Its not meant to. Bill seemed to imply that why the tide goes in and out is a mystery, its not.

You guys are reacting like the Vatican did when some guy said, "Actually, the Earth isn't the centre of the Universe. The Earth revolves around the sun."

Q </div></div>

I find your implication that an individual with a Masters degree from Harvard would be ignorant of the moons gravitational effect on the tides rather than referring to a deeper philosophical question to be unlikely.

On the other hand he did not know that Thelma Lou was not Andy's girlfriend.

Jon Stewart busts Bill O (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJNmHTVjFCA)

And there is Obama, Harvard Graduate and editor of the Harvard law review who now thinks he is the commander in chief of the Marine Corpse.

What's up with Harvard?

cushioncrawler
01-17-2011, 05:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Better yet. Explain why gravity actually exists.</div></div>Sev -- Thats not a good question. We exist bekoz of gravity -- without gravity we wouldnt be.
But putting it another way -- what iz gravity?? -- that aint gonna be answered for a long long time.
Oh -- just remembered -- there aint no such thing az time -- so my answer aint a good answer neither.
mac.

Sev
01-18-2011, 06:43 AM
Time is a concept not a dimension argument?

cushioncrawler
01-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Lynds of new zealand explains that there iz no such thing az time -- ie no such thing az universal time -- hencely Einstein iz nowhere -- and that notions of time being a dimension etc are krapp science, ie making 99.99999% of sciencers krapp sciencers, inklooding of course Hawking.
And, it means that time iz linked to consciousness and viceversa (not sure if lynds sayd that).

I think that Rybczyk of new york sinks Einstein allso -- re time etc. Plus at least 4 other sciencers hav prooven Einstein wrong with measurements.

And, in regard to G -- this iz bullshit too. All konstants are krapp -- they simply show that we dont know what the exakt equation iz -- and we dont know what the equation iz koz we dont know or even suspekt what sort of things are out there.
Me, myself, i beleev in aether theory -- everything iz due to aether -- they kan stick their string theorys up the arseholes (alltho aether and string dont necessaryly kontradikt).
mac.

Soflasnapper
01-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Me, myself, i beleev in aether theory -- everything iz due to aether

I lean to that myself. The Michelson-Morley experiment did NOT yield a null result, although it's always claimed it did.

Soflasnapper
01-18-2011, 07:00 PM
I find your implication that an individual with a Masters degree from Harvard would be ignorant of the moons gravitational effect on the tides rather than referring to a deeper philosophical question to be unlikely.

And there is Obama, Harvard Graduate and editor of the Harvard law review who now thinks he is the commander in chief of the Marine Corpse.

What's up with Harvard? [/quote]

You need to have been in a science curriculum at some level to understand the deal with tides. They don't have time for physics basics in a graduate program that specializes in one particular subject.

I have no idea why O didn't know how to pronounce corps right. But again, he was in the graduate program there as well (in law).

Sev
01-18-2011, 07:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lynds of new zealand explains that there iz no such thing az time -- ie no such thing az universal time -- hencely Einstein iz nowhere -- and that notions of time being a dimension etc are krapp science, ie making 99.99999% of sciencers krapp sciencers, inklooding of course Hawking.
And, it means that time iz linked to consciousness and viceversa (not sure if lynds sayd that).

I think that Rybczyk of new york sinks Einstein allso -- re time etc. Plus at least 4 other sciencers hav prooven Einstein wrong with measurements.

And, in regard to G -- this iz bullshit too. All konstants are krapp -- they simply show that we dont know what the exakt equation iz -- and we dont know what the equation iz koz we dont know or even suspekt what sort of things are out there.
Me, myself, i beleev in aether theory -- everything iz due to aether -- they kan stick their string theorys up the arseholes (alltho aether and string dont necessaryly kontradikt).
mac. </div></div>

There are also theories that it is thought that shapes existence. Reality is nothing more than a byproduct of thought.

cushioncrawler
01-19-2011, 03:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me, myself, i beleev in aether theory -- everything iz due to aether

I lean to that myself. The Michelson-Morley experiment did NOT yield a null result, although it's always claimed it did. </div></div>Yes i think that M-M were the first -- and in the modern era its eezy, uzing hi-tek gear, to see that the speed of light depends on the sidereal day.
Even Einstein hizself sayd that if there woz a relationship tween the speed of light and sidereal time then all hiz theory woz nowhere.
This Einstein stuff iz the biggest lie in science today.
mac.

LWW
01-19-2011, 03:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know your on the edge of your seat. The curiosity is killing you. </div></div>

He never thinks things through ... if he did he would realize that the Earth is demonstrably the center of the universe.

LWW

cushioncrawler
01-19-2011, 04:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are also theories that it is thought that shapes existence. Reality is nothing more than a byproduct of thought.</div></div>Thinking -- memory -- consciousness -- theze will allways be a puzzle for science.

mac's best pickup line.

Qtec
01-19-2011, 05:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know your on the edge of your seat. The curiosity is killing you. </div></div>

He never thinks things through ... if he did he would realize that <u>the Earth is demonstrably the center of the universe.</u>

LWW </div></div>

<u>As are all planets according to your theory.</u>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In other words, although the standard Big Bang models describe an expanding universe with <span style='font-size: 20pt'>no centre,</span> and this is consistent with all observations, there is still a possibility that these models are not accurate on scales larger than we can observe. We still have no real answer to the question "Where is the centre of the universe?". </div></div>

Antway, I never said the Earth or the Sun was the centre of the universe.

It went over your head but when I said ,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You guys are reacting like the Vatican did when some guy said, "Actually, the Earth isn't the centre of the Universe.</div></div>

I was commenting on the reaction of the Church. They saw this as an attack on their faith and their idea that everything in the Universe exists because of <u>us</u>.

You may claim that the Earth is the centre of the Universe [ if there is one] but you can't prove it.

Q

LWW
01-19-2011, 05:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know your on the edge of your seat. The curiosity is killing you. </div></div>

He never thinks things through ... if he did he would realize that <u>the Earth is demonstrably the center of the universe.</u>

LWW </div></div>

<u>As are all planets according to your theory.</u>

Q </div></div>

And?

LWW

LWW
01-19-2011, 05:56 AM

Antway, I never said the Earth or the Sun was the centre of the universe.

It went over your head but when I said ,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You guys are reacting like the Vatican did when some guy said, "Actually, the Earth isn't the centre of the Universe.</div></div>

I was commenting on the reaction of the Church. They saw this as an attack on their faith and their idea that everything in the Universe exists because of <u>us</u>.

Q </div></div>

Not sure what an antway is ... and I don't know of any religion that believes the universe exists because of us.

Do you?

LWW

LWW
01-19-2011, 05:57 AM
You may claim that the Earth is the centre of the Universe [ if there is one] but you can't prove it.

Q </div></div>

Are you now questioning that there is a universe?

And, yes, I can prove it.

LWW

Sev
01-19-2011, 07:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are also theories that it is thought that shapes existence. Reality is nothing more than a byproduct of thought.</div></div>Thinking -- memory -- consciousness -- theze will allways be a puzzle for science.
Want a fuck????
mac's best pickup line. </div></div>

Followed by.

Well I guess a blowjob is definitely out of the question then?

Chopstick
01-19-2011, 11:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How little you understand of science.

LWW </div></div>

I would like to hear that. Please proceed.

Sev
01-20-2011, 06:53 AM
Elementary my dear Chopstick.

If the universe is infinite in all directions then any point can be considered the center of the universe.

LWW
01-20-2011, 07:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Elementary my dear Chopstick.

If the universe is infinite in all directions then any point can be considered the center of the universe.
</div></div>

<u><span style='font-family: Arial Black'><span style='font-size: 26pt'>*DING*</span></span></u>

LWW

Sev
01-20-2011, 07:16 AM
Thank you. Thank you very much.

Stretch
01-20-2011, 08:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Elementary my dear Chopstick.

</div></div>

With the exception of LWW who is just to the right of infinity....St.

LWW
01-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Please ... do not use words you don't understand the meaning of.

LWW

Stretch
01-20-2011, 08:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please ... do not use words you don't understand the meaning of.

LWW </div></div>

Oh no! It's the word police!! Oh please Mr. perfect, cut me some slack. St.

Gayle in MD
01-20-2011, 08:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...what a moron.

link (http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/bill-oreilly-thinks-tides-are-proof-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> O'REILLY: I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam, in my opinion: <span style='font-size: 17pt'>tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that.</span> <span style="color: #CC0000">LOL </span>

O'REILLY: See, the water, the tide comes in and it goes out, Mr. Silverman. It always comes in, and always goes out. You can't explain that. </div></div>

LOL

Q..what a moron.......and the RW LOVE him........what a surprise. </div></div>

LOL, yes, they love O'Reilly, the unindicted co-conspirator of the killer of a doctor, and they love Bachmann, Palin, Beck, Rush. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif Two female opportunist Nutjobs, An X Akie/druggie. An X druggie, and then there is O'Reilly, a sexual predator, who sexually harrassed one of his producers, and uses the line, "No spin zone" and "Keeping them honest" LMAO.

Oh, such brilliance!

LWW
01-20-2011, 09:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stretch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please ... do not use words you don't understand the meaning of.

LWW </div></div>

Oh no! It's the word police!! Oh please Mr. perfect, cut me some slack. St. </div></div>

I cut slack to those who have earned it.

LWW

Sev
01-20-2011, 09:24 AM
I cant help but notice the return of jibbering nonsense.

Chopstick
01-20-2011, 09:52 AM

</div></div>

<span style="color: #000099">I thought it would be something like that. It reminds me of a logic puzzle I once thought of. If the universe is infinite and you were to hold a string or draw a line that extended from your hand and stretched to infinity then doesn't that mean that infinity has an end? You are holding the end in your hand.

The same logic would apply to the universe having a center.</span>

Stretch
01-20-2011, 10:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stretch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please ... do not use words you don't understand the meaning of.

LWW </div></div>

Oh no! It's the word police!! Oh please Mr. perfect, cut me some slack. St. </div></div>

I cut slack to those who have earned it.

LWW </div></div>

And i show respect for those who have earned it. St.

bobroberts
01-20-2011, 12:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...what a moron.

LOL

Q..what a moron.......and the RW LOVE him........what a surprise. </div></div>

One day you will be dying and you will pray. No matter if your an atheist or religious if you know your dying for sure you will pray. Science can explain a lot but it can't explain everything.
Besides as far as O'reilly i will match his brain power against your's anytime and give you 2 to 1 he is smarter and more knowledgeable in more areas of expertise then you ever have been.
BTW did you graduate Harvard? What do you do for a living/ What do you do besides bloviate.

Sev
01-20-2011, 06:16 PM
That might to much information Bob.