PDA

View Full Version : Ron Reagan Says Reagan Had Alzheimer's While Pres.

Gayle in MD
01-20-2011, 10:41 AM
http://www.politicsdaily.com/2011/01/14/...s-while-presid/ (http://www.politicsdaily.com/2011/01/14/ron-reagan-jr-says-father-may-have-had-alzheimers-while-presid/)

Ron Reagan Jr. Says Father May Have Had Alzheimer's While President

Ron Reagan Jr. kept his silence all these years, letting sister Patti take the spotlight when it came to analyzing their parents. But now he's caught up with a book titled, "My Father at 100," timed to coincide with the centennial next month of President Reagan's birth.

I covered the Reagan White House and reported on the First Family's strained relations with their adult children. Ron Jr. is candid about his conflicted relationship with his father, writing in an excerpt featured in Sunday's issue of Parade: "He was easy to love but hard to know. You couldn't help wondering sometimes whether he remembered you once you were out of his sight." It's an assessment that the other Reagan children have voiced, with oldest son Michael recounting how his father didn't seem to differentiate him from his peers at his high school graduation. Daughter Patti Davis has written that her parents were so tight in their love for each other, it's almost as though there was no room for their children.

The most stunning revelation that Ron Jr. makes is his suspicion that his father entered the early stages of Alzheimer's disease long before it was made public. "Three years into his first term as president, I felt the first shivers of concern that something beyond mellowing was affecting my father," he writes, explaining they had always enjoyed vigorous argument, and Ron, an outspoken liberal, relished the give and take. But Reagan wasn't as sharp as he had once been, and Nancy told her son to back off, that he was making his father feel stupid.

"I didn't want my father to feel stupid," Ron writes. "If he was going to shoulder massive responsibility, I wanted him to feel on top of his game. If he was going to fulfill his duties as president, he would have to be . . . I don't want to give the impression that my father was mumbling incoherently during this or any period. But by the time he turned 76, he had survived a near-fatal shooting and surgery for colon cancer. As old men will, he'd learned to conserve his energy for crucial moments."
Suspicion that Reagan might have Alzheimer's surfaced during the 1984 election when he lost his train of thought in his first debate with Democrat Walter Mondale. But he recovered in the second debate when he jokingly promised he wouldn't exploit his opponent's youth and inexperience. It wasn't until well after Reagan had left office that he revealed in a poignant handwritten letter to the country that he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.
Ron believes if Reagan had gotten that diagnosis earlier, say in 1987, that he would have stepped down. We'll never know, but having covered the Reagan White House and witnessed the protective cocoon around the president, I'm not so sure that those who loved and believed in him would have allowed his presidency to end prematurely on that note. I do remember the whispers about his occasional lapses, and there was an event at the Reagans' ranch in Santa Barbara when the president was asked a question and Nancy Reagan in a stage whisper prompted him with his reply.

<span style="color: #990000">I always thought the same, and I don't buy for one moment, that both Reagan and Nancy, knew it at the time.

Imagine Nancy Reagan, not noticing, or not having him tested???

Both scenarios, would have been impossible, IMO.</span>

Soflasnapper
01-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Suspicion that Reagan might have Alzheimer's surfaced during the 1984 election when he lost his train of thought in his first debate with Democrat Walter Mondale. But he recovered in the second debate when he jokingly promised he wouldn't exploit his opponent's youth and inexperience.

That second debate showed what a lie the claim of a liberal media was even at that date.

Because Reagan told a canned, scripted and rehearsed 'joke' that was well-received, and suffered no 'knock downs,' he was said to have 'won' and the Gipper was BACK! The judgment was that he won by at least tieing with Mondale.

Problem: Reagan blew his peroration, his closing remarks.

The stakes could not have been higher. His first debate performance was dreadful, prompting doubts about his competency never entertained by the public at large. He had to show he still functioned mentally, and a repeat failed performance would show he did not. He performed fairly well, until the end.

For his peroration, he chose to reprise the speech he had delivered flawlessly at the renomination convention just a month or so before. It described a road trip along US Highway 1, the Pacific Coast Highway, and it invoked Americana all along the way, through the small towns and the sights one could see along their main streets.

Reagan got lost on US 1. He had a set time frame to complete his speech, and by that time was reached, I think he was still in San Jose or something. He never wrapped it up to close the speech, and the moderator had to call times up. He protested slightly, then demurred.

He was crestfallen and dejected. The old trouper had failed at his specialty communication, the set speech, which he had always absolutely nailed whenever that was called for on past occasions.

In speaking, it is generally agreed the opening is the most important thing, and the closing is next in importance. He failed to even get to the closing part.

Yet this spectacular face plant failure, which everybody in the country saw, was omitted from the post-debate commentariat. They talked about the 'clever' (scripted) joke instead, and called Reagan the 'winner' because he hadn't lost.

About two years later, Don Regan was replaced as Chief of Staff with former Republican Senate Majority Leader Howard Baker in the aftermath of the Iran/Contra scandal's breaking. Baker has since written that his first order of business was to determine whether he should seek the removal of Reagan from the office of president under the terms of the 25th Amendment because of the widespread sentiment in the WH staff itself that he had become mentally incompetent. (He refused to come downstairs from the living quarters, staying up there to watch old movie reruns.)

When Reagan perked up a bit and told some old Hollywood jokes in a meeting, Baker decided he was back on his game.

So, twice, Reagan's mental capacity was proven by jokes, appropriately, because it was a joke.

eg8r
01-20-2011, 01:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Problem: Reagan blew his peroration, his closing remarks.
</div></div>What is the purpose of using the word "peroration" and then giving a quick definition? We are using the internet to read your post, it is quite easy to access an online dictionary if someone doesn't recognize the words being used.

So back to the subject, the jokes never proved anything it just solidified your guess a little more in your own mind. Reagan's family coming out and telling people he was suffering is the only thing that has proven any of his ailments.

eg8r

Sev
01-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Nothing like his Ron Jr. trying to capitalize on his fathers ailment.

Soflasnapper
01-20-2011, 10:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Problem: Reagan blew his peroration, his closing remarks.
</div></div>What is the purpose of using the word "peroration" and then giving a quick definition? We are using the internet to read your post, it is quite easy to access an online dictionary if someone doesn't recognize the words being used.

eg8r </div></div>

Good point. An excess of pedantry, .

That hardly ranks with my worst writing problems, however!

LWW
01-21-2011, 04:38 AM
A - What are Ron Jr's medical qualifications.

B - Ron Jr has since backpedaled on the statement.

C - The left's best case scenario is that an Alzheimer's patient kicked the arse of the brightest mind the democrooks could muster to run in opposition.

The far left seems to have no end to it's hate.

LWW

Qtec
01-21-2011, 06:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ron Jr has since backpedaled on the statement. </div></div>

LINK?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The far left seems to have no end to it's hate.

LWW </div></div>

RR Jr is now the far Left! LMAO

Q

Sev
01-21-2011, 07:51 AM
Pedantry aye?

Hmmmmm.

Sheldon is that you?

Stretch
01-21-2011, 08:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ron Jr has since backpedaled on the statement. </div></div>

LINK?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The far left seems to have no end to it's hate.

LWW </div></div>

:), LWW's motto is "never let the truth stand in the way of a good spin". St.

Q </div></div>

Sev
01-21-2011, 09:38 AM
It is fairly well known that Ron Jr was not very enchanted with his father or his adopted brother.

Qtec
01-21-2011, 09:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is fairly well known </div></div>

Yeah, thought so.

Q

Sev
01-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Thought so what?
Jr was quite vocal to his opposition to his father over the years. Now that the man is dead perhaps he has regrets or is merely an opportunist.

LWW
01-22-2011, 03:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Q </div></div>

Not at all ... he has been with the far left fr quite awhile.

LWW

Qtec
01-22-2011, 03:33 AM
Some people say...........

Q

LWW
01-22-2011, 03:40 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ron Jr has since backpedaled on the statement. </div></div>

LINK?

Q </div></div>

When will you ever learn Snoopy ... El Dubb never bluffs. (http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/ron-reagan-admits-facts-wrong-12636892)

LWW

Qtec
01-22-2011, 03:50 AM
He did not back-pedal at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ron Reagan Admits He Got Facts Wrong </div></div>

Not the important ones.

http://orig.desert-sun.com/topics/reagan/gallery/reagan33.jpg

Q

LWW
01-22-2011, 04:09 AM
You really are clueless aren't you.

That photo was after he left office and after he fell from a horse.

Wotta nit.

LWW

Qtec
01-22-2011, 04:22 AM
So? It says that on the caption below the photo. link (http://orig.desert-sun.com/topics/reagan/gallery/reagan33.shtml)

the interviewer said she had never seen Reagan with a shaved head.

Q

LWW
01-22-2011, 04:40 AM
So what relevance does it have.

Let's see ...

You start a thread about RR Jrs claim.

I point out he retractsed the claim.

You deny it.

I prove it.

You post a photo that has no relationship to the topic at all.

I point it out.

You act as if the horse fall was the topic of the thread all along.

What's your next trick?

LWW

Sev
01-22-2011, 09:40 AM
He turns tricks??? Where? A carnival???

Soflasnapper
01-22-2011, 03:09 PM
He didn't retract his claim in any wholesale manner, so it mainly stands unretracted.

What he said he got his facts wrong on is the difference of what city his father had his skull drilling surgery in (which he still had done, even in the revised partially retracted claim).

Otherwise, as Ron Jr. says, we know Alzheimers (or Reaganheimers, as some wags may rephrase it), takes a decade or more to develop, meaning that given when the symptoms were first admitted and Reagan wrote the letter stating his condition, the disease had been brewing during the presidential years, QED. Did he take that back, or is it still, as he originally said, to ask the question is to answer it?

OF COURSE he must have had it, or else you have the world record for getting it and eventually having symptoms, for which there is no precedent or theoretical basis. One simply doesn't go from zero to 60 (evident symptoms) in a half-dozen years.

sack316
01-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Ten signs of Alzheimer's:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Memory changes that disrupt daily life
Challenges in planning or solving problems
Difficulty completing familiar tasks at home, at work or at leisure
Confusion with time or place
Trouble understanding visual images and spatial relationships
New problems with words in speaking or writing
Misplacing things and losing the ability to retrace steps
Decreased or poor judgment
Withdrawal from work or social activities
Changes in mood and personality
</div></div>

I think every President... heck, every politician for that matter displays at least half of these while in office /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack

Soflasnapper
01-22-2011, 04:02 PM
I've been trying to locate video of the second debate closing remarks, and I'm beginning to suspect all such videos have been scrubbed from the public domain.

What WAS billed as the second debate closing remarks turned out to be the FIRST debate's closing remarks.

Reagan's confused and disheartening performance in that debate was not enhanced when the issue of whether to have one last rejoinder or go then to closing remarks was in doubt, and Reagan himself offered his 'I'm all confused now' remark. Although it was obviously entirely true, you have to wonder at the man saying it.

llotter
01-22-2011, 06:30 PM
There was good reason to keep fags out of the military...they simply can't be trusted. Case in point, little Ron Reagan Jr.

bobroberts
01-22-2011, 08:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pedantry aye?

Hmmmmm.

Sheldon is that you? </div></div>

My thoughts exactly. i never seen anyone else ever use that term until shelly.
BTW Ron Reagan is a twit trying to sell books because he has failed at life.

Qtec
01-22-2011, 09:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The most stunning revelation that Ron Jr. makes is his suspicion that his father entered the early stages of Alzheimer's disease long before it was made public. </div></div>

Did he? Did you hear him say that?
After watching the interview it seems to me that the author of the initial post/link made this up because RR jr makes it quite clear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't want to give the impression that my father was mumbling incoherently during this or any period. <u>But by the time he turned 76, he had survived a near-fatal shooting and surgery for colon cancer.</u> As old men will, he'd learned to conserve his energy for crucial moments."
<u>Suspicion that Reagan might have Alzheimer's surfaced during the 1984 election</u> when he lost his train of thought in his first debate with Democrat Walter Mondale. But he recovered in the second debate when he jokingly promised he wouldn't exploit his opponent's youth and inexperience. It wasn't until well after Reagan had left office that he revealed in a poignant handwritten letter to the country that he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. </div></div>

When a 70+yr old man gets shot and loses 4 pints of blood in the OR its got to take its toll.

This is just another non story.

Q

LWW
01-23-2011, 06:35 AM
Q, that took true courage.

So seldom does a member of the left take a stand against the constant barrage of hate, lies, half truths, innuendo, and party linw boiler plate propaganda spewed by the queen bat

My hat's off to you.

LWW

Sev
01-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Somebody please make a note of this. Q could now be in the crosshairs of his brethren.

LWW
01-23-2011, 01:22 PM
And sistren.

LWW

bobroberts
01-23-2011, 01:30 PM
At least one member of the left here is reasonable. Kudos to Q for standing up.

Soflasnapper
01-23-2011, 02:35 PM
If you like Q's take on this, you ought to equally revere (or at least stop attacking) Ron Reagan Jr., who has the identical take. In fact, Q QUOTED RRJr's take, although none of you have seemed to notice that fact.

Sev
01-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Thats not as much fun. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Soflasnapper
01-23-2011, 04:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats not as much fun. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

So, you're all 'Lord of the Flies' around here? I get it.

Sev
01-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Not really.
I am just getting my revenge. I tired of being savaged by certain trolls on this site because my view opposes theirs.

Stretch
01-23-2011, 04:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not really.
I am just getting my revenge. I tired of being savaged by certain trolls on this site because my view opposes theirs.

</div></div>

Who here savages you? St.

Sev
01-23-2011, 05:10 PM
They have largely gone silent over time. Or been banned.

Qtec
01-23-2011, 08:49 PM
They can't handle facts.

Q

Sev
01-23-2011, 09:03 PM
We do have fun with your fiction though. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Qtec
01-23-2011, 09:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am just getting my revenge. </div></div>

You are sick. This is a discussion forum, not a battlefield. If that's your attitude there can be no discussion.

Q

Qtec
01-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Its been great having you here. I'm afraid you will realise that that trying to have an adult conversation with these guys is like pissing into the wind.

You had a great thread.. Taxes bad? (http://billiardsdigest.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=332653#Post332653)

How did that work out? Did anyone actually address your point?

Sev is a waste of time.
These guys [ I suspect] are on many forums so mostly they don't read the posts, don't read the links and what they do read they misunderstand , <u>because they have a preconceived idea and facts just get in the way.</u>

Stick around.........please? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Q

Sev
01-23-2011, 09:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am just getting my revenge. </div></div>

You are sick. This is a discussion forum, not a battlefield. If that's your attitude there can be no discussion.

Q </div></div>

Really? That must have escaped me.

Trying to have a discussion with a couple of critters on this site is futile effort because they dont seem to have that ability.
They do have the ability bandy about a constant stream of insults and attacks though.