PDA

View Full Version : Flying with pool cue -simple solution

Vagabond
02-28-2002, 09:50 PM
Hello friends,
Recently some posters were enquiring on this issue.Here is a simple solution.Buy a little bigger suitcase( I bought American tourister).Thow your pool cues in the case and throw the case into the suitcase and check in your suitcase.I have Jack Justice case and pool cues are custom made.At the destination my case and cues were in the same condition as were at the time of checking in.Y`all know that I travel all the time.
Vagabond

heater451
02-28-2002, 11:46 PM
Do they still make Samsonite cases?

(Remembering the gorilla commercial. . . .)

BLACKHEART
03-01-2002, 12:24 AM
The problem is not that your case or cue might be damaged if shipped with the luggage. The problem is that the luggage compartment is not pressurized or heated & the temperature can be way below zero. That kind of conditions can wreck a cue...JER

Q-guy
03-01-2002, 01:50 AM
Are you sure about that. Where do the put pet carrier's when you ship the dog?

Q-guy
03-01-2002, 01:54 AM
The more I think about it, the plane descends in about 30 minutes from 30,000 feet. and you are on the ground. If that were the case, my luggage would be still frozen when it came out.

CarolNYC
03-01-2002, 05:30 AM
Hey heater,
Im LMAO-Im not too concerned of the temperature-Im more concerned it will get lost someone on route-I have a instroke case and when they put it in a plain box and shipped it,boy, i was stressed,but it arrived okay-I;ll tell you,the only way we'll know is in the future!
Carol~Hopes everyones cues arrive safely!

03-01-2002, 05:53 AM
It is good to see you back on the board, Vagabond. I hope you will continue. Rich R.

Fred Agnir
03-01-2002, 07:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: BLACKHEART:</font><hr> The problem is not that your case or cue might be damaged if shipped with the luggage. The problem is that the luggage compartment is not pressurized or heated &amp; the temperature can be way below zero. That kind of conditions can wreck a cue...JER <hr></blockquote>

I don't think this is true, Jer. Consider that they keep dogs and other animals down there, they have to be pressurized and heated. Ever put something like saline solution or shaving cream in your suitcase? If it wasn't pressurized, you'd have quite a mess, I would think.

A pilot on rec.sport.billiard swears that the storage compartments are pressurized and that the cold you feel on your luggage is from the exposure to the elements enroute from plane to terminal. Don't they put cues on commercial flight storage if you "overnight express" them?

BTW, every time I took my cue from the overhead compartment, it was cold. It's not exactly heated in there.

Fred

03-01-2002, 07:55 PM
Vagabond, Glad to hear from you again. Jim R.

Troy
03-01-2002, 08:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr> Are you sure about that. Where do the put pet carrier's when you ship the dog? <hr></blockquote>

There is one compartment for regular luggage and a separate semi-pressurized compartment for goods such as pets that doesn't reach the extreme temperature.

Rod
03-01-2002, 09:47 PM
Quote,
There is one compartment for regular luggage and a separate semi-pressurized compartment for goods such as pets that doesn't reach the extreme temperature.

Troy, I'm not sure what that word semi-pressurized means.
Does it mean your doggie sort of gets oxygen?
Poor little guy is probably turning blue, plus he is
labled as "goods". I'd always thought they were a life form.

Troy
03-02-2002, 10:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> Quote,
Troy, I'm not sure what that word semi-pressurized means.
Does it mean your doggie sort of gets oxygen?
Poor little guy is probably turning blue, plus he is
labled as "goods". I'd always thought they were a life form. <hr></blockquote>

I'm not positive, but I don't think that "pressurized" and "oxygen" are synonymous.

Q-guy
03-02-2002, 06:22 PM
I was curious about this, so I called an old friend. He is a former airline pilot and now an airport executive. He knows planes. I know him since he was a helicopter pilot in Viet Nam. He told me that the luggage compartments on all commercial planes are pressurized and heated. He said it is not as warm as in the main cabin though, only around 50 degrees. He said as far as people being worried about luggage being lost. The main reason it gets lost is because the tags come off and the luggage can't be identified. He said for something like a poolcue. If you want to be absolutely sure it won't get lost. Put a graphic right on the shipping case with your name and phone number or what ever info you want to put on. Don't depend on tags. He said if you have a case with your name and phone number on it, that there is no chance of it being lost, even if it got misrouted.

Troy
03-02-2002, 08:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr> I was curious about this, so I called an old friend. He is a former airline pilot and now an airport executive. He knows planes. I know him since he was a helicopter pilot in Viet Nam. He told me that the luggage compartments on all commercial planes are pressurized and heated. He said it is not as warm as in the main cabin though, only around 50 degrees. He said as far as people being worried about luggage being lost. The main reason it gets lost is because the tags come off and the luggage can't be identified. He said for something like a poolcue. If you want to be absolutely sure it won't get lost. Put a graphic right on the shipping case with your name and phone number or what ever info you want to put on. Don't depend on tags. He said if you have a case with your name and phone number on it, that there is no chance of it being lost, even if it got misrouted. <hr></blockquote>

I stand corrected..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

03-02-2002, 11:50 PM
This doesn't exactly deal with cues in flight, rather "cue balls" in flight.
This topic came up talking with friends about airplane security. I am serious when I say I will not fly w/o 3 pool balls in my carry-on bag. I will have each ball tied in a seperate sock. If that becomes a problem then I will try a set of 3-C balls with a couple pair of socks handy. Just in case.

03-03-2002, 02:39 AM
I recently flew from Sweden to Sydney, via Amsterdam and Hongkong. It was not a problem to carry the cuecase as hand luggage in the cabin. I guess it is more complicated if you fly within the US.

//Pacman...

SPetty
03-03-2002, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TheShot:</font><hr> I am serious when I say I will not fly w/o 3 pool balls in my carry-on bag. I will have each ball tied in a seperate sock. <hr></blockquote>

Why?

03-03-2002, 10:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: TheShot:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; I am serious when I say I will not fly w/o 3 pool balls in my carry-on bag. I will have each ball tied in a seperate sock. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Why?
<hr></blockquote>

3-C ball + wool sock = Anti-terrorist flogger.

03-03-2002, 11:36 AM
Fred, there are two compartments in a plane. One is pressurized the other is not. There was an article about a year ago in People magazine (if not mistaken) where the pilot of an airplane that departed from the east coast to California had to stop in Chicago because they had put an owners purebreed dog in the wrong compartment (unpressurized). Although the pilot believe the dog would be dead by the time they arrived in Chicago, when they got into the unpressurized compartment the dog was still alive after several hours of flight altough all shaken up. After what happened, the pilot let the owner fly the remaining flight with his dog in his lap. The owner refused to sue the airliner because no damage was done. Needless to say, the deviation of the plane caused the airline quite a bit of dollars but much less if the owner had sued.

Q-guy
03-03-2002, 03:00 PM
In my research, there is a part of the luggage compartment that has additional heat for transporting animals. As I said most of the compartment is around 50 degrees to cold for the family dog over a long period of time. The article you read was probably not correct. On a flight from California to Chicago That plane would be flying at over 30,000 feet. The air outside drops 3.6 degrees for every thousand feet above sea level. The outside air would be about -30 degrees. If it were not pressurized it could not be heated. The dog would have been a popsicle when they got there. The story can't be correct. The dog must have been in the colder part of the luggage compartment and that was their concern.

Fred Agnir
03-04-2002, 02:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Harold Acosta:</font><hr> Fred, there are two compartments in a plane. One is pressurized the other is not. There was an article about a year ago in People magazine (if not mistaken) where the pilot of an airplane that departed from the east coast to California had to stop in Chicago because they had put an owners purebreed dog in the wrong compartment (unpressurized). Although the pilot believe the dog would be dead by the time they arrived in Chicago, when they got into the unpressurized compartment the dog was still alive after several hours of flight altough all shaken up. <hr></blockquote>

I'll go with Q-guy on this one. If that other compartment isn't pressurised, then in addition to being shaken, that dog would be dead. It could be that one compartment is *more* heated than another. Probably a room temperature compartment for pets.

Fred