PDA

View Full Version : Your DREAM home poolroom

cheesemouse
09-06-2002, 07:00 AM
Here is my dilemma. Last Fall this 70 year old retired guy took pool lessons from me. He is like a kid in a candy store with a great additude about pool and instruction. He thinks I know everything there is to know about the game. Last spring when I switch from pool to golf I told him the lessons would have to stop till this coming Fall and at that time I suggested to him that since he loves the game so much he should have his own pool room in his house. This guy is very well off. Two weeks ago the guy stopped into the golf course where I work and told me " I took your advice and I sold my house and bought a new one so I would have room for my pool room and I want you to come over and meet with the carpenter and tell him what to do". I was suprised to say the least. I have been over to the new house, it is a McManion with an unfinshed basement. The space in the basement which will be devoted to the poolroom is 18x 26, the table will be a Diamond Pro with the Diamond light. Here's what I need from you guys/gals~~~~ideas on what you would have built into your dream home poolroom, you know, the kind of stuff that should be done now and not later. This guy is spending some serious cash here...I have to meet the carpenter in just a few days. Any good ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Let your minds wander

09-06-2002, 07:03 AM
my dream poolroom would be built in ewa lawrence's home.

cheesemouse
09-06-2002, 07:09 AM
arnie,
Very funny.....While this guys wife is very becoming for her age I doubt she will ever roll a ball in this poolroom... Hey, I'm serious here, I need some ideas on the physical plant... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

socrates
09-06-2002, 07:40 AM
Built a 20 X 18 addition two years ago specifically for pool. No obstructions. Houses a 9ft brunswick with 860 simonis, a stereo in one corner and drafting table in the other. Several bookshelves. Things I would like to have done:

1. I have a huge billiard book and video library and would have had shelves built into the interior 20 ft wall. The would be sunk into the wall so that the library would not take up any playing area.

2. Shortly after I put my room up I added canister lights in the ceiling around the outside of the table. Really helped brighten the room.

3. I would like to have four bose speakers suspended from the four corners in the ceiling.

4. While I have a bathroom right off the pool room I think a small sink with hot and cold water with a counter would be nice to have in a room.

5. Small refrigerator.

6. I bring a small TV VCR player into the room when giving lessons or watching instructional videos. I just put it on the drafting table. Would be nice to have this set up on a permanent basis.

7. Make sure the room has adequate heating and a/c. Those lights can make the room warmer in the summer than the rest of the house.

8. Buy a very good and thick carpet pad. If you spend a lot of hours in the room it will pay huge dividends to your legs.

9. If the room has windows pay attention to the shades or blinds you put in. Makes for pleasant playing conditions when the sun would otherwise be streaming through the windows.

Good luck.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-06-2002, 07:51 AM
Hate to be redundant but Socrates brought up 2 things I was thinking about.

1. Have a book and video library in the room for easy access.

2. Have tv-vcr-dvd setup right there in order to watch instructional tapes while at the table.

MikeM
09-06-2002, 07:58 AM
Also, I would like a place to plug in my laptop close by with a network connection. There is a lot of good pool information on the internet and it would be handy to have it close to the table. WEI table, RSB and of course the CCB are some examples.

MM

Rich R.
09-06-2002, 08:00 AM
You hit just about all of the important things Steve. The only change I would make is to incorporate that small sink into a complete wet bar. It does not have to be a bar that you stand behind. Mine is similar to kitchen cabinets, against the wall, with the sink. The cabinets provide space for glasses and bottles of your favorite beverages, as well as your pool table brush, ball cleaner/wax and other odds and ends. I really don't know what I would do with all the stuff if I didn't have the cabinet, and it does not have to be very large. With that small refrigerator along side, you would be one better than me. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Rich R.

Kato
09-06-2002, 08:03 AM
I've actually thought about this one a little. I would like a bar, not full size but like a 6 footer with 3 stools with all kinds of glasses for all kinds of drinks, plus a mini-fridge. I'd like 4 T.V.'s mounted 1 in every corner. I'd like a serious cranking stereo system. Unlike a lot of people I love jamming music while I'm playing. A couch (why not), people need to sit while I'm running out. Those really nice Diamond chairs with the cue holder piece, probably need 4 of those, 1 in every corner. Really nice display cases mounted on the wall for displaying all my custom made cues (heck, I've got enough money to buy a house just to do this then I'm a collector now). I think I'd need a microphone to be able to announce matches, this would hook up to my stereo system 9 (hey, I'm a goofball). Pictures, my walls are lined with me of pictures and Jeanette, me and Allison, me and Efren, me and Voodoo (with his face blacked out so know one will know who he is) you get the picture.

I'm sure there is more but I'm at work.

Kato

Kato
09-06-2002, 08:05 AM
Oh yeah, Black Gold Crown, 9 footer.

Kato

cheesemouse
09-06-2002, 08:17 AM
Now where talking, this is the kind of stuff I,m looking for. I know from building a few restaurants from scratch that one person can't think of everything. I will take the reasonable and good ideas and print them out for this guys concideration. Keep them coming.......

stickman
09-06-2002, 08:25 AM
Since we have the TV's, VCR, DVD, ect., why not add an overhead camera to record the matches, or feed directly to the TV's if wanted? Watching yourself play is a great learning tool. It would be great to have all the wiring for speakers, TV's, camera, etc. in the wall before the sheetrock is put up.

09-06-2002, 08:31 AM

Vicki
09-06-2002, 08:56 AM
I think a couple of people have hit on some really important things. First, the cabinets... that is so critical. There are just certain things you don't want to have laying out or visible on a shelf. The built in shelves is also a great idea, especially if the guy collects any pool stuff.

I would also suggest a place to store cues. Could be in a display mounted on the wall or built into the bookcases. A closet would also be nice. Would suck to have a few people over and have their coats and cases taking up seating space all over the furniture. Storage space is just critical.

From experience, you need a chair rail... is that what it's called, the molding the goes on the wall about half way up. The spectator chairs go right up against the wall usually and can leave scars and marks. Tables also take up a lot of space so it might be nice to have a shelf about 8" deep that is built along the wall. Another thing that is just such a peeve of mine is the little blue scuff marks on the wall where people lay their cue against the wall while racking or between shots. Rather than having to scold anyone - I would just make sure there are obvious places to rest your cue while not in use.

I hope you'll share with us when you and your friend make the decisions about his room.

I wish I could have a pool table.

Vicki

cheesemouse
09-06-2002, 09:12 AM
Vicki,
I'll ask this guy if I can take pictures of the before and after and share them with this board. I'll have to dust off my digital camera and find the instructions...One thing I forgot to add is: He is of the generation that is not very high tech but I will float the ideas anyway, what the heck the guy bought $300K house just so he could have a poolroom... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif......

Bob C
09-06-2002, 09:15 AM
Since this is a "dream home pool room," I would want a place for a ball polisher and my own personal luxury, a central vacuum system with a port on the wall by my table so I wouldn't have to haul out a vacuum cleaner and tangled cord everytime I want to clean the table. Bob C

Wally_in_Cincy
09-06-2002, 09:21 AM
You gotta have these

http://www.whitakerfurniture.com/showroom.htm

http://www.whitakerfurniture.com/images/showroom/thumbnails/showroom5.jpg

Look at the bottom of the page.

I was at Chesterfield Billiards in St. Louis last week and they had these chairs and they were really nice. Cup holder and cue holder on the arm.

Vapros
09-06-2002, 09:24 AM
I see lots of luxuries mentioned - you could spend a million in there - but if you're going to do any serious time in that room, you will want a drinking fountain or water cooler of some kind. Cold water. It will save you a lot of trips to the kitchen.

AustinFilAm
09-06-2002, 09:53 AM
If he has any interest in straight pool, have the carpenter install an old style wooden bead counter.

Angelo

09-06-2002, 10:02 AM
my home room is 22x24 ft., soundproof and has plenty of room for the 9 footer. have 14' of cabinets w/built in desk & frig plus bookshelf. phone/computer connections, stereo w/builtin speakers, tv, vcr/dvd, move camera on tripod, wet bar, coffee maker. 2 corner tables w/3 chairs each & 2 double spectator chairs w/drink & cue holders & wall cue rack and dart board. later added exhaust fan & wish i had included bathroom. have found that it having a home table takes lotsa patience with family & friends and also a good set of balls

nAz
09-06-2002, 10:10 AM
Hey CM make sure they put a bathroom down there if there isnt one there now. at his age it must suck to run about and down the stairs, and Depends are costly /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif oh and he will need a intercom sys./phone line, small fridge and if he has room for all that a lazy boy chair

bluewolf
09-06-2002, 10:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> Built in video cameras for taping yourself with a screen and efficent playback system (like football's instant replay) for immediate viewing. <hr></blockquote>

how bout wall to wall mirrors

bw

Cueless Joey
09-06-2002, 10:44 AM
For me a Gold Crown I table done by Ernesto. Diamond lights and Darafeev furniture.
I sold audio-video equipment for years so I know something about stereos and tv's.
Wide screen Panasonic with built-in line doubler. Onkyo Dolby-digital equipment with JBL speakers. Hughes DTV equipment.

9 Ball Girl
09-06-2002, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr>how bout wall to wall mirrors<hr></blockquote>

That would be cool but make sure they're shatter proof! Same goes if it's going to be built in a room with windows. One never knows when that cueball wants to be airborne!

Tom_In_Cincy
09-06-2002, 10:55 AM
I would suggest a Music Stand. Good for setting up books with drills and shots. Much easier than placing the book or drill diagrams on the table..

Some type of storage area for all the books and video tapes.

A comfortable chair with good lighting to sit and read. (books about pool)

09-06-2002, 11:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: stickman:</font><hr> Since we have the TV's, VCR, DVD, ect., why not add an overhead camera to record the matches, or feed directly to the TV's if wanted? Watching yourself play is a great learning tool. It would be great to have all the wiring for speakers, TV's, camera, etc. in the wall before the sheetrock is put up. <hr></blockquote>

For info on this look here
http://www.ustecnet.com/flash.html
http://www.homedirector.com/
and here
http://www.smarthome.com/

Fred Agnir
09-06-2002, 11:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>

2. Have tv-vcr-dvd setup right there in order to watch instructional tapes while at the table. <hr></blockquote>
And a video camera hooked up directly to the VCR.

Fred &lt;~~~ and a wet bar, bathroom, mini-lathe...

cheesemouse
09-06-2002, 11:46 AM
You guys are going nuts here....I love it... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

09-06-2002, 12:25 PM
I've got those, or some very similar to them. They're great. Very comfortable and sturdy. We have had a couple of drinks knocked off of the drink holders though. I'll probably cut a hole where the drink holders are located and install insulated inserts.

SPetty
09-06-2002, 01:00 PM
What I recommend that hasnít been mentioned is 10 foot walls so that when you lift your cue in victory, you donít slam it against the ceiling, although that might be difficult in a basement room. I also think ceiling fans are helpful.

I am fortunate enough to be actually in the process of building my dream pool room. It is a separate barn style outbuilding, 24x40 freespan, with a large upstairs that will be used as a very nice guest room (with bath).

Construction goes slowly, as there is essentially only one person working on it part-time, but the air conditioning duct work was just installed today! WooHoo! Now if I can just get the A/C contractor out before summer is totally over...

Itís nice to see that Iím planning or have in place already most of the things that people described.

Hey, cheese, before and after pictures would be great. I am hoping to get together one of those 360 degree panorama pictures of my room when itís closer to completion. (If anyone knows about that and wants to help me, please let me know via Personal Message.)

I have or will have:
-------------------
Ten foot walls.

It currently houses two 8í junker tables, but they are just holding places for the 9í Diamond Professional and the 7í Valley Cougar. My 100 CD jukebox arrived a few weeks ago, and Iím going through my CDs carefully choosing so that any time anyone at all plays anything, itíll be something I like!

As for a bar, I initially intended the bar as Kato described Ė with bottles and glasses and barstools, but have since ended up with more like what Rich R. describes Ė a place up against the wall. Itís actually a dresser (for the storage room) with an old waterbed mirrored, shelved headboard on top. (Really, itís gonna look a lot better than it soundsÖ)

The small full sized built-in refrigerator will house the cold water referred to by Vapros, as well as, um, tequila in the freezer.

Kato mentioned a couch Ė I bought an inflatable couch (well, loveseat really) awhile back, and I have an inflatable chair too. Other assorted seats Ė miscellaneous barstools, high chairs (no, not the baby kind) and other plastic chairs. Oh, and my old barberís chair. None of the expensive pool chairs (yet) as recommended by Wally in Cincy.

Coffee maker as suggested by simsd. Maybe a microwave, although I donít think I want greasy popcorn fingers playing on my tables!

A comfortable chair with good lighting to sit and read books about pool like Tom in Cincy recommends is in my plans Ė the reading nook is being tucked in under the stairs.

Iím planning shelves for the library, and a TV and video player up on the wall.

And of course, thereís assorted pool and beer signs, lights and mirrors. As Vicki suggested, there are hooks for players to hang their cases and coats. I even have locking baskets to store stuff that people might be more comfortable locking up.

Suggested things I donít have and probably wonít have:
------------------------------------------------------
Iíve donít have carpet, I have a beautiful solid oak hardwood floor. If that ends up really being too hard on the feet and legs, I can put a runner of carpet around the table, but I figure you need to learn to play on that floor, since most of the floors in the places you play are hard, too!

I thought about putting a sink with hot and cold running water out in the pool table area as suggested by socrates, but figured that since I have a full bathroom handy Ė and itís right there (!) Ė I didnít need another sink just on the other side of the bathroom wall. (I do have hot and cold running water to the outside of the building, though...)

What MikeM suggested: a network connection. The only kind of network connection I get out in the country is a telephone. It wouldnít be worth it to run a total separate telephone line just to use the computer rarely (would it?)

As for BobCís vacuum suggestion, I donít find it difficult to get out the little hand vacuum thatís delegated especially for the pool tablesÖ It seems just as easy to me to plug in the cord as it would be to plug in the vacuum hoseÖ

Donít need the exhaust fan recommended by simsd Ė no smoking inside. Thereís a lovely full length covered porch out front for the smokers!

Iíll let you guys know when the guest room is ready for you.

Voodoo Daddy
09-06-2002, 05:55 PM
When I retire {in 11 years or so} I'll move to Kentucky, buy 5 acres and build a home. The building in the back will be 60'x100' and will house the following; One 4 1/2 x 9 Brunswick Anniversary, One, 5 x 10 Soren Sogard 3-C table and/or a 5 x 10 Snooker table, all lit by Diamond table lights. I will have four 27" TVs hooked into a Dish/DVD/Video hanging from the ceiling all sound ran through a 500-750 watt stereo system with all speakers mounted at roof level. Somewhere around a 20' teak bar, fully stocked and ready to please. I will buy some older theatre chairs, refinish same and build 2' risers for them so everyone can sit and see in comfort. A couple of couch's and Lazy-Boys for that relax-time we all crave. A place to hook up computer, like the loft of the building. The walls will be covered in pool-related items, neon signs from beer makers not in this country, a Stevie Ray Vaughan Shrine {like in my current dig's} and a dehumidified wall unit displaying my cues. I imagine there will be a poker table in the corner {just in case} and finally the most important part of your own home pool room...a dead bolt to keep out the riff-raff!!!

WesK
09-06-2002, 07:27 PM
Plug in? Wireless.

Barbara
09-06-2002, 08:06 PM
cheese,

I haven't read ALL of the responses, but one thing I do think would be good is a knotty paneling on the walls. I have this in my own room and use the paneling for that "point in space" figuring for banks and such. If the room is big enough, get a patterned carpet (with GOOD padding, I can't stress that enough!) so you can use the carpet pattern to "spot" the angles, too.

Also what my hubby put in my room, because it is just big enough for a 9 footer, is shelving 4 1/2" deep around the perimeter of the room so i can have a place to set glasses and stuff. It's 52" from the floor - just about where it won't interfere with my cue. That way I don't have a table I have to move if it's in my way.

And get nice chairs that a person can get in and out of without using the knees too much - it helps in the long run in a long match.

Go wireless with the laptop setup, a decent size tv with a video cam for instant feedback on one's stroke/mechanics/etc.

Plus! You can hire me and I'll come up with all sorts of great and comfortable ideas!! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif!

For a nominal fee, of course!

Barbara~~~is great at spending someone else's money, but spends it well...

09-06-2002, 08:52 PM
Wally, the industry standard and top choice billiard/spectator chair for commercial pool rooms IMO is made by Renaissance Wood Products out of Louisville, KY - not far from your neck of the woods! They are pricey (nearly $400 apiece retail), but will last a lifetime. I did alot of research before deciding on the Renaissance for all our chairs here in our poolroom. The customers love them, and they've withstood commercial abuse for over 6 years with not one single repair needed.

They offer the wider arm with the cup holder or coaster and cue notches in the arm if desired. Another model which we have alot of here have the thicker but narrower arm, with a tray between and adjoining a two chair combination unit. The tray has 2 cup holders and additional room for food or other items.

All Renaissance models are extremely durable and heavily reinforced commercial quality chairs that come shipped in one piece as opposed to the cheaper knock-down models many companies offer that require assembly. My guess is a large majority of their sales is large orders for commercial poolrooms. For commercial use, I'd highly recommended the wood slatted seats and seat-backs as opposed to fabric or leather. They are available in a number of various stains. They also make cue racks and the absolute best wood ball triangles in the industry.

If serious, you may call 1-800-522-0825 and talk to Bill or Lisa - and tell them Chris in Boone, NC referred you. I'm not aware if they have a website with an on-line catalog at this time, but perhaps they'll send you a catalog if you're really interested. If they won't sell to you direct, get in touch with me and I'll help you get them ordered and drop-shipped direct to you. As with all popular items, the waiting list on Renaissance chairs is at the very least 2-3 months. - Chris in NC

cheesemouse
09-06-2002, 09:28 PM
Before I go to bed I would like to thank everyone who offered ideas on the poolroom project. Some of them are really great. I never would have thought of many. These things will be very helpfull when I sit down with the guy this coming Monday afternoon. We are going to order one of the Diamonds w/light that are being used in the U.S.Open this year. I have already talked with Brady but haven't finalized the order. The carpenter will come later next week. This will be a fun project even though it will not be mine...damn it! I bet I get to play on the table lots though.....hehehehe... Thanks again everyone. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

nmshooter
09-06-2002, 11:48 PM
Well because of this gentlemans age I would focus on more items of comfort than items of leisure that a younger man or women would have.

I think some of the best features for him would be items of comfort such as climate control. You say this is a basement. Make sure he has air conditioning or heating to keep the climate comfortable for him as well as keeping the equipment optimal. Another thing would be seating. Nothing disrespectful to the older folks but I would make sure they had a comfortable place to rest. My feet and back get tired after a while, Im sure his would too. Also something to keep him hydrated. Now I dont know if this guy would want a bar in his basement but maybe something to keep refreshments cold and convenient. Aside from those things I would probably have a tv and a recordable device of some type. Some music equipment if he likes that. If it was my room I would want it to be much more than just a place to practice pool. Ive always favored having a chalk board or a marker board that you can jot down notes about your practice sessions also. Sounds like you have a lot of good ideas and I hope we get to see before and after photos. Its always been a dream of mine to have my own pool room, something that I will probably never have but I still have fun drawing them up on AutoCad......lol

Rich R.
09-07-2002, 08:39 AM
Cheese, I decided to add a little something, since this is a fantacy project, at least for us.
If money is not a major problem, I strongly suggest NOT putting the pool room in the basement and adding it to the main level of the house. This makes it much easier to use.
Some times it is just too much trouble to walk down that one set of steps. /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif Also, at times rooms in a basement with little or no window space are not too inviting and you get tired of them. /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif JMHO.
However, adding on will put a lot of stress on the budget.
Rich R.~~~loves my table on the main level with windows.

rackmup
09-07-2002, 08:57 AM
First, the basement needs to be expanded, to include a small two-bedroom apartment just off the pool room (it should have a private entrance to the apartment from the outside.) I don't need anything fancy...just a place for myself and my two dogs...and access to the Diamond.

Of course, I'll mow the guy's lawn in exchange for reduced rent. DON'T OVERLOOK THIS SUGGESTION. It IS a good idea and will dramatically increase the value of the property (not to mention what it will do for my game!)

Regards (and with envy),

Ken

AustinFilAm
09-09-2002, 10:58 AM
"Another thing that is just such a peeve of mine is the little blue scuff marks on the wall where people lay their cue against the wall while racking or between shots. Rather
than having to scold anyone - I would just make sure there are obvious places to rest your cue while not in use."

I solved this by: on a 1"x 2" wood (white pine) using the bridge head as a pattern, cut, sand, and paint. Screw to desired locations on the wall. For a decorative touch and to protect the cue, line with self-adhesive velvet felt lining (available in green at hobby stores).

SPetty
09-09-2002, 11:25 AM
Oh, and I don't think it's been mentioned - perhaps provide a small area rug for people to wipe the chalk off their tips before putting them back into their cases.