PDA

View Full Version : possibly the best post of 2010:

Qtec
01-23-2011, 08:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As Rick Perlstein pointed out in possibly the best post of 2010:

We live in a mendocracy.

As in: rule by liars.

Political scientists are going crazy crunching the numbers to uncover the skeleton key to understanding the Republican victory last Tuesday.

But the only number that matters is the one demonstrating that by a two-to-one margin likely voters thought their taxes had gone up, when, for almost all of them, they had actually gone down. Republican politicians, and conservative commentators, told them Barack Obama was a tax-mad lunatic. They lied. The mainstream media did not do their job and correct them. The White House was too polite—"civil," just like Obama promised—to say much. So people believed the lie. From this all else follows.

And it was all too predictable.

Consider February 24, 2009, when, after four glowing weeks in office, Obama delivered his first, triumphant, address to a joint session of Congress. Two weeks earlier, he had signed the $700 billion stimulus bill. This was his speech defending it.

That was the one in which Governor Bobby Jindal of Louisiana, looking like a cross between a deer in the headlights and a 10-year-old delivering a prize school report, delivered the Republican response. You remember! He singled out for excoriation the $140 million in stimulus spending "for something called 'volcano monitoring'"; this happened to be about a month before a volcano erupted, releasing a 60,000 foot cloud of ash near—dot dot dot—Wasilla, Alaska.

On CNN, David Brooks followed Jindal. He called the governor's "stale, government-is-the problem" rhetoric "a disaster for the Republican Party," and excoriated those who insisted on hugging tight to it as "insane." The people appeared to agree. In a snap poll, 92 percent of those surveyed had a positive reaction to Obama's speech—68 percent a very positive reaction. Only 8 percent had a negative reaction.

The next morning I tuned in to Rush Limbaugh. I was fascinated to see how the hell he might respond.

Like a deer in the headlights? Not quite. The first caller, though a self-professed ditto-head, took objection to Rush's argument that Obama had revealed himself in the speech as a tax-and-spend liberal. The caller quoted Obama's words: "Because of this plan, 95 percent of the working households in America will receive a tax cut—a tax cut that you will see in your paychecks beginning on April 1." (Which was true: People did.)

Rush responded, fluidly and without a gram of doubt. "Pay no attention to what Obama says. He means the opposite in most cases. What he says is irrelevant."

So the guy to whom all Republicans must kowtow on pain of political death had just laid down a marker that everything Obama said was a lie.

What if the White House had in those months in early 2009 put in the rhetorical forefront a story about Rush's tens of millions of listeners, and all politicians who refused to denounce Rush, were effectively saying anything the Chief Constitutional Officer of the United States said was a priori a diabolical lie?

But Obama didn't. That would be the "old politics of division." Not Obama's bag.

This would have been one of many opportunities to wedge the opposition between the authoritarian nihilists and the "constructive" Republicans who had America's best interests at heart. Instead, the nihilists got to tell the story that endures in the day-after punditry from last Tuesday: that the electorate "rejected Obama's agenda."

The vector worked, and works, like this:

(a) A mountebank teaches his millions of followers that everything the president says is a priori a lie;

b) The mainstream media that acts as if anything his millions of followers believe is a priori deserving of respect as heartland folk wisdom (note the cover article lionizing Limbaugh in this week's Newsweek);

(c) The president unilaterally renders himself constitutionally incapable of breaking the chain between (a) and (b), such that, (d), the assumption that Obama raised taxes when he really lowered them becomes hegemonic for a majority of the electorate, and even a large plurality of Democrats </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 14pt'>Lying by Republicans in politics to the Americna people has become the norm and the current media establishment are the enablers</span> they've been waiting for ever since Spiro Agnew uttered these famous words penned by William Safire. The Nattering Nabobs of Negativity </div></div>

link (http://crooksandliars.com/john-amato/media-should-ignore-michelle-bachmann-0)

Q

Soflasnapper
01-24-2011, 02:14 AM
That last part is so true.

I've grown inured to whatever the right wing throws out. They are so clearly liars from their past record, that anything new I hear I immediately discount, and wonder where the lie is this time.

I still check it out, if only to understand their talking points, but over and over again, the discovered truth is that by all reasonable analysis, they're lying their asses off once again.

I'm influenced by the scientific method, and John Stuart Mills' notion of the free market place of ideas, so I withhold final judgment until I can hear the rebuttal side of the apparently final debunking of their points by factual analysis.

Over and over again, there is no credible rebuttal from the other side, so once again, apparently, the right is simply full of shit, and unashamed to peddle complete misrepresentations to the unknowing public.

Pardon me for drawing this conclusion, but when I see nothing but serial lying from one side, I tend to discount their future claims.

In fact, I wonder if their shit storm technique isn't aimed not only at the uninformed populace (only 40% of adults could identify the name of the vice president, e.g.), but at distracting the left in the fun but never-ending story of debunking their last lie.

LWW
01-24-2011, 03:53 AM
This thread is simply precious.

LWW

Sev
01-24-2011, 07:29 AM
Yah those dems are just bastions of honesty and integrity.

pooltchr
01-24-2011, 08:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That last part is so true.

I've grown inured to whatever the right wing throws out. They are so clearly liars from their past record, that anything new I hear I immediately discount, and wonder where the lie is this time.

I still check it out, if only to understand their talking points, but over and over again, the discovered truth is that by all reasonable analysis, they're lying their asses off once again.

</div></div>

That's funny. I have very similar thoughts when I hear or read comments from the left.

The difference is, I don't just use sources that agree with my political leanings. I even read HuffPo, although quite often, it is for the same reasons I read the comics in the newspaper.

Steve

Gayle in MD
01-24-2011, 11:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That last part is so true.

I'm influenced by the scientific method, and John Stuart Mills' notion of the free market place of ideas, so I withhold final judgment until I can hear the rebuttal side of the apparently final debunking of their points by factual analysis.

Over and over again, there is no credible rebuttal from the other side, so once again, apparently, the right is simply full of shit, and unashamed to peddle complete misrepresentations to the unknowing public.

Pardon me for drawing this conclusion, but when I see nothing but serial lying from one side, I tend to discount their future claims.

In fact, I wonder if their shit storm technique isn't aimed not only at the uninformed populace (only 40% of adults could identify the name of the vice president, e.g.), but at distracting the left in the fun but never-ending story of debunking their last lie.

</div></div>

One need only read this forum to understand the reason why our country was in the mess it was in when President Obama, had to tackle overturing the Bush Legacy.

When one sees so called, "Conservatives" and their so called, "Christian Coalition" continue to deny the failed Republican policies of the last thirty years, and worse, vote the lying crooks who created the mess, back in, one is painfully aware of the ignorance which plagues America.

Dwight Eisenhower, was the last decent Republican, and one only needs to re-read his warnings in his fairwell address, today, to find a cleara picture of exactly what he warned us of, the corrupt, failed policies of the Republican crooks.

I think, perhaps, we may be seeing the beginning of the end of the Republican, "bait and switch" games.

Republicans have apinted themselves into a corner, this time.

As their onslaught against the majority of Americans, for the beneifit of the corrupt corporate CEO's shows it's ungly face, AGAIN, it will become far more evident, as they begin to show once again, that their only concern, is for the worst among us, the Military Industrial Complex, and their own power mongering greed.

They protect the polluters, the thieves, and the pigs among us.
Cheney, and Bush, killed many more with the cancers which are growing as a result of the Halliburton Loophole, and other secret efforts of the Grand Oil Party, like the invasion of Iraq. Their policies make Americans Ill, and then allow Health Insurance, Pharmaceuticals, filthy farming, and corrupt Financial Industries, to take advantage of their plight.

It's truly disgusting.

Everyone drinks water, and breaths the air. Eveyone MUST see GASLAND!

Gayle in MD
01-24-2011, 11:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As Rick Perlstein pointed out in possibly the best post of 2010:

We live in a mendocracy.

As in: rule by liars.

Political scientists are going crazy crunching the numbers to uncover the skeleton key to understanding the Republican victory last Tuesday.

But the only number that matters is the one demonstrating that by a two-to-one margin likely voters thought their taxes had gone up, when, for almost all of them, they had actually gone down. Republican politicians, and conservative commentators, told them Barack Obama was a tax-mad lunatic. They lied. The mainstream media did not do their job and correct them. The White House was too polite—"civil," just like Obama promised—to say much. So people believed the lie. From this all else follows.

And it was all too predictable.

Consider February 24, 2009, when, after four glowing weeks in office, Obama delivered his first, triumphant, address to a joint session of Congress. Two weeks earlier, he had signed the $700 billion stimulus bill. This was his speech defending it.

That was the one in which Governor Bobby Jindal of Louisiana, looking like a cross between a deer in the headlights and a 10-year-old delivering a prize school report, delivered the Republican response. You remember! He singled out for excoriation the $140 million in stimulus spending "for something called 'volcano monitoring'"; this happened to be about a month before a volcano erupted, releasing a 60,000 foot cloud of ash near—dot dot dot—Wasilla, Alaska.

On CNN, David Brooks followed Jindal. He called the governor's "stale, government-is-the problem" rhetoric "a disaster for the Republican Party," and excoriated those who insisted on hugging tight to it as "insane." The people appeared to agree. In a snap poll, 92 percent of those surveyed had a positive reaction to Obama's speech—68 percent a very positive reaction. Only 8 percent had a negative reaction.

The next morning I tuned in to Rush Limbaugh. I was fascinated to see how the hell he might respond.

Like a deer in the headlights? Not quite. The first caller, though a self-professed ditto-head, took objection to Rush's argument that Obama had revealed himself in the speech as a tax-and-spend liberal. The caller quoted Obama's words: "Because of this plan, 95 percent of the working households in America will receive a tax cut—a tax cut that you will see in your paychecks beginning on April 1." (Which was true: People did.)

Rush responded, fluidly and without a gram of doubt. "Pay no attention to what Obama says. He means the opposite in most cases. What he says is irrelevant."

So the guy to whom all Republicans must kowtow on pain of political death had just laid down a marker that everything Obama said was a lie.

What if the White House had in those months in early 2009 put in the rhetorical forefront a story about Rush's tens of millions of listeners, and all politicians who refused to denounce Rush, were effectively saying anything the Chief Constitutional Officer of the United States said was a priori a diabolical lie?

But Obama didn't. That would be the "old politics of division." Not Obama's bag.

This would have been one of many opportunities to wedge the opposition between the authoritarian nihilists and the "constructive" Republicans who had America's best interests at heart. Instead, the nihilists got to tell the story that endures in the day-after punditry from last Tuesday: that the electorate "rejected Obama's agenda."

The vector worked, and works, like this:

(a) A mountebank teaches his millions of followers that everything the president says is a priori a lie;

b) The mainstream media that acts as if anything his millions of followers believe is a priori deserving of respect as heartland folk wisdom (note the cover article lionizing Limbaugh in this week's Newsweek);

(c) The president unilaterally renders himself constitutionally incapable of breaking the chain between (a) and (b), such that, (d), the assumption that Obama raised taxes when he really lowered them becomes hegemonic for a majority of the electorate, and even a large plurality of Democrats </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 14pt'>Lying by Republicans in politics to the Americna people has become the norm and the current media establishment are the enablers</span> they've been waiting for ever since Spiro Agnew uttered these famous words penned by William Safire. The Nattering Nabobs of Negativity </div></div>

link (http://crooksandliars.com/john-amato/media-should-ignore-michelle-bachmann-0)

Q </div></div>

They're so corrupt, and it's so obvious, yet the right is so ignorant, they never seem to get it, regardless of all of the proof.

Bait and switch, lies and fear mongering, is the crux of Republican communication.

Even after they spent this country into a severly economically, compromised condition, they now say that their last Congress, spent like Democrats! LMAO! They NEVER ACKNOWLEDGE THEIR OWN FAILURES,

Have you ever seen any rightie truly take responsibility for their ignorance, their nasty behavior, their incorrect statements, the damages they always oleave behind them?

When we are in a deep recession, Government spending, is a must, in order to renew the job market, we always have to spend, for research and development, education funding, re-buiding the infrastructure, and increasing our exports.

Doing that costs money! The RULE of ALL business, is that you have to spend money, to make money.

They don't even know what a TAX, really is! They have been paying a huge tax, for the corporate cheap labor, every month, partially by having to pick up the costs of Reagan's health care plan, LOL, illegals flooding into emergency rooms, for health care, and never paying the bill!! That's a one thousand dollar tax on every American.

The right is too stupid to understand that there are some things, that ONLY government, is equipped to achieve, particularly, when trying to overturn, something devastating, like the huge Bush Recession, or trying to prevent a disaster, like the Bush/Republican blank check, threatening Depression, which was diverted by President Obama.

G.

pooltchr
01-24-2011, 12:18 PM
One need only to read a few of your posts to understand how the radical moonbat left live in total denial. The bitter, overwhelming hatred exhibited is total proof that the radical left wing have done, and continue to do everything they can do to bring down this once great country.

Steve

JohnnyD
01-24-2011, 12:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One need only to read a few of your posts to understand how the radical moonbat left live in total denial. The bitter, overwhelming hatred exhibited is total proof that the radical left wing have done, and continue to do everything they can do to bring down this once great country.

Steve </div></div> It certainly appears to be laid out quite plainly.

eg8r
01-24-2011, 03:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As in: rule by liars.
</div></div>Well it has been a Dem controlled Congress for 4 years and we have enormous liar currently in the White House. I guess the author is on to something.

eg8r

Sev
01-24-2011, 05:39 PM
I think that ivory tower is tickling her brain stem again.