PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, admin mods, and question...

Soflasnapper
01-24-2011, 08:23 PM
I had a post up that prompted two posters whom I respect to complain.

I was most unhappy to offend anyone, and flagged my own post to the administrative moderator to see if they'd take it down for me.

YES THEY DID!!! (but it took 5 minutes or so, LOL!)

Thank you, whoever you are, very much. And I have amended my tagline to bear my earned scarlet letter.

I was ruminating about certain champions' career tracks (apparently downward). This is very much a sports topic for any sport I can think of, however more hurtful it may be if you know the people being discussed.

But is it too negative for this board?

Rich R.
01-25-2011, 05:35 AM
I don't think I saw the post in question but, if the post was about something in our sport in general, and not specifically hurtful to an individual, I say go for it. Open it for discussion.
If you think it was hurtful to a specific individual or several individuals, maybe you can reword the post to make it more general and acceptable.

pooltchr
01-25-2011, 07:28 AM
Sofla,
I don't think it was the content as much as it was the tone of the thread. The players mentioned in the thread have had great careers in the sport, and continue to enjoy some great success. I believe they deserve much respect for what they have already accomplished, and all that they continue to do.
I think it was somewhat unfair to be contemplating their demise while they are still strong competitors.
Perhaps, had you approached the subject a little differently, it wouldn't have received the replies it got.
I would think a fair topic for discussion might be whether the level of professional play overall has moved up to the point where those who once dominated now find themselves facing more players who have met or even surpassed the standards they set.

See the difference?

Steve

Fran Crimi
01-25-2011, 09:28 AM
My comment to that thread was "I hate this thread." I think it was written in poor taste, but that's just my opinion which I was entitled to express. You were the one who had the thread removed. If you want to revive the topic and discuss the players who you feel are on their way out, by all means, feel free. Just count me out of the discussion.

JJFSTAR
01-25-2011, 10:18 AM
That must have been one heck of a thread; wish I had seen it. People are so sensitive. Softassnap whatever you do don’t start not saying what you think and asking what you want to ask because some people think that you should have said it or asked it differently.

Goodness knows I said and posed questions in very poor formats in my life especially in my 20’s and early 30’s and sometimes still do. My personal opinion is that most people need to “lighten up”. I am sure I will get contrary opinions to that statement from the “tight ____’s” on this board; I say go ahead, in advance.

Perhaps you should in the future preface such threads with a rating similar to the television and movie industry like nfpwta’s or something like that. That way you will get only the people who are willing to discuss anything that is about pool without drama.

Bambu
01-25-2011, 02:46 PM
I dont think its such a big deal. I think most people would agree that comebacks are possible, certainly by a pro.

Fran Crimi
01-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Hey take it easy willya? I have no idea if you were referring to me as one of the tight arses but if so, trust me, I ain't. I just have the right to express my likes and dislikes just like you and everyone else does.

Oh and not that you or anyone else cares, but I am definitely sensitive. It took me a lifetime to learn that that's a good thing and not a bad thing. It's my best attribute when I work with a player wanting to improve their game.

Soflasnapper
01-25-2011, 04:45 PM
I agree with you, Fran.

I try to remain mindful of the difference between what I have a right to say, and whether I show good judgment in how I say what I have a right to say. Those are not the same, of course, and I try to use good judgment (along with flippancy, sarcasm, etc. as style effects). Sometimes I may cross the line, which I regret and try to fix.

Chopstick
01-25-2011, 07:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with you, Fran.

I try to remain mindful of the difference between what I have a right to say, and whether I show good judgment in how I say what I have a right to say. Those are not the same, of course, and I try to use good judgment (along with flippancy, sarcasm, etc. as style effects). Sometimes I may cross the line, which I regret and try to fix. </div></div>

<span style="color: #000099">I salute you sir and look forward to completely disagreeing with you in the future.</span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

pooltchr
01-26-2011, 08:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="color: #000099">I salute you sir and look forward to completely disagreeing with you in the future.</span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif </div></div>

That's a great line. Can I use it in the future??
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Steve

Sev
01-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Softla upset somebody???
Impossible I say. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Soflasnapper
01-30-2011, 07:49 PM
It's hard to believe, I know, since LWW doesn't post over on this side.

Sev
02-02-2011, 12:03 PM
That can be arranged. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif