PDA

View Full Version : Hatch & Cornyn Propose Balanced Budget Amendment

Sev
01-26-2011, 09:33 AM
A good listen.

http://www.therightscoop.com/levin-e...dget-amendment

Soflasnapper
01-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Every balanced budget proposal I've ever heard of provides exceptions for when we're at war, in a recession, or in a grave national emergency (indeed, emergency spending is not put in the budget at all, nor is it capped by various pay-go or other fiscal restraint policies).

Which is only sensible, btw.

Assuming such exemptions to this amendment exist, it will a) have no current effect and b) may never have any effect.

This is windowdressing, to replace the hard choices the GOP and the Democrats refuse to make (in differing areas of fiscal restraint). I believe Reagan claimed to favor this, and that the GOP platform called for it, and that in the past, they never took a single step to begin to push it at all.

Sev
01-26-2011, 06:16 PM
We will see.
However if states have balanced budget amendments then the federal government should as well. It can and does work. Specific exceptions are necessary and as long as they are well defined and provide no alternative interpretations there should be no problem.

After all not every day of Americas existence is an emergency.

LWW
01-27-2011, 05:31 AM
What we need is a new constitutional convention.

LWW

Soflasnapper
01-27-2011, 07:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We will see.
However if states have balanced budget amendments then the federal government should as well. It can and does work. Specific exceptions are necessary and as long as they are well defined and provide no alternative interpretations there should be no problem.

After all not every day of Americas existence is an emergency. </div></div>

Actually, we are and have been in a declared state of emergency, I think for decades. Given a declared emergency, the supposedly legal powers of the president are dictatorial. Under such a regime, Constitutional law is entirely optional and a nice touch that they still leave us the form of law status quo ante.

Sev
01-27-2011, 12:53 PM
They have yet to declare marshal law. Although the FEMA camps are apparently ready.

LWW
01-28-2011, 06:33 AM
TFH time.

LWW