PDA

View Full Version : how does WPBA decides who plays?

shayla
09-06-2002, 12:52 PM
I've always wondered how the WPBA decides who will play in their tournaments? I know the top 32 are automatically going to play. I know they have a certain number of spots for Qualifier winners. How do they figure the rest? Is there like a waiting list? Do some players have the grandfather clause? I've always wondered how Jeri Engh gets to play in these tournaments. Since the wpba.com rankings only go so far, I don't know what her official ranking is. I don't remember hearing about her winning any recent qualifiers? So, lets say she isn't highly ranked, and she doesn't win qualifiers, how does she get to play?

Curious,
Shayla

Ken
09-06-2002, 02:39 PM
AZBilliards' ranking list goes up to 114 and Jeri is listed as 50. I would think that in a field of 64 she would probably get in by her ranking especially since not all those ranked higher would necessarily be participating in each event. It costs a lot to be a "professional" pool player.
KenCT

CarolNYC
09-07-2002, 04:00 AM
The Touring Pros get automatic entry,then qualifying winners,then pros/semipros on waiting list and there is also promoter spots!
Carol

09-07-2002, 06:54 AM
Carol, JE is no doubt liked by everyone associated with the tour. However, the only reason she may be ranked as high as #50 (which will earn her invitations into nearly every event) is the flawed WPBA point system of awarding a minimal number of ranking points even those players that go 2-and-out in an event. Those 5 or 10 points alone per event will keep a player like JE ranked ahead of other more deserving players who may get the opportunity to play in less events (due to not having won enough qualifiers), but who win more matches when they get there. I think this may be one issue (and problem) that the board recently addressed and possibly revamped. - Chris in NC

Barbara
09-07-2002, 08:13 AM
Shayla,

The way the WPBA decides who gets to play in a tournament goes something like this:

First, all Touring Pros are invited.

Second, all the the women who won qualifiers for that event are placed.

Third, the two promoter spots are included.

Fourth, The Active Pros and Pros are solicited. Those with the most WPBA points are asked first and then they go down the line.

And lastly, the Semi Pro players from the various regional tours are invited by WPBA points rankings.

Barbara

shayla
09-07-2002, 09:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris in NC:</font><hr> Carol, JE is no doubt liked by everyone associated with the tour. However, the only reason she may be ranked as high as #50 (which will earn her invitations into nearly every event) is the flawed WPBA point system of awarding a minimal number of ranking points even those players that go 2-and-out in an event. Those 5 or 10 points alone per event will keep a player like JE ranked ahead of other more deserving players who may get the opportunity to play in less events (due to not having won enough qualifiers), but who win more matches when they get there. I think this may be one issue (and problem) that the board recently addressed and possibly revamped. - Chris in NC <hr></blockquote>

Thanks, Chris.
Thats pretty much what I was wondering. I see some of the girls from my Regional Tour trying so hard to get to play in the WPBA, then I see someone like Jeri Engh playing in a tournament like the BCA 9-Ball and wonder how she got there. I know many of the up and coming players can pretty much beat her hands down. But I guess its like you said... those pesky 2-and-out points!

-Shayla

facets58
09-07-2002, 11:44 AM
Hi Barbara,

The only change in what you listed is that Pros and Semi-Pros get invited strictly by ranking. Active pros and touring pros are the only players that get bumped up because of their status--not Pros.

Mike Hurst--

Barbara
09-07-2002, 11:52 AM
Mike,

Good point. Also, the regional tour standings 60 days out from the next WPBA event determines which semi-pro goes.

I still wonder how the heck Lisa Merkin is getting invited to these events when she has never won a Q? IMO, Jeri's game has jumped up a bit, but Lisa doesn't belong there and shouldn't be playing in them - that's the real waste of a spot.

Barbara

09-07-2002, 11:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: shayla:</font><hr> I've always wondered how the WPBA decides who will play in their tournaments?

... Jeri Engh ...?

Shayla <hr></blockquote>

Imo,I'll give it a shot Shayla but keep in mind it may not necessarily be in this order /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

'what have you done for me lately' primary procedure

nepotism

'what have you done for me lately' secondary procedure

the biggest tipper

the second biggest tipper

a coin-flip

lag

arm wrestle

Has she ever won a match?
This is a prime example of a flawed system.Two and out should get zero money and absolutely a minimum or no points at all.BS

CarolNYC
09-08-2002, 03:23 AM
Hey Chris,
I give alot of credit to JE-she has alot of heart and alot of expenses just to play in a pro-event,if you think about it!500 entry,airfare,hotels-some people cannot financially afford these expenses,especially without a sponsor,ya know?As for the points,the regional tours have the same system-if you go two&amp;out, you get 15 points,lets say March, next March, you lose those points and you may play 100% better and now get 80 points,so standings are constantly shifting around,but you have to get SOME points for playing:)In my opinion, the CAT tour was one tour the semi-pro should have jumped on because there were no points to be lost,only gained!And if a deserving player wins more rounds at a pro-event, they will advance quicker than the ones going two&amp;out, but I know what your saying:)
Have a good day!
Carol~agrees with the current payout,also-2&amp;out,no money!

09-08-2002, 08:16 AM
Carol, to give you an example, who in your opinion is more deserving of being awarded a spot in a U.S. Open field?

Player A - who has played in the last 10 events and earned 150 tour points (15 points per event) by going 2-and-out in every event - with a cumulative 0-20 match record all against non-seeded players.

Or player B - that has won 3 qualifiers in the past 18 months which has earned her a spot in 3 Classic tour events - in which she placed at least in the top third of the field (T17) in all events and has a cumulative winning match record (10-6) for all her matches in those 3 events including some impressive wins over seeded players, but who only has earned 145 tour points as a result of those 3 finishes?

Carol, I think the answer should be rather obvious, but based on the current points system (unless it was just changed), player A will get the invite from the waiting list to fill a tournament field every time over player B. This is not just a hypothetical example, but is actually occuring on the WPBA tour right now with certain talented and deserving players being robbed of their opportunity to play on the tour due to the flawed system. - Chris in NC

Nostroke
09-08-2002, 06:46 PM
I dont think Sharon W has ever won a qualifier or spot (Barb?) but she squeezed in there and now seems to belong. Im not trying to justify it or knock it- i just think its interesting how her game improved once she got in there.

Lisa I THINK has taken advantage of a "last moment" list where she has made it known she will be there with the cash ready to play no matter when they call if someone drops out.

CarolNYC
09-09-2002, 03:17 AM
Hey Chris,
Your absolutely correct!My choice-player "B"!
Have a nice day!
Carol

CarolNYC
09-09-2002, 03:41 AM
(speaking gently)
Nostroke,
Sharon DID win qualifiers! She is a very respectable player and deserves to be where she is!:)
Carol

09-09-2002, 09:22 AM
That's exactly the problem, Ken. Even though Jeri is ranked 50th on the WPBA list, she's gone two and out in every event that counts towards that ranking. But, she keeps getting points and keeps taking a spot that might otherwise go to a new player. The current WPBA system is designed to preserve the status quo, and given the sharp upswing in the level of the women's game recently, that has to be changed.

Nostroke
09-09-2002, 08:21 PM
Ok well i said i wasn't sure. I must have missed her wins in the qualifiers. Im sorry if it seemed i was knocking her. I wasn't.

Sharon is a friend. I once promised her (some nerve i have) that she would win a qualifier soon when she was a bit down after just missing for the nth time and i know for the longest time after that she still kept "just missing" but im glad that she eventually did and not so glad i missed congratulating her for it.

As i said she definitely plays good now! We use to battle even, then the eight and now she gives me the 7 and i can't win whereas some of the other qualifier winners only give me the 8 and it's competitive.